We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Are you a day 1 buyer or do you wait a time?

Eudemon

I was thinking about this while reading some musings come out of the 'EA Investor Conference' about games potentially costing $69.99 for the next-gen and it got me thinking two things. 1) Sony themselves have said games will cost between $0.99-$60 and 2) Is there any point in buying right away as most games these days are reduced within a month or so anyway?

In the UK anyway price reductions are quite good, within 3 weeks Far Cry 3 for example was selling for less than 30 pounds and supermarkets do BIG games at lower prices as they count on making up the loss via fuel and grocery sales. Pair this with the ever growing pre-order bonus palaver and day 1 and on-disc DLC and it just seems that buying on release day is more fool-hardy than anything else.

What do you guys do?

Usually I would wait, for two reasons. The prices can be ridiculous and I'd rather wait a few weeks/months/years (:p) and get it a lot cheaper. I only pre-order for something I'm really desperate to have right away. FH for example I wanted straight away as I enjoyed the demo.. and well there's no alternative. It's the first proper open world driving game post-TDU2.

Second reason is that I like to hear reviews, not just the game industry & magazine reviews but normal peoples on amazon and stuff. :nods:

Depends on the game.

Games don't depreciate in value in North America nearly as fast as in the UK, Battlefield 3 is still massively expensive and it came out ages ago. The only time I ever get a game on day one is if I've pre-ordered it, which makes sense.. if I haven't bothered to pre-order it, I typically wait until a price drop - which can take ages..

A lot of good racing games are previewed by the media before release so for the epic titles like Gran Tusimo, Forza Horizon, Ivory Tower's TDU game, Project CARS I'll pay full RRP on day one (if not preordered)

For other good games I'll hunt for the best price or buy on eBay from Hong Kong, Thailand or the UK for roughly half the RRP here (delivery is a little longer though)

For meh titles I'll wait until they cost next to nothing unless I'm properly bored and need something to do (although with pCARS updates every couple of days and a GT5 league and iGPManager league once a week I don't really have time for random gaming)

Guest MrLolololXD

Games don't depreciate in value in North America nearly as fast as in the UK, Battlefield 3 is still massively expensive and it came out ages ago.

Call of Duty 5 and 6 are both still $60 each here and a few months ago when I was looking at GT5 that was still $110 for a new copy