We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM And More!

Soundwave

Xbox-One-Logo-600x300.gif

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the followins to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One

Haha just read that the Xbone will need to be connected to the internet to download a day 1 patch that will enable this offline, no activation, used game playing functionality. :oook: So does that mean that if you buy on day 1 but don't connect it up that you can only use it for 24 hours?

There's a couple of mutterings about another basic SKU which would be minus Kinect for about the same price as PS4. What's interesting though is that PS4 is supposedly the more powerful system and that maybe even the Xbone has a GPU downgrade! Of course that doesn't mean you won't get great looking games but a lot of the demos and such at E3 were running on devkits and these are usually a good bit more powerful than the actual console.

Going to be an interesting couple of months for sure.

Meh. No word on Kinect and having to connect to the internet at all sort of defeats the purpose of removing the always-online requirement for people who can't waste their bandwidth cap or don't have access at all. And it's still $100 more than a PS4 which had none of those issues to begin with. :yawn:

I'm leaning towards the PS4.

It's cheaper, apparently more powerful, doesn't require Big Brother to be connected all the time, it's not full of what I already have in my mediabox hooked up to the TV, and Sony has been more player friendly from the beginning.

I'm not buying a console from those who calmly and stupidly said that for those with a poor connection, the Xbox 360 will do just fine.

Specially since M$ really needs to do well wth the Xbone..they didn't get off from a good start.

Sony is going full blast and they deserve it.

Microsoft shouldn't have thought, from the beginning, we are their b*tch, because we are not.

Also wtf? Why does the console need a one time connection to apply a day 1 patch that makes it work well offline.

That's stupid! Hey you mr. who doesn't have internet. Check our console, it works great without a connection, after you connect it to the internet once so that it can learn it doesn't really need internet. We are not that bright to learn that maybe the console should ship with that patch stored in the HDD, for optional installation.

Sounds like Don got back from Los Angeles to find some angry senior staff :)

Good on them for handling it the way they have here. Although I do have my suspicions that one day in the next 5-8 years they'll push out another mandatory update that essentially reverses this reversal and we are just delaying the inevitable. You could just not install this update but then you probably wouldn't be able to play The Crew ever again.

PS4 looks like the better console so far but now Xbox is starting to look like a better 'package'. (Keep in mind it's only $50 more expensive here). The big question will be whether or not Microsoft support the X360-compatible steering wheels. I can easily go without FM5, their demo looks boring (just more of the same FM4 stuff with improved visuals), will see if there's a sequel to FH.