We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Anime Thread

Loz

Noticed a few anime fans here, lets have a thread. Nothing appeared in search.

Soo... What has everyone been watching? Discuss.

I've been a few loads of anime recently. and I thought i'll give a quick review of the ones i've watched.

K-ON!:Currently my #1. Not sure why I really like it, maybe because it's pretty cheery and light hearted and cute. Would love to see a College type show with the girls.

Spice and Wolf: Soo close to topping K-ON!. If only it had a 3rd season with some closure and such. Holo is a fantastic charcter and the banter with Lawrence is great. Slightly weird concept for an anime though, Money and trading over combat an so on. My avatar is Holo from this series.

Lucky Star: Similar vein to K-ON! with girls doing bugger all for the most part. Clever anime culture references were funny. Dat OP too... It won't leave.

Haruhi Suzumiya: Pretty good. The back and forth between Haruhi and Kyon makes for some good chuckles. Nagato get some unintentional funnies due to deadpan delivery, even more so in the Haruhi-Chan series. I watched the movie before I watched the rest of season 2 (Endless 8), according to some places, it doesn't really matter what order to watch.

Clannad: Only watch the first 9 eps, but holy crap the feels. Never expected an anime to make me well up like that. From what i've read, more feels happen later on. Will get round to it in the future.

Rosario + Vampire: Not sure what to make of this one, my brother suggested I watch it. Quite repetetive after a while.

Baccano: Fantastic show. Was tricky to follow some of the plot for a bit, but ties it up towards the ending I guess? Love the style and setting though. That intro too, it's one that if you're marathoning it you don't skip because it's brilliant.

Strike Witches: Not sure why I watched this, but it's suprisingly a fun watch.

Girls und Panzer: Watched this subbed. It's kind of a similar theme to Stikes Witches, girls and military hardware, but pulls it off better but being a bit more rooted in reality.

That's all i've watched recently, with things like Cowboy Bebop, Initial D and Love Hina watched last year. Tried things like One Piece and Evangelion but couldn't get into them.

This list doesn't could the few shows i've only watched 1 or 2 eps off, mainly things like Toradora which I will watch at a later date, as i've heard good things about it.

Manga allowed as well? ;)

I've seen clips from alot, read alot and such from the list below.

Initial D - Both Anime & manag. I'm sure it needs no introduction around here. In short, japanese touge racing and EUROBEAT(in the animes), quite real in most respects. I got a small number of the Manga's, as well as seen Seasons 1 - 4 & half of the 5th season for Initial D. It's got all the fancy in-depth talk of cars as well as driving techniques.

Azumanga Daioh - Again, Anime & Manga. Really random one in a good way, Japanese school girls in the same way as Lucky Star...but really random! Only got the 3rd manga(only made 4 if i remember correctly), and not seen the anime fully...it's done as a sort of shot clips if that makes sense! Can see one sketch then the bit after wont be related sort of thing!

Yotsuba - Manga only (no Anime), same writer as Azumanga. It's About life from an 8 year old girls point of view, very light hearted, cheery and innocent.

Wagan midnight -Only seen the Anime. Much like Initial D, but set on the Wagan!(think of the highway).

Over Rev - Manga only. Kinda like Initial D but much more light hearted, also the main person is a girl who has an AW11 MR2.

Hellsing - Seen half of the Anime, and is diffrent from the movie & manag. I liked it, much different to the other stuff I've talked about. About vampires and such but I really liked it! Current avatar is from that.

Thats the one's I've seen lots of. Seen clips fromNichijou(seems alot like lucky star & Azumanga) and seems random as hell! Love it for that. Also Lucky Star I've seen bits of.

Seen more but don't know the names of them, my other friends are bigger into Anime than me so we'll often watch something and i wont know what it is. :lol:

Watched episode one of Azumanga, seemed alright, probally need to watch a few more though.

Also watched the first 3 episodes of Hellsing. Seems like it's good, but i'm a little underwhelmed at the minute, I expected a bit more Alucard and some fight/shooting scenes. Maybe this picks up later?

From what my friends have told me with the Hellsing Anime is it's more based on Seras than anyone else, and how she deals with becoming a vampire, wheres the manga/film are(also the Anime doesn't follow the manga in alot of parts I'm told). Also the manga is more dank & gritty than the Anime.

The action does improve(I only saw the first 7 episodes) though. :)

I'm gonna start watching Spice and Wolf today. Anime is a bit new to me. I'm a fan of older stuff like Case Closed & Tenchi Muyo.. both being my 2 favourites.

I finished Gurren Lagann which I loved and I'm almost done with Stiens;Gate. I'm gonna stay posted to this thread with your guys' suggestions. As long as they aren't full of disgusting, trashy, fan-service, I'm happy to give them a go.

From what my friends have told me with the Hellsing Anime is it's more based on Seras than anyone else, and how she deals with becoming a vampire, wheres the manga/film are(also the Anime doesn't follow the manga in alot of parts I'm told). Also the manga is more dank & gritty than the Anime.

The action does improve(I only saw the first 7 episodes) though. :)

You'd think with all the appearences in the into that Alucard would be the main focus :p

I do like stuff with strong development of charcters, so to me the Seras stuff is pretty good.

I got to Ep 7, action was great.

On another topic. Anyone know if imported Blu Rays will work on my UK PS3? I wanna buy This but am unsure if it would work.

You'd think with all the appearences in the into that Alucard would be the main focus :p

I do like stuff with strong development of charcters, so to me the Seras stuff is pretty good.

I got to Ep 7, action was great.

On another topic. Anyone know if imported Blu Rays will work on my UK PS3? I wanna buy This but am unsure if it would work.

True with that! That said if it was't for Alucard there would be no Hellsing! Also he has all the kick ass powers and stuff! But also like Seras more myself(depleated uranium shells anyone? :lol: ).

With the blue-ray issue, it should't be a problem as PS3's are region free :D ...I imported a copy of Initial D Extreme Stage(PS3 game, only sold in Japan & Asia) and works fine. (other than 905 of stuff being in Japanese...but a racing games a racing game :lol: )

Well, just finished the last ep of Hellsing. Alucard really picks up then and shows his proper power. While Seras I like, she didn't seem to do much in the last episodes beside the Tower of London Siege, a little more from her could make her look a stronger charcter.

Now to watch Hellsing Ultimate, i've heard they are even better.

Having finished the Hellsing TV Series and 8 of the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs. The OVA series is much better in my eyes. In the TV Series, I didn't care much for the main villain at the end of the series and would liked to have seen more Paladin Anderson. I heard somewhere is that this is due to not having enough source material. The OVAs though follow a more straight forward plot with Seras getting alot more development aswell as seeing more Anderson and such.

Anyway, here is something awesome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIY36UbDbQQ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lets try and kick a bit of discussion into this thread with a nice simple question... Who is you favourite Male and Female anime charcter and why?

My favourite male character would probally be between Spike from Cowboy Bebop and Kyon from Haruhi. Spike needs no explaination really, he's Spike. Kyon is up there for the snark he has throughout the Haruhi series, he brings it more down to earth with his narration.

Favourite female without a doubt would be Holo from Spice and Wolf. The wit and snark she has is unmatched by anyone I can think of. The chemistry she has with Kraft Lawrence is brilliant too, bouncing off eachother naturally.

• 2 weeks later...
Lets try and kick a bit of discussion into this thread with a nice simple question... Who is you favourite Male and Female anime charcter and why?

Bit of a hard one, but Male would be Bunta Fujiwara from Initial D, the main character's Dad. Because he's so bad ass. Im sure

. Also teaching his son to become a driving legend by getting him to deliver tofu since the age of 13, useing an AE86 and the only road happens to be an epic touge path. Bunta himself was a legend of a driver, which you pick up on but never anything is given about him other than that, and he knows his mechanical stuff.

Female? Would have to be Osaka from Azuma Daioh. Because she's her. :lol:

And a special mention to Hatsune Miku.

I'll get a post up later today of my figures.

Initial D passed me by for some good make characters. Hellsing I forgot too, with Alucard.

On another note, anyome been following any current shows? I've been following the second season of Chu-2, Pilots Love Song, Space Dandy and Sakura Trick.