We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Prophecy's scale model cars

Prophecy

Hey all, this thread is dedicated to my project cars- no one ever said they had to be full size cars, nor did they day that they had to work ;) Yes, you guessed correct, i've begun building scale models lol.

I've always been interested, but never had the interest to really do it. I have had a Tamiya 180sx kit waiting to be built for about a year now, but I just couldnt be bothered. When I found a 1:24 Tamiya AE92 Trueno GTZ snaplock kit on ebay for a measly 25 dollars, I just had to have it, given that its actually my favourite car :D

So here we go, I went and got paint etc today, ready to paint tomorrow (its raining here tonight...), got some photos of the shell etc.

8459897543_1cbacc8b02_c.jpg

8459903603_8cea968610_c.jpg

8460993956_00b06d2b48_c.jpg

8459893051_07b73109c9_c.jpg

8460992276_602dd7e433_c.jpg

8459891147_07ede5eaf2_c.jpg

8459890077_16eb972320_c.jpg

I love the standard 'ninja star' wheels, but I actually have a set of 17" TE37's on their way that should fit, which i'll paint white. The car will be red. I will keep the standard wheels as part of the display with the car though. Keep watching, this SHOULD be a fairly quick build. I'll probably have pretty much everything done by the time the wheels turn up. :) Very excited, I can legitimately say I have an AE92 Trueno GTZ project car now :P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MrLolololXD

Nice Matt :btup

I was wondering for a while what happened to that 180SX kit lol.

I just got a few more kits in the mail last week. I need to actually do one from start to finish though, not just paint it, polish it and then not put it together :fp: Hopefully my model thread will see a revival soon with a finished kit :D

Ryzza: Is there any way of changing the thread title? I hadn't thought of that, and I see how it might hinder my views lol.

Cis: Thanks :) its good to hear from you again btw.

khevolution: Thanks for the interest :) Ebay seems to be a pretty good place to look, tbh, theres plenty on there and mostly through ebay stores, rather than auctions. Can get many on there that you just cant find in stores, like this Trueno for instance.

Harley: Yeah work on your damn models man, lmao. Thanks mate ahah :)

Well. Reported the first post, hopefully thats enough :P.

*thread gets blocked and deleted*

--- Post Updated ---

Just found an AE92 FX-GT Tamiya Snaploc kit on ebay too... Auction, ends in pretty much exactly 24 hours, hopefully I can snap it up too. Would be great to have both. Thats the hatchback in my sig, for anyone who doesnt know (expecting that to be everyone, tbh)

Upon testing the red paint I bought, I found that compared to the real red on these model corollas/etc, its far too orangey. So instead, I had a choice of Essex white; the colour my AE92 liftback is painted, or gloss black (generic)- both in aerosol cans in the shed... Opted for gloss black, as white seemed a little pointless over a white body with white primer. Loving the result :)

8463942008_a2700c48fb_c.jpg

8463940360_7b66be1fa0_c.jpg

8462839217_23587e9795_c.jpg

8463937804_2b941df968_c.jpg

8462836569_f36ef53795_c.jpg

I have assembled the body, basically, since the photos- spoiler, bonnet scoop and wing mirrors are on and painted, leaving it to dry properly for a few hours. I'm waiting on a few more paints, I didnt realize how important they were, but the shop I went to didnt have them regardless. Chrome silver, flat aluminium, gold leaf and semi gloss black, all coming from Taipei lol. You need chrome for a few things, but most importantly to me at the moment- you need to paint the area behind the tail lights, as they are clear, so especially on black, theyre just too dark. Might get the indicators and corner lights finished later and put them on, all thats needed with them is a sticker on each lense, then they can go into the shell, just gotta wait for the paint on the shell to dry first.

p.s. if you were wondering, yes, I have some (little) experience in actual automotive painting. :)

Guest MrLolololXD

Maybe, leave it for a day before you clear it. Make sure the paint and clear are matching types of paint too. If they're from the same company they should be fine. Do light mist coats first, try 3 really light mist coats of clear, followed by 2 'normal' heavier coats

Nice one mate :) Indicators/corner lights are finished and fitted, but my camera batterys died, lol.

And in much more exciting news, given that it doesnt go missing in the post, i've secured an AE92 FX GT model kit too :D Very excited, it should arrive in a couple of weeks. Now... so as to save as much shipping time as possible, whos got some ideas for wheels to go on it? I've already got te37's on the way for the trueno, so i'd like something else, but not watanabes as i've grown tired of them.

--- Post Updated ---

Actually, lol, sorry guys, I decided on Watanabes after all, after looking at some real FX GT's with them. Might put them on the Trueno and put the TE37's on it instead, who knows, i'll get them both built and painted to that stage and see which looks better.

My FX-GT kit arrived today. Already painted the body, did it Essex white, the same colour as my car. Came up very dull so I shot a couple of clears over the top, hasnt come up too bad, will give it a polish in a few days.Still waiting on the crucial chrome paint etc to arrive so I can move forward, at the moment i'm stuck lol.

I'll have a progress photo up shortly after my phone charges enough to take photos lol.

Guest MrLolololXD
My FX-GT kit arrived today. Already painted the body, did it Essex white, the same colour as my car. Came up very dull so I shot a couple of clears over the top, hasnt come up too bad, will give it a polish in a few days.Still waiting on the crucial chrome paint etc to arrive so I can move forward, at the moment i'm stuck lol.

I'll have a progress photo up shortly after my phone charges enough to take photos lol.

Nice :) If you do polish/wax the car, I'd wait a week for the paint to fully cure hard. Hopefully I'll have an update for my thread tonight too :cheeese:

I might give all this a go sometime, maybe...

No not maybe, definitely :nods:

Crappy phone pics are the BEST pics.

8470527390_abb3da21d2_c.jpg

8469431637_e7bffbfa66_c.jpg

I'll try to get some better ones with a proper camera tomorrow lol. Pretty happy with them both though, as I said, the hatch needs a bit of a polish to make it shine, but that should be it. Frustrated that i'm waiting on paint to put them together though... The store I bought them off hasnt even posted them yet, do they not know that I'm very impatient? lol.

edit: no, the colour coding of the cars to the illustration on the box was not intentional baha.

As it turns out I probably looked like a total ass, the paint seller was off work because of Chinese New Year. Still waiting for confirmation that theyve been sent though, he assured me its all sorted...

In good news though, my RS Watanabes turned up this morning and OH my god. Very good indeed. Quickly holding them in the wheel arches of the 2 cars helped me decide, they suit the Trueno much better, te37's (which havent arrived, despite buying them 2 days earlier lol) will go on the FX.

HOWEVER. No photos because my internet has been slowed to pre-dialup speeds, due to reaching the bandwidth limit. I'll upload them next.