We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Rockstar warns: do not install the "Play" disc on Xbox 360. [VIDEO ADDED]

Eudemon

UPDATE 3: Installing the "Play" disc to a USB Flash Drive solves this issue.

The link below to Eurogamer.net confirms that installing the "Play" disc to a USB Flash Drive will work if you don't want to play the disc or hate the jet engine noise the console makes when spinning a disc.

UPDATE 2: Video shows the reasoning

UPDATE: Digital Foundry chimes in.

"Rockstar recommends that you shouldn't install the GTA5 play disc on Xbox 360 and it's sound advice," Digital Foundry chief Richard Leadbetter said.

"When you first get the game, the first order of business is installing the mandatory content from disc one - this accounts for 7.7GB of data to install on your hard drive. Now, there's absolutely nothing stopping you installing disc two - the 'play' disc - onto the hard drive too, using the Xbox 360's dashboard to do so. It takes up an additional 7.8GB of storage. However, doing so impacts the game's ability to stream texture data, resulting in regular pop-in of in-game objects and textures.

"So what's the story here? Well, optimal streaming is achieved by making use of all the available bandwidth in the system. Why stream just from the hard drive when you can run in data simultaneously from both the disc and the HDD? Based on what we're seeing on the Xbox 360 version, perhaps running both DVD and HDD assets from just the one source slows down access times, impacting streaming performance. It's not game-breaking stuff, but it does take you out of the moment when it does manifest and for that reason we can't recommend installing the play disc.

"GTA5 isn't available for digital delivery on Xbox Live, but we are curious what the impact - if any - will be on the PS3 version, as that is available as a PSN download. The Digital Foundry Face-Off - due tomorrow morning at 11am - is based on comparison of the two retail disc versions of the game."

Original:

Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 players of GTA V to not install the "Play" disc. There is two discs, a mandatory install and a "Play" disc and the latter is the one they are recommending not to install.

"An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

via Eurogamer.net

Erm, I really can't see why they are suggesting this.

The seek time to read files from a DVD is more than 10x longer than it is to read from a HDD iirc, maybe longer. The transfer rate is also considerably slower from a DVD compared to a HDD. Even if both discs are installed I can't see it being any slower than if the play disc isn't installed.

I don't think there's any other reason either. :hmmm:

Meh not a problem for me I always play through the disk.

From what I've seen on the video there's a very noticeable difference which puzzles me, what could be the problem?

Though HDDs have better read/write speeds than the DVD drive, requiring it to read both the mandarory and optional content effectively halfs its speed. Installing both discs to the same source will increase pop-in simply because it's too much content for the drive to read.

SanDisk's drives are quite good. Good r/w speeds, good price/GB. I have a few full-size 16GB Cruzers and a 32GB Cruzer Facet which is a lot smaller, but works great for a daily driver. I've used the full-size Cruzers and they work with the 360's formatting, not sure about the Facet but there's no reason why it wouldn't. All were around $20US.

Patriot XT and not the piddly little ones.

I've used it for over a year running VMs and SQL databases from it with no issues. Just did a test on it too and it managed 34MBps on all file sizes with 1ms access time. I think I'll be installing one of the disks to it. :hmmm:

I'm not too sure but I don't think you can get much more than 35MBps from a USB2 flash drive.