We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Crew {DT} - Ivory Tower & Ubisoft Reflections do a Racer where you go Cruisin' USA!

Eudemon

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another bit:

Inspiration often comes from the unlikeliest places. In the case of Julian Gerighty, Creative Director for the next-gen action-driving game The Crew, it came from being a father.

That’s right, fatherhood. Now, before any confusion arises, let’s put this in reverse for a second. Yes, The Crew is about cars, cars…and, well, cars. “The Crew is developed by people who are passionate about cars,” Gerighty smiles. But traditionally, many car-based games place the primary focus on one thing: racing. “We are passionate about driving,” Gerighty says. “Not just racing, but driving.”

Gerighty goes on to explain that while racing is an essential aspect of The Crew, the game offers much more than just putting that proverbial pedal to the virtual metal. “Racing is super important to the game,” he says. “We’ve got hundreds of races. We’ve got competitive races, cooperative team races, and stuff like that. That’s all part of the experience. But what makes it more than just a racing game is that you have this entire country to explore and have different experiences and driving adventures.” Think of Smuggler’s Run (from Rockstar Games) – a PS2 classic that Gerighty fondly recalls as one of his favorite driving games. “It’s not a racing game,” he says. “And that’s one of our experiences.”

But what helped bring about this focus on driving? “I had a kid, which forces me to play at 6:00 in the morning – and at 6:00 in the morning I don’t want a twitch experience. I want something a little more relaxed,” Gerighty says. “Not every day can be a Battlefield 3 day. So the Smuggler’s Run experience is in there too. Because this is an entire country, because we have all these different terrains from snow-capped mountains to desert dunes, it allows us to have all these adventures in driving. The customization really helps us do that too. On one disc we have all these adventures in driving.”

So while the racing is there – and it’s there both in bite-sized chunks and full-scale missions, both solo and multiplayer – The Crew also lets you simply be a tourist in a fully populated online world. “We have a thousand U.S. landmarks in the game,” Gerighty says. “So you can imagine checking those off – and you can check those off and you get rewards for doing it. I know people are going to enjoy doing that. Sometimes that’s the experience I want to have. I don’t need to have a full-on race, race, race and be first or you fail the game.”

How Fatherhood Influenced The Crew - UbiBlog | Ubisoft®

That sounds promising indeed, I like that they are sort of aiming at TDU2 with this little excerpt even though they probably aren't even intending to, but to me I feel it is like that due to the complete failure to make the driving anything close to enjoyable in that game.

There's some contradiction in places though as clearly they are aiming for "action racing" and then you have the "aids" for control pad users, yet we have Sebastien Tixier saying to one of the Kunos devs (Assetto Corsa) that the game will handle better than TDU.

Guest MrLolololXD

45 minutes from coast to coast in the fastest car on the most direct route, that doesn't really give me a great idea of the scale... How about the time it takes to drive around the perimeter of the map in a car people have a rough idea of how fast it actually is, like a GTR, M3 or 458? :fp:

45 minutes from coast to coast in the fastest car on the most direct route, that doesn't really give me a great idea of the scale... How about the time it takes to drive around the perimeter of the map in a car people have a rough idea of how fast it actually is, like a GTR, M3 or 458? :fp:

yeah, I wouldn't imagine it's much bigger than oahu map.

It'll just have more features.

It was pretty obvious from the gameplay videos that the handling will be very arcade-ish and the cars will feel light. Shame.
Again this is the contradiction I talk about in that how it shows on videos and such and to what the man behind the physics says, you can say people are awful at the game but the way the car handles will show whether you drive properly or throw the car into every wall and traffic car their is.

I think it took about 20-25 minutes driving straight through Oahu in a pretty fast car. I'm hoping that means we get twice the size here. In any case, I don't know why physics have to be toned down in every open world/road game. Surely there are a good number of people out there that want realistic physics.

In the fastest cars in TDU1 you could do the millionaires challenge, etc in around 45 minutes. This is the estimated time to travel point to point across the map, so to do a circuit in the best cars you're looking at at least double that time, then maybe add another 50% for more traditional cars plus the fact the roads will be not be Interstate motorways. In the videos where you see them zooming in and out of the map it looks deceptively small but in theory it should still be pretty massive.

And of course we've all already heard that there are differences in handling when you switch to wheel mode and the dev on twitter is pretty excited about the physics, so it's still a wait and see. You can be sure the devs paid attention to the original TDU1 forum activity (and probably spied on us in the TDU2 forums). They know what to do and what not to do. At the end of the day it'll be a bunch of compromises of what's achievable within budget (money), time (release date), and platform performance.

Am I the only one here who doesn't mind that the game will be arcady? Its a new IP and don't think they have said it'll be a sim. As soon as i saw the first video I knew it'd be arcady, and that's not the game play videos.

I'd like a sandbox style simulator as much as most here, but this is't it so don't get up in arms about it, enjoy it for what it will be.