We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Atari to file for Bankruptcy - [Up: Something done with shares, got some money again!]

Eudemon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TDU2 was Atari and Eden, the TEST DRIVE brand still has recognition and whoever buys it can make it something better. To be honest it may be harder to sell the ATARI name and logo as lately it became synonymous with crap when seen on a game box.

A wise publisher would use the IP to it's fullest. Release TDU3 and release a game on iOS and Android similar to the older games that people love due to the nostalgia trip. In fact imagine a game where you had to progress through the generations of TD by playing each one.

Is anyone really going to buy the Test Drive series after the monstrosity that is TDU2?

I was happy to read Atari is going to sell the franchise, but that doesn't automatically give me back the interest in a TDU3. First of all I want to see where the game ends up at, because if the game will be handled by EA for example, I might even try harder to stay away from it.

However, if some other, better dev gets hands on it and makes a great game, I will still not buy the game day 1. I think I'll just wait for community reviews, read if the game is stable, nice to play and not full of useless dung, like yet again a story line (read it for once devs: only POD's storyline added to the game) or the game being some ''The Sims'' with ''drivable vehicle expansion pack''...

Ah well.... lets first watch who's gonna pick up the rights to TD. At least we're done now with Atari and Eden's incompetence, wrong management and plain ignorance. Just to hope these aspects aren't sold as well and come bundled with every title for sale.....

TDU franchise for sale

Yes guys, it's finally over, TDU franchise is for sale ==> 1,5 millions $

http://www.atari.com/sites/default/files/Atari_CP_Ench%C3%A8res_20130529_EN%28final%29.pdf

Maybe a new start for our franchise I hope...

Maybe we could send that link to polyphony digial or WMD :)

• 3 weeks later...

A non-profit is looking to start a kickstarter in order to hopefully buy Atari and all it's assets.

Non-Profit Makes a Play to Save Atari | SYS-CON MEDIA

According to ASU President, Will Adkins, the proceeds will be used to establish a game development studio that will offer a hands-on learning experience for ASU students, reforge the development process in partnership with independent developers, and assume the role of steward for as many Atari titles as possible. As steward, ASU will evaluate each title. Where feasible, franchises will be rebooted and commercialized to support the on-going operations of the organization's academic mission. Other titles may be released as open-source code as part of an initiative to promote collaboration and learning from existing works.

Website has been setup too: Home - The 'Save Atari' Project

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

• 1 month later...

(Atari )Test Drive on Auction

Atari Inc. seeks to generate $22M by auctioning assets in July

Test Drive - Min. Bid will be $1.5M

I hope good company will buy it and can't wait TDU3 :cry:

What is newses who is buying TDU ?

Atari Inc. seeks to generate $22M by auctioning assets in July

It's August :oook:

We've already got threads about this, there have been no announcements as to who purchased the TD license and for how much, we only know that Eden Games now exists again and will tell us more soon.

It's August :oook:

We've already got threads about this, there have been no announcements as to who purchased the TD license and for how much, we only know that Eden Games now exists again and will tell us more soon.

Because they haven't recieved any bid on auction for TDU or Roller Coaster franchise

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give a small but important update on this.

Atari Inc. bought themselves another 30 days last month to devise a plan that works for all, if this is no good then proposals from everyone else will be looked at too. And it looks like the creditors (those wanting PAID) have joined up to get as much as they can. So the clock is ticking...

"New York (August 22, 2013) - Atari Inc. on Wednesday received bankruptcy judge’s approval to extend its control over its Chapter 11 case for 30 days until Sept. 20 to file an exit plan without the threat of rival plans being submitted."

• 1 month later...

A July auction fetched Atari a total of $5.1 million for its “Humongous,” “Total Annihilation” and other smaller franchises. The company failed to sell the intellectual property related to its Atari name as well as its valuable “Rollercoaster Tycoon” and “Test Drive” franchises. It had hoped to get at least $20 million for those three assets.

So instead of selling them, Atari said its French parent—which filed for the French version of bankruptcy in January—would retain “Test Drive,” “Rollercoaster Tycoon” and the Atari brand. It said it would make a filing later describing more details about those assets.

Under its proposal, Atari will pay off a $3.8 million bankruptcy loan to lender Alden Global Capital. Atari will use any remaining money to pay up to $560,000 to unsecured creditors when it leaves bankruptcy, another $560,000 a year after that and $630,000 the following year, the company said in court filings.

Those sums represent a fraction of what those creditors are owed.

Atari’s French parent will pay up to $3.4 million in cash to fund the proposal, and contribute an additional $1.75 million once the plan becomes effective.

The company will ask a judge to send its proposal to creditors for a vote at an Oct. 29 hearing.

Samsung looked into buying Atari? Yep seems that way.

Samsung's acquisition list zeroes in on software -- report | Mobile - CNET News

• 1 month later...

Another update, 2 weeks late with this but hell who keeps upto date with the going ons at Atari these days?!

Interesting little bit relating to TEST DRIVE is mentioned though.

Atari and the parent determined the “business and remaining assets have substantial value that would not otherwise be realized in a liquidation.” The video-game maker would reorganize around titles such as “RollerCoaster Tycoon,” “Test Drive” and “Centipede.”

Atari Wins Approval to Send Plan to Vote: Bankruptcy - Bloomberg Law

Atari wins approval to overcome bankruptcy