We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Kinect for Windows

iLLGT3

At first thought, you may feel like this is a bad thing. A waste of time. Imagine what we'll be able to do once the Kinect is unlocked and is allowed to be modded for other uses than it was intended.. No need for TrackIR? Maybe..

By now, most of you likely have heard about the new Kinect sensor that Microsoft will deliver as part of Xbox One later this year.

Today, I am pleased to announce that Microsoft will also deliver a new generation Kinect for Windows sensor next year. We’re continuing our commitment to equipping businesses and organizations with the latest natural technology from Microsoft so that they, in turn, can develop and deploy innovative touch-free applications for their businesses and customers. A new Kinect for Windows sensor and software development kit (SDK) are core to that commitment.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2013/05/23/the-new-generation-kinect-for-windows-sensor-is-coming-next-year.aspx

So then why hasn't anyone turned the current Kinect for Windows (X360 type) into a TrackIR sensor like Forza's head tracking, which I've heard isn't that great, plus on Windows you can already run FaceNoTrack with any old webcam already, and a proper TrackIR probably costs no more than a Kinect and would work better.

Lots of boffins already did find lots of good uses for the current Kinect for Windows though, most of them were not consumer orientated (due somewhat to MS licensing - free to use the SDK for your projects but then if you try to sell it to the public it gets a bit messier.

Maybe off-topic, but curious fact.

Recently i got a job and i am learning a lot of new things, also, where i work at is very new, so, there are new machines, and recently we got a scanner 3D. So, yesterday and today we were having a training, to learn how to use it and i got to know that you can use Kinect as a scanner 3D, and better yet, it is the best tool to scan people.

:lol:

iirc there was some good use for the connect in connection to red light cameras (read this at least a year ago) - it would detect using it's 3D sensing if a car was likely to run the red light and then delay the other lights turning green until it was safe. Not sure what happened to that.

• 4 weeks later...