We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

MrLolololXD's 2002 Toyota Supra SZ-R

Guest MrLolololXD

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MrLolololXD
What's to celebrate? Here we are so many years later and there still isn't a MkV. :(

I see that as both a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that if there is no Supra successor well the car that was at the end of the line is indeed legendary. Half of me says that if Toyota were to make a new Supra they'd not live up to expectations with it and damage the Supra name. The bad thing is, well, they don't have a real sports car to compete in the high-end of the market anymore. I'd like to see just what they would come up with to rival the new generation of supercars.

You have no idea what the cops are like in australia, they will find any reason possible to defect an import, especially if it has P plates on it!

I just happen to live in the suburb where the cop with the worst reputation for picking on modified cars in the country is stationed. He's known across the whole country. He's even defected Japanese car owners for not having enough water in the windscreen washer bottle if he can't find anything else.

He got on the news not long ago for defecting and demanding the removal of the standard DRL's (daytime running lights) on a brand new 86, saying they're not legal... Which they are, infact in some countries the design rules are being updated to say all new cars require DRL's as a standard safety feature. Funny thing is that from the factory Holden's have an optional tint that is almost 2x darker than the legal limit and 12k headlights, the law says anything above about 6k is illegal, yet they are sold this way and not picked on, when a Japanese car with a legal safety feature gets picked on?!?

EDIT: As far as the car itself is going, it's going... swell.

Also planing to drive up to Sydney at the start of October for the Australian 20th anniversary of the MK4 Supra. The goal is to have the biggest gathering of MK4 Supras in the one place ever. Pretty sure over 100 cars have confirmed they're going so far. They were initially aiming for 150 MKIV Supras, then all the MKI/II/III's aswell.

I reckon there's still a gap that could be filled with a Japanese sports car similar to the 86 (but with more performance and a little more luxury) that could be priced to compete with hot hatches for those who prefer a RWD sports car. I'm not sure that Toyota would do it though.

If anything Holden would be closest to the mark atm with their new models at cheaper pricing. We can get the SSV Redline with a 6.0L V8 producing 362bhp and 580nm of torque at $51490 AUD + ORC, and of course there are cheaper/less powerful models. The powerful Holden's used to cost something like $70k iirc.

I'd like to see what comes of the higher performance version that the 86's designer is working on. And I do think they could do a Supra, doubt it'll live up to everyone's expectations because everyone has different expectations. Back in the day that generation of sports cars offered brilliant refinement compared to some of the rivals but to do that in the current times, it's much more difficult. Create something with rivaling luxuries as well as rivaling speed, don't forget the Supra TT was a bit of a Porsche/Ferrari beater at the time. And then there's the task of making it affordable enough to wear a Toyota badge. It was about time Japan had a go though, so I'm glad Toyota took the gamble with the 86.

The new Supra would be a totally different car, probably a Lexus-based hybrid coupe I bet... With the hybrid technology, luxury stuff and other poop Toyota will have to price it somewhere in between 38 - 45 k € and if you look at, for example, a BMW 435i does not cost much more than expected. I mean, what car would a 21st Century 30yrs old man buy? A BMW, or a just hybrid Toyota coupe? It really is not easy. And they have Lexus that is now working on the LF-LC.

They really nailed it with the 86/BRZ, though. That was a great decision.

I see that as both a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that if there is no Supra successor well the car that was at the end of the line is indeed legendary. Half of me says that if Toyota were to make a new Supra they'd not live up to expectations with it and damage the Supra name. The bad thing is, well, they don't have a real sports car to compete in the high-end of the market anymore. I'd like to see just what they would come up with to rival the new generation of supercars.

I just happen to live in the suburb where the cop with the worst reputation for picking on modified cars in the country is stationed. He's known across the whole country. He's even defected Japanese car owners for not having enough water in the windscreen washer bottle if he can't find anything else.

He got on the news not long ago for defecting and demanding the removal of the standard DRL's (daytime running lights) on a brand new 86, saying they're not legal... Which they are, infact in some countries the design rules are being updated to say all new cars require DRL's as a standard safety feature. Funny thing is that from the factory Holden's have an optional tint that is almost 2x darker than the legal limit and 12k headlights, the law says anything above about 6k is illegal, yet they are sold this way and not picked on, when a Japanese car with a legal safety feature gets picked on?!?

EDIT: As far as the car itself is going, it's going... swell.

Also planing to drive up to Sydney at the start of October for the Australian 20th anniversary of the MK4 Supra. The goal is to have the biggest gathering of MK4 Supras in the one place ever. Pretty sure over 100 cars have confirmed they're going so far. They were initially aiming for 150 MKIV Supras, then all the MKI/II/III's aswell.

I have heard about cops like him before, really makes your blood boil when cops act like that, so glad cops are so much nicer over here in NZ

Guest MrLolololXD

And so this is how my car sits after yesterday

9645848884_049520b2b3_b.jpg

002 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9642621115_9cdb68a988_b.jpg

003 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9645898138_fe1b84b9a6_b.jpg

005 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9645890276_e1d25d704c_b.jpg

008 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9642646491_00525a0cc3_b.jpg

010 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9642669293_02c0006cc9_b.jpg

011 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

By the end of next weekend it should be all done and back together :msuh3: Then it's time to hit the road :cool:

Might need to get an alarm installed before insuring it, so that means before driving it, but I may have a certain amount of time to install an alarm after insuring it, not sure, but I want an alarm put on asap anyway.

I've also taken a liking to the badgeless hatch, was thinking I might not put the new Supra badge on, just the Toyota emblem. Would look a lot 'cleaner', we'll see...

don't get an aftermarket alarm, they tend to suck and ruin your loom. I'm sure Toyota has an OEM one?

The MK IV Supra had a factory Alarm as an option, although if they are available anymore I have no clue at all.

Come to think of it, shouldn't the car have come with an alarm if it had all the options?

In other news, I think the car is looking awesome now. You'd be forgiven for thinking that it's factory fresh :P

Guest MrLolololXD

There are actually a couple of options it didn't come with that I didn't know were available on the SZ-R

The active front lip, conlight, rear window visor, alarm and the subwoofer. All of those are pretty rare options, apart from the alarm. At the time I thought the active front lip was only available on the RZ-S and on the RZ as standard.

And the standard alarms were pretty crap, most people replace them pretty quickly with aftermarket ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MrLolololXD

My grandfather passed away yesterday... Here's a pic from when just before my car was painted. I'd been telling him for ages about it and how it was coming all the way from Japan, while it was being imported earlier in the year, he couldn't wait to see it. Luckily he got down to my work one day a little while back while I was on my lunch break to see it.

He thought it was really cool, unfortunately he never got to go for a ride in it though. He probably wouldn't have been able to anyway because he had to climb down into it because it's so low, he was in a motorcycle crash years ago and his legs were basically made of steel plates which made it pretty hard for him to climb in and out of lower cars.

But he will be missed :( He was an engineer and was really skilled at what he did, he'd machined up many custom parts for my rc cars over the years, we were even talking about doing a couple of things for the Supra, but alas it was not to be. There were still so many things to do with that kind of work that I was really looking forward to learning off him.

9851089806_1a5f09e4f2_b.jpg

016 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

Guest MrLolololXD

Thanks guys

Looks like you have wrenching and all that car stuff in blood, don't ya. :)

Yep, literally my whole life revolves around cars in one way or another. I don't know where I'd be without cars... I'm one of those people that is probably seen as pretty boring to non-car people when talking to them, because I have no clue what they're on about and all I talk about is cars.

Guest MrLolololXD

Some pics of my new headlight globes, Philips Crystal Visions. They're pure white light, when turned off they give the housings a slight blue tinge, which I think looks really awesome, didn't get a pic of that though due to low-lighting conditions and not being able to see it too well.

I've (obviously) replaced the low beam, high beam and fog lights with them. They also come with some free, matching parker light bulbs, I also have matching white rear numberplate lights.

Just the low beams + parkers

9949241044_7e1aaaa301_b.jpg

008 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

All lights

9949269104_deb81a0bf5_b.jpg

003 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9949275756_a950dffec7_b.jpg

002 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9949249524_272c7b4a57_b.jpg

006 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

And this should give you a rough idea of the colour light they project, going by the reflections on the back of the Bentley

9949256176_46368986da_b.jpg

004 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr

9949285676_e86bfcbe5f_b.jpg

009 by MrLolololXD, on Flickr