We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

DRIVECLUB - New info and interview about the racers Evolution [EDGE]

Eudemon

EDGE have posted a feature and some new images about the upcoming Evolution Studios racer DriveClub. You have to admit those black and red club cars look so good and the detail on the wheels and that carbon fibre is outstanding.

DRIVECLUB4.jpg

It’s a little unusual for a game to have been at the concept stage for so long – can you tell us what forms it has taken as it has existed and evolved over the years?

Matt Southern: I’ve been here nine years and it was probably one of the first concepts I was told about. Over the development of Drive Club over the past couple of years we’ve revisited some of those old materials to look at how it is the same and in other areas different. And certainly right from day one we wanted to use everything we’d learned about recreating real-world locations and that lovely feeling you get when something just looks breathtaking.

It’s our favourite element of shows like Top Gear, where they just do it so well, you’re reminded of an absolutely staggering vista and that in its simplicity can be such a wonderful thing to see, that’s always been a core part of the game. So has recreating real vehicles with real love. Try to communicate not just the technical side of a vehicle but the way these things are built with love and passion and just how amazing it feels to sit inside, that’s always been a part of the Drive Club experience. Looking at some of those, again, those very early pictures back when we were independent, some elements made their way into bits of Motorstorm, we had those two ideas [of Motorstorm and Drive Club] on the boil at the time.

Drive Club, the Evolution racer nine years in the making | Features | Edge Online

Ah so it's Drive Club and not DriveClub then? :think:NO, it's DRIVECLUB. (confirmed by games Design Director)

Well the start of a gen is always just an improvement over the last, compare the start of the current-gen and you'll see what I mean. Though in fairness Bizarre Creations with PGR3 really nailed it and is still one of the top looking racers.

Physics

Spock: "Evasive maneuvers, Mister Su ..Matt"

Matt Southern: Well, the way we’ve tried to look at that is to say… I basically issued a challenge to the team which was to say that time again you’ll see presentations or articles online that there’s this landscape for racing. And at one end of the landscape there’s simulation and at the other end is arcade. You can maybe add a vertical axis with singleplayer and multiplayer. I said we want to see that as a last-gen delineation. There are new spaces to occupy that transcend those old definitions and that move us away from all other racers, that try to create a new kind of experience that is accessible and fun and social, but is nevertheless breathtaking to look at and sophisticated and deep at the same time as it’s accessible. So we didn’t really look at those landscapes, any other titles, except in the sense of saying “let’s try and move beyond them all and be ambitious, try and carve out a new space for a new generation.”

I too am not overly impressed with the graphics. OK fancy car textures/shaders and quite detailed ...but mesh-resolution isn't too impressive, and the few road curves I've seen had standard ugly angles too.

I.E. I'm pretty sure they can't spell "tessellation" ..which PS4 sports.

Physics

Spock: "Evasive maneuvers, Mister Su ..Matt"

Matt Southern: Well, the way we’ve tried to look at that is to say… I basically issued a challenge to the team which was to say that time again you’ll see presentations or articles online that there’s this landscape for racing. And at one end of the landscape there’s simulation and at the other end is arcade. You can maybe add a vertical axis with singleplayer and multiplayer. I said we want to see that as a last-gen delineation. There are new spaces to occupy that transcend those old definitions and that move us away from all other racers, that try to create a new kind of experience that is accessible and fun and social, but is nevertheless breathtaking to look at and sophisticated and deep at the same time as it’s accessible. So we didn’t really look at those landscapes, any other titles, except in the sense of saying “let’s try and move beyond them all and be ambitious, try and carve out a new space for a new generation.”

I too am not overly impressed with the graphics. OK fancy car textures/shaders and quite detailed ...but mesh-resolution isn't too impressive, and the few road curves I've seen had standard ugly angles too.

I.E. I'm pretty sure they can't spell "tessellation" ..which PS4 sports.

well after this I'm more likely to buy ps3 again

I think DRIVECLUB will be the PGR for PlayStation which is a good thing, as it means it can go a bit out there but still have handling that reacts somewhat like a real-world car, but with a bit of arcade humour and forgiveness. :)