We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Likes = No rep - rep it or say to show your appreciation

Eudemon

For over a month now we have been testing out removing the added reputation a 'Like' would give as we were seeing people mass Like and not take the time to comment or rep a member if they felt they deserved it. It's been funny watching the same people Like the same people, I wonder if they know that 'rep' is no longer given when you do this. A like is simply that, you like what someone has posted. Now if you want to properly show your appreciation to someone then either give them rep and/or post a comment too.

And I can't believe I am saying this either, but if you want someone to reply to you, make sure you are replying to them or other people too. You may not realise it but you notice people who post in response to others more so than those who only want to be posted about. I see it personally in a number of threads where people post their own media, but completely miss out those above them and then get annoyed when noone comments on theirs.

It works both ways.

Obviously this isn't aimed at everyone but I have been watching for the paths people take and it's easy to see those I am talking about.

And I can't believe I am saying this either, but if you want someone to reply to you, make sure you are replying to them or other people too. You may not realise it but you notice people who post in response to others more so than those who only want to be posted about. I see it personally in a number of threads where people post their own media, but completely miss out those above them and then get annoyed when noone comments on theirs.

That annoys me a lot, too.

I hope I was/am using the like button in a good manner.

Yeah the cbox people who come on and say it's quiet because not many have said much in their when there is new threads and posts always makes me :eyebrow:. And yeah I'll update that thread shortly, I just wanted to give this it's own thread so it's properly (hopefully) seen.

Well you can't be :eyebrow: at me - I've posted heaps recently. There's a whole lotta threads I've started too with no replies since you don't want one thread for everything on a given object.

Sorry, had to like the first post because...

I never knew(or forgot) that the like system gave out rep, I've always seen it in the same way a Facebook like is used, to show you like/approve/support something.

I'm not sure if I knew it gave rep or not, to be honest.. I've always just hit "like" to show "WOW MAN THATS SO COOL".. instead of saying it and looking over enthusiastically stupid.

Anyway! I haven't given out rep in a long time - Time to spread some around, if anyone earns it..

+1

I'm not sorry

:lol:

...anyway to actually contribute something to the discussion:

At first I didn't really see the 'like' cliques that were forming having that big an effect as I thought people weren't gaining from them due to them only adding +1 reputation, but I guess over time they do build up.

But yah it would be better if people gave actual feedback/opinions rather than just liking posts, would generate discussion. I'll make an effort to do this myself too

Well you can't be :eyebrow: at me
Indeed I am not.

To be fair, when people say "not much happing here", there meaning on the Chat Box I think(at least that's what i mean).

But will admit it's the same link of topics i stay on...sometimes wondering to others to look/post.

I don't have an issue with people in the cbox, I just don't like that is for a large part all they do and that they complain when noone is in talking to them when tduck is spamming notifications like mad.

I'm not sure if I knew it gave rep or not, to be honest.. I've always just hit "like" to show "WOW MAN THATS SO COOL".. instead of saying it and looking over enthusiastically stupid.
That's fine, a Like is for things like that, but remember is if it's SUPER AWESOMELICIOUS post a reply or give some rep instead.

Anyway! I haven't given out rep in a long time - Time to spread some around, if anyone earns it..
Exactly, rep is earned hence why I removed it from Likes.

*Makes a new road*

Sod paths!

In other news, you get the same people repping the same few people over and over again.

ZOMG I had a brilliant day, I ate chips *+ rep*

I had to like this and reply, was going to rep you but thought against it as it was closer to a Like than a +rep. :cheeky:

+1
And this is why I love you guys. :nuts: