We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Crew {DT} - Ivory Tower & Ubisoft Reflections do a Racer where you go Cruisin' USA!

Eudemon

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've already done steps 1 to 4 with mods on the PC ;)

I would ignore most of those concept images - remember TDU2 had the same style concept images which also had that South American flavour and yet TDU2 visually and geographically was nothing like them.

TDUCk TDU2 Picture Thread (Last update: 17 December 2010) - Page 2 | turboduck forum

Better idea. Listen up, Ubi.

1. Get TDU

2. Control+C

3. Control+V

4. Add current-gen graphics and some new cars

5. Put it on Steam and other distribution services

6. Actually support it

7. ???

8. Profit

except it won't andreaz. wait what?

But back to the point,

there isn't a market big enough to support this kind of game. Unless it is like every other console racer.

Think of yourself as a developer or a publisher, would you seriously invest on this idea expecting a return?

I know I wouldn't. The brand itself has no image left, the series don't mean anything to anyone other than us real tdu fans, the game was nowhere near popular to begin with.

It costs millions to develop a game these days and even some of them are rubbish *cough* tdu2

I can only think of one way and that is if an already established title (nfs,gt,forza etc.) moves towards tdu3 idea.

Even then they'll probably loose millions.

Today a number of people are in a kind of zombie-like gaming state in that they will only stick to one thing and that one thing only. Your typical CoD player will want every FPS to control like CoD despite it being so dumb and floaty with no weight or feeling of your character having body mass. Then we look at the diehard Forza and GT fans who are so adamant their game is so simulation like that any mention of negativity towards it results in a complete backlash, hell those two are even more realistic than real-life to some people! And let's not forget the worst thing of these people, the submissive tendency to lick the arse of the devs and praise every single bit of overpriced, cut from the game DLC.

You're right, games cost a lot to make these days but I would like to use Project CARS as an argument for it not needing to be crazy money, even with 1-2 million of marketing that's not hitting too bad a budget for a multiplatform high-quality release that it's looking to be.

Unfortunately though we seem to be a state where there's only a few major players and disappointingly the masses swarm to them because of their braindead controls and complete lack of needing any real cognitive function, but as some have shown, you can still be a success without pandering to the idiots! :)

Today a number of people are in a kind of zombie-like gaming state in that they will only stick to one thing and that one thing only. Your typical CoD player will want every FPS to control like CoD despite it being so dumb and floaty with no weight or feeling of your character having body mass. Then we look at the diehard Forza and GT fans who are so adamant their game is so simulation like that any mention of negativity towards it results in a complete backlash, hell those two are even more realistic than real-life to some people! And let's not forget the worst thing of these people, the submissive tendency to lick the arse of the devs and praise every single bit of overpriced, cut from the game DLC.

You're right, games cost a lot to make these days but I would like to use Project CARS as an argument for it not needing to be crazy money, even with 1-2 million of marketing that's not hitting too bad a budget for a multiplatform high-quality release that it's looking to be.

Unfortunately though we seem to be a state where there's only a few major players and disappointingly the masses swarm to them because of their braindead controls and complete lack of needing any real cognitive function, but as some have shown, you can still be a success without pandering to the idiots! :)

I agree,

on development though, would you say though pcars will be commercially successful? Because a traditionally developed game should be to pay the bills. It is different with pcars, we payed for the development so it wouldn't matter from my point of view if the final product didn't sell well (I suspect it won't).

I also thoroughly agree with your fanboyism point.

I choose the other side to annoy those people :lol:

I think it will be, look at the numbers of Forza and GT and you have an idea of the potential for sales in that bracket for consoles, I know it won't hit those numbers but the game is looking good and if the reviewers say things like "pCARS is a great game for the GT/Forza enthusiast", "pCARS fits alongside GT/Forza" etc then you will have a decently perceived and received game. PC players will no doubt sell it to each other via videos, word of mouth and youtube shows like ISR and such.

Then again maybe I'm just naive and want the game to do well so that the future may bring about more of them. :hmmm:

I think it will be, look at the numbers of Forza and GT and you have an idea of the potential for sales in that bracket for consoles, I know it won't hit those numbers but the game is looking good and if the reviewers say things like "pCARS is a great game for the GT/Forza enthusiast", "pCARS fits alongside GT/Forza" etc then you will have a decently perceived and received game. PC players will no doubt sell it to each other via videos, word of mouth and youtube shows like ISR and such.

Then again maybe I'm just naive and want the game to do well so that the future may bring about more of them. :hmmm:

well it depends, those titles became what they are partly because of their car lists and extensive/exclusive licensing.

I don't ever see pcars getting up to that level. This is kind of the problem with the community developed game. Everyone wanted pretty graphics and ultra realistic physics (suspension animation etc), there's no money left around to get licensed cars into the game and applying those aspects.

I really do hope the game does well, don't get me wrong I'm fine-ish with the lack of licenses, I'm just worried the ''casual gamer'' won't buy the game because nfs has a much better car list.

That brings me back to TDU, how the hell they've managed to license all those cars? I guess they used to be pretty rich once upon a time :hmmm:

It's not always about the money. Some will refuse or impose too many restriction regardless of money, whereas others will be extremely reasonable. i.e. Mercedes Benz approached SMS wanting to be in the pCARS. As it stands we already have more cars licensed than we have the staff/time to model them before the game is released which is why some will be DLC.

An Ivory Tower employee just made a 'no comment' comment. :hmmm:

Hervé Gengler ‏@HerveGengler 7m

@tduckteam "We do not comment on rumour and speculation." :)

[media=twitter]340115342925910017[/media]

Also please tag tweets in regards to these guys with #IvoryTowerStudio as #IvoryTower is used too much and it's difficult to single out those that relate to them specifically. :nods:

Any French readers able to read and translate this?

The Crew, le jeu de course Ubisoft : nos infos - Gameblog.fr

Google Translate of some parts

* Contrary to some rumors of a similar to a Gran Turismo or Forza positioning, driving would rather semi-arcade: accessible, fun and effective.

* The game is in the United States, Open World, and it would be possible to go from one city to another, for example from New York to Los Angeles. The distance scale is however reduced.

* The solo experience seems closely intertwined in multiplayer, since it will be possible to join other players at any time for specific tasks or challenges.

* The multiplayer would focus as much on the competition that the cooperation between the players, and it would be possible to be up to 8 on the same test

Far from Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport , The Crew seems to be trying to offer a more like a car game Test Drive Unlimited and a Driver San Francisco , where freedom and driving pleasure precedence over realism or simulation.

Just saw this too: Recent tweet on the @GamesLabUbi account looking for playtesters of sim/arcade variety.

GamesLab Ubisoft ‏@GamesLabUbi 27 May

Cherchons joueurs jeux voiture simu et/ou arcade pour playtest à Montreuil du 29 au 31 Mai de 10h à 17h. Infos http://on.fb.me/PYaInj

[media=twitter]338966622184284160[/media]

I know many people enjoyed the driving in DSF and I did too, the only thing I wasn't so hot about was the cars felt light so a bit more weight on them would be very welcome imo. I kind of hope if this game is happening that we get some of those coaches and lorries/trucks to drive in it.

Do you think the next-gen versions will also be limited to 8 players?

To sum up the article:

-The Crew will offer a game experience close to Driver San Fransico.

-The gameplay is rather semi-arcade, accessible, fun and efficient.

-The game is located in a USA openworld, with the possibility to travel between NYC to LA (with a reduced scale). (yup Green Room's suppositions were right :p)

-Like Driver:SF, the map will be a "Google Map" like.

-In "freeride"; player will be free to choose between missions, or challenges.

-The Multiplayer will be competitive and cooperative with a player limit set to 8 players.

-A companion app (for iOs and Android) will be published

-The version our source was able to play was running on X360.

-Game should be released end 2013

Also this is a shame, as it must be a tester of the playtest who gave the infos and, as far as I know, any public playtest is under NDA. :cheeky:

I know many people enjoyed the driving in DSF and I did too, the only thing I wasn't so hot about was the cars felt light so a bit more weight on them would be very welcome imo. I kind of hope if this game is happening that we get some of those coaches and lorries/trucks to drive in it.

Do you think the next-gen versions will also be limited to 8 players?

Odd, because I think some cars felt heavy and slow (e.g. XFR), but larger cars like pick-ups were too tail-happy on the other side. :lol: But I have to say D:SF was an amazing game, my second game I've ever managed to complete since 2007 I think.

I still have not read any good info on the new consoles, so I am a bit out of game but I hope we will be able to play with more than 8 players...

Hope there won't be the D:SF teleporting thing. It was... unique... but I don't want to see it again. :hmmm:

And I also hope there will be more than 8 players. Some games like BF3 (PC) and Arma, etc. allow upwards of 64 players. That would be crazy in a driving game, but 8 seems too little imo.

This sound very interesting, When did the development for this game start?:confused: I'm not dissapointed about not having realistic physics as long as there is cockpit and free roam. Hot Pursuit 2010 was a perfect game in my opinion and I hope The Crew will be similar. I just hope there isn't any stupid storyline.

Forgot to mention that I want the DSF graphics to be improved a little, I didn't really liked its colours.