We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Crew will have "over 40 vehicles". Wait... how many?!

Ryzza5

With over 40 vehicles and 19 distinct elements to customize in each of these rides[...]

I hope that's just a typo, not expecting hundreds due to the customisation but I was thinking for the time they have been making the assets and this game for there to be somewhere around 120+ on release.

It also seems strange to announce the amount of cars this early.

Guest MrLolololXD
But, as Creative Director Julian Gerighty knows, when it comes to cars it’s not just about quantity.

<50 cars is pathetic. Much like Diablo I would have expected at least 120 or so on release

What do we think if this is the reason for that number? They may count each upgraded instance of the base vehicle as a new car but wouldn't this mean Forza 4 has 3000+ cars then since there are about 5+ Classes you can upgrade virtually any car too? Seems a bit of a backwards decision if true.

An upgraded Camaro is still just a Camaro after all.

thecrew-twitter-20130925.png

The DLC milking could happen of course but would anyone be willing to buy the game in the first place with such a low amount to start with?

Guest MrLolololXD

TBH I've lost a lot of confidence in the game now after hearing the 'over 40 cars' thing. I know there's still a while until the release and things could change by then, but I mean really, if you were going to add more then why would you announce over 40 now???

And in response to Herve, no I wouldn't count each spec as a separate car. Because once again as you said Diablo, if it was counted that way Forza would have THOUSANDS of cars. And I'm sure if they advertised it that way, then only presented 500-600 cars in the final game that were modifiable, which accounted for adding up to the 'thousands' of cars, fans/gamers/pre-purchasers would be up in arms over the whole thing.

~40 games is what you'd expect to see in a mainstream IOS/Android racing game like Asphalt or Real Racing, or from a studio that doesn't have a massive publisher like Ubi or EA behind them. We'll have to see exactly what cars they've selected and go from there I guess.

The only thing in their favour (which might be what Herve was alluding to) is that they don't technically have to have a bunch of supercars + SUVs for example since one car *could* be both to some extent.

Yeah but again due to licensing you would have to imagine that the modified car is still going to have the looks of the base car so it's not entirely new. I'll frankly be amazed if there is under 100 cars for this game, especially when you have the licenses of BMW, Lamborghini and Maserati for example.

Also if they think using the different modes to equate to a whole new car is going to be looked upon well, I think they're in for a shock. Especially when this hits mainstream gaming channels.

Hmm I was defiantly expecting more cars, more along the lines of 100, although for me at least, I have a set few that I drive and that's it. Forza 4 for instance with its 300+ cars, I only drive about 10-15 of them. And I really hope they aren't going to be keeping more cars out of the standard game and making them DLC, as that highly pisses me off.

It could be possible that they anticipate to have many more cars in the game, but as of right now they have only officially licensed ~40 cars. If 5 more manufacturers signed contracts tomorrow you could be looking at another 30 cars just like that, for example. Of course those numbers are just made up to make a point.

I really don't think it can be 40, especially when you have licenses such as BMW and Lamborghini who could fill half of that easily. And if what we've heard in the past about - the cost of - those two in particular, then I can't see why you would effectively do an EA (hardly using Porsche) and waste the money spent on the them.

Lower number than expected (expected 50 - 60 mark), but if the open world is good and games fine then it'll be enough as there is a few cars I like in the list so far. Like someone above said, I tend to have a select bunch of cars that I drive often.

Am surprised at the number, Driver SF had much more for starters. Although I guess it is the reason why they keep showing the same cars over and over?

The select bunch of cars is something that happens a lot in racing games due to the need to pick the best being the usual need, with a freeroam game though I always find myself trying a lot more cars than I normally would. Reason being of course that you are free to go at your own pace and there is no need for it to be contender in anyway. It's also why sound is really important to me as even though the Ferrari 360 CS is one of my favourite cars ever, I just could not look over - or hear over should I say - the engine note they gave it and hence I very very rarely used except for that first day after I downloaded it.

maybe they mean the "basic" car number and not every variation of a car (coupe/cabrio/roadster; McLaren F1 standard/LM/GTR/GT etc), though it still makes a quite low number - TDU1 had ~110 "basic" car models + 9 Bikes including the Car-Pack

btw: I just returned, was Anentropia on the old TDU-Central Forums; please see my (re)introduction post