We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Forza or Gran-Turismo

HuuuuuuH

The PS3 console and games are always more expensive than the Xbox equivalents though
Maybe in Australia they are, here they're the same price and regular discounts can be had.

Overall I prefer Forza, it just feels like a more compete game to me.
I agree, it is the better game but for driving feel I enjoy GT5 more with a wheel.

Why do we all get so annoyed when we have to pay for a service? Someone somewhere has worked or is working to provide it... surely its only fair that they are compensated for that.
Nothing wrong with paying for a service that is worth its cost but read up on what Xbox Live actually is and you'll see why many people don't think it is worth paying for, especially considering PC was doing the same thing way before Xbox Live came out and that PSPlus actually gives back to those who buy it. The whole placing everything behind a paywall is stupid too, you pay for your ISP to get internet and then to use a subscription service like your Sky or Netflix that you are also paying for you need to buy Live Gold to do so? How about Facebook and twitter, free everywhere else but want to use it on your Xbox then you need to pay. Or how about all the ads on the dashboard too! :fp:

Microsoft has done a very clever thing in making people think they need to pay for these things but thankfully people are having moments of clarity and thinking ""wait a minute, why am I paying for this...". The main response to 'Live vs PSN' was always Cross-game chat but it's obvious that with PS4 this is going to be a non-issue, plus in fact the Vita already supports it. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forza uses a stunning engine to create some proper high paced racing but if you want authenticity I'de go for GT.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with Gran Torismo anymore but I appreciate how well it creates a professional driving experience.

Don't be a trator & buy Horizon though! TDU fo' life homie! Keep the MMOR out of Forza.

Forza Horizon is a good game though, it's just lacking in environment size and the little details that make TDU that bit more enjoyable, such as being able truly free-roam with random others, to look around your car from the cockpit view, a rear-view being an actual rear-view and of course - unbelievably - owning homes to store your cars in. Since PGR and TDU did this it just seems weird now to have all encompassing garage these days in games like this.

Nothing wrong with paying for a service that is worth its cost but read up on what Xbox Live actually is and you'll see why many people don't think it is worth paying for, especially considering PC was doing the same thing way before Xbox Live came out and that PSPlus actually gives back to those who buy it. The whole placing everything behind a paywall is stupid too, you pay for your ISP to get internet and then to use a subscription service like your Sky or Netflix that you are also paying for you need to buy Live Gold to do so? How about Facebook and twitter, free everywhere else but want to use it on your Xbox then you need to pay. Or how about all the ads on the dashboard too! :fp:

Microsoft has done a very clever thing in making people think they need to pay for these things but thankfully people are having moments of clarity and thinking ""wait a minute, why am I paying for this...". The main response to 'Live vs PSN' was always Cross-game chat but it's obvious that with PS4 this is going to be a non-issue, plus in fact the Vita already supports it. :)

What choice is there though?... I'm still happy to pay for peace of mind though :p

M$ know full well that a microscopic proportion of us will ever be bothered to research and then understand the service. Can't see it changing for next gen either.

:)

It's not "microscopic" though and next-gen things could drastically change, though they'll probably scrape a few million due to the whole auto-renew option on by default even if you turn it off, when you renew again it goes back on. :susp:

FORZA!

Definitely!

In Forza, A LOT of upgrades affect the sound of the car in the end. (most noticable change would be the cams as they completely change the way the car sounds and partially behaves.

I have to disagree with Diablo on having a better feel with the Wheel (hue, rhymes D:) on GT than on Forza.

I had the PS3 and GT5 for a while, I was using an equalizer and amplifier to get better sounds, but they were still bad. I had to get used to driving with the bonnet cam because I either go all cockpit or all bonnet as it changes how I drive (personally).

In GT5, when going in a straight line, you could launch in fourth gear with a Corvette ZR1 and nail the accelerator to the ground and the Corvette would simply not spin out, but the wheels would spin and spin and spin. Get in first gear with a Forza Corvette, nail the pedal, power shift into second and keep the accelerator pushed and you'll instantly spin down.

A huge turn down on me.

Another, even bigger turn down was the X1. Seriously? "The best driving simulator"

Yeah, with a 400 kilograms, 1500 HP hyper F1 car? No, thanks.

In GT5, the only mistake I could do is brake too late or spin out in a corner. In Forza 4, a high powered car is way harder to control and I have to grasp on my wheel and drift around, eventually resulting in me, spinning out (I like to go through corners with an ape-lalalala-speed to test the car's limits).

Overall, Forza just seems more realistic to me.

Better sounds (fact), better customization (fact), better physics (opinion)

GT5 wins in terms of track accuracy and looking better to the eye, because Forza just looks like we would want to graphically see whereas GT5 looks close to real life (IMO)

Did I mention that GT5's carbase is around 80% Japanese cars and of those, around 30% Nissan? :P (along the lines of)

Also, sitting on a game for THAT long and presenting us 200 premium cars and the rest as standard cars with PS2 models is really, really wrong.

-------

By the way, does anybody know if GT6 comes out for the PS4? Seen the concept trailer and I could swear it said November 2013 (PS4 release - ??)

I completelly agree with Ryzza5. And, not starting a flamewar, even because i am barely looking this forums, i will add my 2 cents in this thread. (As a GT5 fangirl point of view, and above all, a car enthusiast)

Like have been said many times, both games are equally good, but each of them in different aspects.

Forza Motorsports has more cool car. (Relatively, if you are a japanese car fanatic)

GT5 has about 250 premium vehicles (Really HD) and 800 standard. (Low poly with an awful interior)

FM4 has about 600 (Guys, correct me on this), cars with interior view and all.

My opinion: FM4 has 600 cars, but me as a perfeccionist, i think the 250 ones in GT5 have better quality, as they light up in the night, including the window button!

GT5 has a few tracks with night-day cycle (Nurburgring!) and a few other with weather change. (Spa!)

Both have real and fictional tracks.

FM4 sounds are indeed better, but from everywhere that you play the game, be it hood, chase or interior, the car sound will be like you have your ear attached to the exhaust. GT5 sounds are ok, could be better, but it is not that bad.

I have no idea how it is the racing on FM4, but GT5 is not boring if you enjoy racing. Everyday you can find online rooms where people is racing clean around many tracks. Carrer mode can get boring, as everygame can, but GT5 online is really good and entertaining. (Tip: Look for japanese lobbies!)

Racing feel i can't say much, because i played FM4 twice, with a controller. But i prefer GT5, if that matters anything. lol

FM4 has a lot better customization indeed.

Obviously, these points are filled with my point of view, but, to sum it up:

If you want a better game, with more features, such as sound and cool graphics, get FM4. If your thing is not the graphics, but the realism (:lol:), the fair close racing, i recommend you to get GT5. Or wait untill the end of the year to see how GT6 turns out.

PS: PSN is free, so is to play GT5 online. The service is not poo and they are compromised with quality, as me, in Brazil, can connect with people in Japan without a problem.

Edit: This guy of the post above is not updated. GT5 has been recieving a lot of physics updates, and now yes, the car does spin if you just burn out in a straight line. You have even to keep the car balance in middle of the corners, otherwise you will miss the apex. Weight balance have been improved and drive extremelly powerful cars are now difficult. It doesn't even have to be powerful, i challange him to do a full lap around Nurburgring with a tuned Caterham (230hp) using sport tires. :lol:

About the X2010. That car is a prize and it is not allowed in many carrer mode races. Only the player can use it, and in Online lobbies, they are not allowed. People tend to restrict the rooms, making the X2010 impossible to use, or they kick players who insists to use these cars. Not to mention, the X2010 is possible, but it would be useless, because it will not fit into any racing regulation.

I also saw on GT5 a nissan academy? What is that?

I think that i will choose FM4..and i will still play TDU2 on PC..because it's a good game...

I have FM3 and FM3 TopGear on my xbox...i played it alot...i spent more time in the Silver Stone's track.

And it's really sad on FM bc i cant use my steering wheel.

EDIT: After Milli's post: Ehmmwwwww :| still undecided

GT Academy was a competition created by Gran Turismo to bring virtual racers to real racers. First stage was a mini game, downloaded for free on PSN, with few time trial challanges. You got gold prize, you win a special GT Academy Nissan vehicle.

Why Nissan? Because they sponsor GT Academy.

Once all the time trials were made, they called the best ones for the finals and they did time trials with a real 370Z and a few other cars. Including the GT-R.

Probably next year GT Academy will be open again. (Not sure)

I completelly agree with Ryzza5. And, not starting a flamewar, even because i am barely looking this forums, i will add my 2 cents in this thread. (As a GT5 fangirl point of view, and above all, a car enthusiast)

Like have been said many times, both games are equally good, but each of them in different aspects.

Forza Motorsports has more cool car. (Relatively, if you are a japanese car fanatic)

GT5 has about 250 premium vehicles (Really HD) and 800 standard. (Low poly with an awful interior)

FM4 has about 600 (Guys, correct me on this), cars with interior view and all.

My opinion: FM4 has 600 cars, but me as a perfeccionist, i think the 250 ones in GT5 have better quality, as they light up in the night, including the window button!

GT5 has a few tracks with night-day cycle (Nurburgring!) and a few other with weather change. (Spa!)

Both have real and fictional tracks.

FM4 sounds are indeed better, but from everywhere that you play the game, be it hood, chase or interior, the car sound will be like you have your ear attached to the exhaust. GT5 sounds are ok, could be better, but it is not that bad.

I have no idea how it is the racing on FM4, but GT5 is not boring if you enjoy racing. Everyday you can find online rooms where people is racing clean around many tracks. Carrer mode can get boring, as everygame can, but GT5 online is really good and entertaining. (Tip: Look for japanese lobbies!)

Racing feel i can't say much, because i played FM4 twice, with a controller. But i prefer GT5, if that matters anything. lol

FM4 has a lot better customization indeed.

Obviously, these points are filled with my point of view, but, to sum it up:

If you want a better game, with more features, such as sound and cool graphics, get FM4. If your thing is not the graphics, but the realism (:lol:), the fair close racing, i recommend you to get GT5. Or wait untill the end of the year to see how GT6 turns out.

PS: PSN is free, so is to play GT5 online. The service is not poo and they are compromised with quality, as me, in Brazil, can connect with people in Japan without a problem.

Edit: This guy of the post above is not updated. GT5 has been recieving a lot of physics updates, and now yes, the car does spin if you just burn out in a straight line. You have even to keep the car balance in middle of the corners, otherwise you will miss the apex. Weight balance have been improved and drive extremelly powerful cars are now difficult. It doesn't even have to be powerful, i challange him to do a full lap around Nurburgring with a tuned Caterham (230hp) using sport tires. :lol:

About the X2010. That car is a prize and it is not allowed in many carrer mode races. Only the player can use it, and in Online lobbies, they are not allowed. People tend to restrict the rooms, making the X2010 impossible to use, or they kick players who insists to use these cars. Not to mention, the X2010 is possible, but it would be useless, because it will not fit into any racing regulation.

The thing about Forza 4 sounds:

The cockpit sound is muffled, a lot

Unless you have a good sound system, you might not notice those changes.

A little explanation on this:

Stock on stock, the car's engine sounds differ from view to view (noticably)

Now if you put a stage 3 exhaust, stage 3 air filter and the stage 3 weight reduction, the cockpit sound will get a lot louder than it was before.

Now on racecars such as the GT3 and upper class vehicles there's little to no difference from cockpit to bonnet view in terms of sound.

Things that affect the engine sounds in Forza 4:

- Air Filter

- Exhaust

- Camshafts

- Weight reduction

I don't know of anything else though.

Didn't know that GT5 received a physics update, but to be honest? That should've been included from the start on. It's like Polyphony only focused on graphics and then physics and sounds on the last priority. Heck, even TDU's vanilla sounds are better than GT5's.

I did around 10 laps on the Nordschleife with a fully upgraded GSX-R concept car, wasn't that hard for me with my Fanatec GT2, I started racing with wheels when NFS Shift (first one) came out and I've mainly been driving on the Nordschleife ever since then :P

Umm yeah, I think that was all I wanted to say.

Note that I do respect your point of view and that I am not trying to start a flame war either :)

Edit: Can't wait for the new Xbox and Forza 5!

If GT6 does everything right, I'll get myself a PS4 next to the Xbox (It's coming out for the PS4, right? PS3 would be kind of... stupid)

Another edit:

If you're all about enjoying racing and physics, the both GT5 and Forza 4 aren't the right thing for you, be a man/woman and go for the SimBin games or rFactor (2?) or iRacing (2?) (I don't have any experience on both, but boy, I do have a lot of experience in GTR, GTR Evolution and the new Racing Experience game :D)

Very good discussion from all sides, the above and the 4th dimension people too in here. If only comparisons were like this all over the internet we wouldn't have any need to roll our eyes. Valid points all round everyone! :cool:

Forza has the better sounds, customisation and it's embracing of it's community in particular is definitely something all developers should emulate. GT is very Japanese and in a way it's good for this but at the same time it's also as expected a disadvantage, as then you get stupid decisions like all the 'Standard Models'. Surely the time to get all those cars into GT5 would have better spent creating another 50-100 Premium models. Then you have the 50+ versions of Skyline, but just think, what Western game would include a Daihatsu Midget, a Suzuki Cappucino or a Daimler 1886 (?) Motorcarriage into it's roster? It's this charm and eccentricity of GT that makes it a joy but also a real headache at times, you want to love it but it keeps giving you reasons to only like it.

A good example is damage, now I have played GT since the first one on PS1 in 1998 and with every version that was coming the same "we want to do damage right" spiel was said, when PS2 was coming it was supposed to "have the power to allow [PD] to do damage" however - and this is funny - there was always that BUT as when they mentioned damage they would typically say the power isn't quite available to do it right. Well PS3 should have been it and what did we end up with? Some kind of moulded plastic smudge-a-thon and some opening doors on Rally cars. :oook:

Without GT we wouldn't have Forza, but more importantly without Forza we wouldn't have GT constantly trying to improve itself as it was starting to rest on it's laurels let's be fair. And what it really needs now is to look at the aspects people are extremely disappointed in and one of the main criticisms is the sounds. Hearing the roar of that V8 muscle car or the banshee wail of a V12 is part of the total immersion of these games, and if you see on your screen a Ferrari badge and then you hear from your speakers a Dyson vacuum-cleaner sound then your face and heart is going to sink as it breaks the whole illusion that the game is trying to paint on the picture ahead of you. And despite the huge GT name, people will tire of it and walk away to something that does provide what they want.

I've skipped over this page of posts but I'll add as far as playing any racing game with a controller - you can't get much better than FM3/4 as far as feel goes.

Also worth noting that you mentioned you want to do a lot of Nordschleife laps - iirc the Forza version of the ring is quite inaccurate.

All the extra TopGear (Clarkson) bits on FM4 are nice though.

Nuts, you had to bring out the BIG guns didn't you! :(

lol, I'm saving my big one when this topic really heats up.

"4th Dimension" peed right through my nappy when I read that. :lol:

Regarding the -ve rep that people have been dishing out in here:

If you disagree with someone's opinion, have the courage and decency to reply with yours... otherwise your negative rep should be left for the trolls/spammers and flamers. ;)

I've skipped over this page of posts but I'll add as far as playing any racing game with a controller - you can't get much better than FM3/4 as far as feel goes.

Also worth noting that you mentioned you want to do a lot of Nordschleife laps - iirc the Forza version of the ring is quite inaccurate.

All the extra TopGear (Clarkson) bits on FM4 are nice though.

If you're talking to me, I know the FM4 Nordschleife is inaccurate, I still play it. I also used to only play on the Nordschleife in GT5, after I got ALL the premium cars and around 300 standard cars (this is also a point for F4, you can get 900k credits in a GT5 race w/ 200% and this was a year ago.)

I also raced the GTR 2 Nordschleife and a couple of other games..

Dschörmen pauer all ze way!

I beg to differ. Alot. I play all my games with a controller and out of GT5 & Forza 4, GT is miles better.

Thats what I say personally.