We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Top Gear Season 19 Discussion Thread

iLLGT3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Anyone who isn't delusional can see that the first half with Richard and then James was great, but the Star-In-A.... was okay and Clarkson's bit was the usual predictable, seen-it-before rubbish.

Then call me delusional (again, you always do), I agree with most of that but I wouldn't call the last part rubbish, it just isn't what us and a lot of people want from topgear, it's more general entertainment (though it dragged on a bit more than I wanted it too) than a show about cars.

It didn't make me want to turn over, so I wouldn't call it rubbish, it just wasn't as good as the first half.

Then call me delusional (again, you always do), I agree with most of that but I wouldn't call the last part rubbish, it just isn't what us and a lot of people want from topgear, it's more general entertainment (though it dragged on a bit more than I wanted it too) than a show about cars.

It didn't make me want to turn over, so I wouldn't call it rubbish, it just wasn't as good as the first half.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was ACTUALLY funny, but as it isn't, it's just rubbish. And yes, you are. :)

Thought the whole episode was good, the end bit while not directly serious motoring telly was light hearted and enjoyable, I've seen plenty of people moaning about it and not just on here, but really if you don't like it find that remote and switch over no one is forcing you to watch it :)

Always guaranteed to come here and find someone complaining about the latest TG. Just like being on FB.
Rightfully so when what you watch is pretty dire don't you think? So you liked the P45 bit, I didn't and I am a Top Gear fan so I don't hate TG but that part was so fake, forced and long that I found myself getting bored and wishing on the next bit, but it never came! :(

I didn't spend the entire show commenting on how I knew what was going to happen or be said next.
Neither did I, but my mind was predicting what was coming as it was so obvious. The only 'good' bits for me was when the unpredictable happened where the thing would judder and skit about on the road sometimes.

I challenge anyone here to go back and watch all the old episodes, knowing what you know now about TG... and then come away and shout how great you thought it was, when you first saw it.
I watch Dave often and the older episodes were so much better, it seems to all go wrong from the Caravan park episode as before that it was actually good in it's comedic sequences and felt a lot less forced. Think the 10k supercars, the country cottage Merc S-Class, cheap Porsches, make your own Police car and a good number more.

Some crazy high expectations here, I feel. Lower them just a bit and be grateful you can still watch it for free.
Why would we be grateful for that? It's the BBC of course we get it for free. :)

:cheeky:

Rightfully so when what you watch is pretty dire don't you think?

If I thought it was dire, I'd follow Baldy's advice and turn it off. Just like I do with almost every episode of fifth gear.

Wheeler Dealers is exactly the same every show, but I still enjoy it.

American Chopper was the same bike built each time with more arguing and lawsuits every show, but I still watch the reruns. Just watching them build Lance Armstrong's bike... guys still a legend. Just now he's a scapegoat of 2 massively corrupt organisations.

So you liked the P45 bit, I didn't and I am a Top Gear fan so I don't hate TG but that part was so fake, forced and long that I found myself getting bored and wishing on the next bit, but it never came! :(

Yeah I did. The Dragons den part was a bit contrived but still gave me a chuckle... especially when he couldn't understand the grumpy Scottish one.

Of course its fake. It would be duller than Blue Peter if they kept it real.

I watch Dave often and the older episodes were so much better, it seems to all go wrong from the Caravan park episode as before that it was actually good in it's comedic sequences and felt a lot less forced.

Of course it was better. Back then we didn't have a stack of great TG's to compare it too. Only old TG when Tiff and Quentin were still there.

And the very first season of new TG was pretty dire when that fat bloke (Jason Dawe) was still trying to sound clever.

Top Gear is past its prime i think, but its not as bad as all the internet whiners are making out.

Remember the Senna episode? That was excellent, even though I really don't have much interest in F1, it was. If TG could do anything remotely as good as that, or at the very least dropped the scripting and instead actually got into a car and had a laugh (a real one!!) it would be great. If May and Hammond keep doing good bits I'll just watch that and ignore the boring, unfunny Jezza stupidity.

Remember the Senna episode? That was excellent, even though I really don't have much interest in F1, it was. If TG could do anything remotely as good as that, or at the very least dropped the scripting and instead actually got into a car and had a laugh (a real one!!) it would be great. If May and Hammond keep doing good bits I'll just watch that and ignore the boring, unfunny Jezza stupidity.

There amazing parts are what makes me not at all bothered by the sometimes poor sometimes average parts. The two that come to mind are the V12 Vantage review, which was stunning and the Race2Recovery segment which was genuinely moving.

So. Late to the party, but I enjoyed it.

Clarkson did his usual scripted hilarity, which I actually laughed at, even though the DD bit was horrifically painful at times (still overall quite funny). Hammond and May seem to be coming around to provide the meat of the show which I am very pleased to see, it's been all about JC for too long, I think.

I certainly understand why some people might not enjoy it as much as they used to, the show has changed moderately, but I feel like it's still close enough to the "original, new TG" to keep viewing audiences happy.

The Bentley on the rallye bit was amazing to watch, favourite bit of the episode for me.