We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

DRIVECLUB {DT} - Brand new team-based game for PS4

Eudemon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just waiting for them to confirm G25 support and some positive reviews and I'll probably get this with a PS4 next year...

does your csr work with ps3 ryzza?

I'm really thorn between the consoles too, though since I'll probably get both of them I should get a wheel that is compatible with both

Looks good, and also arcade as hell. :lol:
Ridge Racer, Mario Kart, F-Zero etc is arcade as hell, this is like a blend a la PGR and should be a good fun racer because of this. The delay is going to allow evo to make this game exactly as they want, and it looks absolutely incredible. Good to see they are also concentrating on the sounds of the cars too.

does your csr work with ps3 ryzza?

I'm really thorn between the consoles too, though since I'll probably get both of them I should get a wheel that is compatible with both

Yes, in PS3 mode it emulates a G25. Back when pCARS was new and didn't support Fanatec wheels (hadn't implemented the SDK) we could install the Logitech drivers on PC and use PS3 mode - Windows saw it as a G25. :)

No idea how legal that is but it works well.

No existing wheel will work with Xbone due to their new force feedback implementation (which in a few years time could be really good, but I'm not wasting money on that just to play Forza... not again... not anytime soon). PS4 is still ????? They just said some PS3 accesories wouldn't work which is ambiguous.

• 1 month later...

Rushy posted this Showreel video on his twitter, which includes some interesting UI concept images of the game. As they are just concepts it's possible that anything shown may not be available in the final product.

[media=vimeo]83485220[/media]

[imggallery]driveclub-uiconcept_1.pngdriveclub-uiconcept_2.pngdriveclub-uiconcept_3.pngdriveclub-uiconcept_4.png[/imggallery]

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently they're called ''billboards'' or ''billboard trees''. They are a way of using just 2D planes with trees textured on them, instead of modeling a 3D tree. They rotate most likely due to being targeted at, what I guess, the player. Way of saving on requirements. Was done in lots and lots of games, but nowadays I really don't expect to see them that often except for perhaps small titles. Seems that video shows a mix of a 3d modeled tree base with 2D planes textured with a picture of lots of leafs.

Yep, if you're far away from the trees and/or whizzing past them at 250kph you're not likely to notice that optimisation, whereas making all the leaves 3D would be a massive FPS killer, so it's an easy decision to make. Because they're 2D, they always have to face a player (otherwise at side-on you'd only see a line), which is why they appear to rotate when in freecam/photomode (also possibly in replay mode).

You may find one day that there is a transitional phase employed later where only critical nearby trees are fully 3D and others are not. Or, devs may choose to improve other things and leave tree tech 'as is'.

If you've got access to the WMD forums there is a 3D Trees thread there where there are some technical posts made by SMS on the subject. I think Bathurst had (or has, I forget) 3D trees at one point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...