We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

XBOX ONE - #XboxReveal 21st May 2013 - Discussion Thread

Eudemon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some clarifications going around about the whole pre-owned thing, I've been reading in some places that a game is locked to your Live account thus it needs Internet to do this but it is not always online. And you can maybe remove the lock when you goto take it to your friends or what have you. How that works for renting and pre-owned (how do you guarantee it's been done?) is up in the air!

Where's the youtube video for this? Link to looping replay like the PS4 had? My banana-flavoured hot chocolate? :toetap:

I'll probably get one eventually (like I did the 360) but it will never be a primary gaming machine for me.

Also the ONE? Seriously? So now we've got the Xbox 1, the Xbox 360, and the Xbox ONE. Way to copy one of Apple's more dumb ideas.

The whole advantage over console gaming vs PC gaming was always about the quick disc in and play, and the better family sharing (local multiplayer) experience. These days now they're copying Steam on their console. Except I can install games on my PC far quicker than the last few console games I played. I can replace/add new storage in my PC at my leisure, whereas MS typically charges extra for a HDD that they support. Stuff that I buy and use on my account is of no benefit to the rest of my family without them knowing the PIN for my account (since credit card/Paypal info is saved in there).

(Not having seen the event yet) I wouldn't all jump on the 2nd hand sale fee yet unless it's explicitly confirmed. They could do this the same way as Office 365 installations. If you need to install Office on another PC (besides the 2 or 5 licenses you already have), you can just deactivate one copy from the central website (not uninstalling the software - it becomes like Windows when not activated) which frees up a license to install on the 6th PC. When you're done, deactivate that PC and reactivate your old one. Bit of a fuss but I'm sure you'll agree it's better than the alternative (and most people who don't deal with 2nd hand games or friends houses will appreciate the disc-less option. (That said it would be better to have it as an option to suit your lifestyle - what happens if you end up with 4 consoles at home though???)

office365installsused-620x296.png?hash=ZQN2LwtlZm&upscale=1

I seriously hope before people go all Fry (take my money) they stop and think and make an educated decision.

The whole advantage over console gaming vs PC gaming was always about the quick disc in and play, and the better family sharing (local multiplayer) experience.

I think it has always been about exclusive titles, nothing more.

I've never seen anyone use xbox or ps3 other than gaming reasons (except blu-ray)

I mean they took time to explain how you can watch tv on xbox... on your tv :hmmm:

Having now seen it - I'll probably get one. It's just like when we were deciding between the 360 and PS3 all over again. Sony throws a lot of hardware at the problem and sounds like the better choice, whereas MS tends to have better software, and with it a better experience, more innovation, etc.

My biggest question though is how much of that entertainment stuff is going to be available outside the US? My Video Apps page on the 360 only shows about 4 options, the only one I've installed being YouTube (although I can stream YT videos to the X360 without that app via an app on my Android phone using DLNA).

I also know from my Media Centre PC that currently it can't download my TV guide over the Internet, but instead gets it from OTA (over the air coax reception). Since the XB ONE is using HDMI pass-thru and not a coax feed someone would have to make that data available. Also I've never had much luck getting my SmartGlass app connected to my console.

MS announces 15 exclusives in the first year - and no-one in the audience boo'd? :eek:

So at this point in time, I'm (once again the opposite) leaning towards the new Xbox over the PS4 (MS could easily add game-streaming features in a future update when more of us have the needed infrastructure - they already have the DirectCompute server framework). Not for gaming though, more for the media features. They mentioned an inbuilt game DVR but no TV DVR yet... interesting. The PS4 can wait for Gran Turismo 7 at this stage.

1) The name... someone at Microsoft really can't do numerical order.

2) Having me pay to play pre-owned games? No thanks.

Just my opinion. :)

The big question i've been thinking about for years(ever since I found out 2 of MS's rivals are behind Blue Ray...Sony & Apple), what does it use for disk's?

My main gripe about the Xbox One...

All the extra crap that isn't really needed. Who needs TV on their Xbox when you already have a device for playing TV Channels (Built into the TV more or less)? I don't.

Why is a Kinect needed to navigate the dash when a controller works perfectly fine?

Why does it have an internet browser when everyone has a computer to browse the internet?

I hope all this and much more of the stuff that's not needed can be turned off.

Honestly, PS4 is looking slightly better at this point, even though they are still trying to stuff "Social Functions" in your face.

My main gripe about the Xbox One...

All the extra crap that isn't really needed. Who needs TV on their Xbox when you already have a device for playing TV Channels (Built into the TV more or less)? I don't.

I'm sorry but do you pay a bajillion pound for Sky or even Virgin? It may work out cheaper through xbox. You'll have switchable screens so you can play & watch the Champions League scores at the same time. Just think about it for a second. No more DVD player, no more Blu-ray, no more sky box, webcam for skype talk, constant up & down to change channels/switch remotes.. Your only convincing yourself that these are features you don't need. Buy an iPad & argue how much you don't need that. Your still going to use it!

My Opinion on Game Codes: I beleive by law they can offer you a copy of the game as a distibutor/supplier as that is now YOUR 'copy' to own. As soon as it is passed on to the next user they need to buy there right of owning said copy just like you would for any pre-owned game. The difference is that instead of game stores gaining profit through trade-in's the money goes straight to the distributor/supplier. I'm thinking more like STEAM here.

Its M$ it won't work out cheaper... and to make it legal in the UK they'd have to allow SKY et al bid for the rights or a last let them each have an option on there to select them as the TV provider.

Can't see XBox creating all that infrastructure to allow them to broadcast TV... and then if they do how long till it available outside US and Europe?

I just want to play games dammit