We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Are Forza 5's physics better than Gran Turismo 6? 'Just do the math', says Turn 10

Soundwave

[headline]Are Forza 5's physics​ better than Gran Turismo 6? 'Just do the math', says Turn 10[/headline]

Forza Motorsport 5's physics engine "wouldn't have been possible with last generation hardware", Turn 10 creative director Dan Greenawalt has claimed, telling VideoGamer.com to "just do the math" when asked whether Forza 5's physics will be more realistic than those of upcoming PS3 racer Gran Turismo 6.

"The things we're doing on the Xbox One with Forza 5 physically just wouldn't have been possible with last-generation hardware," Greenawalt told us at Gamescom earlier today. "Partially because there wasn't enough power, but more importantly the approach. We have a completely new approach to how we're doing physics and a new partnership."

Greenawalt explained that Turn 10 ditched its partnership with Pirelli for Forza 5 to team up with Calspan, a science and technology research company that tested huge numbers of tyres in order to provide in-depth analytics for Forza 5’s handling.

"Calspan tested for weeks, and at the end of that they gave us millions of data points, and I have to admit, it was more than I was expecting," Greenawalt continued.

"I was a little bit like, 'Oh, okay...'. So I worked with them on how we would reintegrate that into our game so we could have all of these isolated variables and reconstruct them in real time. So when I say that we're doing things in this game that could not have been done last generation, I really mean it's on two axes.

"One, all these variables require power. We have power. The more important one is the approach. This approach, nobody is doing this. Not on the PC. Nowhere. Because you have to be, one, questioning your assumptions, and two, you have to be jumping into the deep end with partnerships, new approaches, and honestly throwing a lot of time and energy at it. To me it's a commitment to always be wrong. That's my favourite part of my job. I'm committed to always being wrong. So that means I'm always pursuing perfection and throwing things away. That's what made our entire physics so much better this time.

But does that mean Forza 5 will boast a more impressive physics simulation than Gran Turismo 6?

"Just do the math. Honestly," Greenawalt replied. "I don't know what their physics engine is. I know what mine is. What I know is my approach and the amount of power we have in the box allows us to do things that we certainly couldn't have done on the 360 and we didn't do on Forza Motorsport 4.

"I'm not playing their physics, but I think it's one of those things where there is physics involved in just what we're doing."

via Videogamer

Even the GRID 2 devs said their physics engine ran at 1000hz or something, and what did that give us? The comment that nothing like this is done on PC is also ridiculous. Of course that won't stop the wide-eyed kiddies going 'woooow' :)

I'll wait for independant reviews first - I'm sure it'll be good like it always has been and of course fun (which is the most important bit at the end of the day) but I never come away thinking it was a full-on sim. Forza cars always have felt a bit more 'rigid', twitchy, easier to save, whereas GT felt more natural somehow, no other game feels like GT however so it's hard to say. I know Tiff Needell did a piece on Fifth Gear the other year and he didn't like Forza 4 (or was it 3), and Ben Collins has said similar.

The good thing about both games having so many cars is that there's more of a chance of it having a car that you own or have driven, so there's more opportunity to compare. Maybe in 2 weeks when I get back from my day of driving a Scirocco R around the race track I'll try both games at home and see which is most similar.