We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Hybrid Drives

T3hReaper91

So saw one of these and i am kinda tempted, Just want to see what other peoples opinions on these are.

I have a 64Gb SSD as a boot drive and will be keeping that but looking to have this to replace my secondary drive.

My secondary drive basically has games installed aswell as all my documents etc. Also it is where Fraps records gameplay footage for my video's

Would i notice a significant difference to my standard 1tb drive?

Amazon have some pretty good reviews but what do you think?

Ebuyer: Seagate 750GB Momentus XT 2.5 Hybrid SSD/HDD.. | Ebuyer.com

Amazon: Seagate 750GB Momentus XT Serial 2.5 inch 7200 RPM 32MB 6GB/S SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

I've got the exact same drive (albeit it's the 500GB model) in my laptop and I love it. It's much faster than the 640GB hard drive in my desktop. I don't game much on my laptop, but boot up time and searching for files is faster than a conventional hard drive. I'd buy that 750GB hard drive over a 1TB hard drive any day to use as my primary drive. I've been using this drive for close to a year now and it's given me no problems (then again, all Seagate drives are pretty reliable).

As a secondary drive I'm not sure it'll do a lot for you. It didn't mention the random access speed in MBPS as far as I could see. And the SSD portion of the drive only appears to be 8GB. If you only need ~750GB and it's not much dearer than the normal black series WD HDD then go for it.

They're good as primary drives as they cache the most accessed files on the SSD which is why programs and the OS start up so quickly.

With gaming, video editing, or anything with larger files etc you would just get the same speed as from a normal HDD as it'll be reading the files from the disk and not the faster flash memory.

IMO not worth it as a secondary drive.

I wouldn't think 64GB would be large enough for recording games and video editing (at least not for me). If you're dealing with smaller sizes then that negates the real need for SSD anyway. Don't forget you can't fill up a SSD otherwise it can't TRIM and everything slows down immensely.

I have Black series 2TB HDDs which have never been a bottleneck as it's always the GPU that reduces frame-rate so I wouldn't suggest there's a massive improvement to be made although I've never tried it (this is going by my specs, not yours). Also remember FRAPS isn't the idea recording solution since it's not flexible with it's frame rates when recording. You'd be better off with MSI Afterburner.

And recordings will be linear on the HDD unless it's badly fragmented. Also unless you're recording at silly resolutions or bitrates using an SSD over a HDD will offer no improvement at all.

A normal HDD is more than adequate for any sort of media content.