We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Bought my first car

And3rs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think TSW are soooo bad, but would go with something more even lighter and Japanese. :)

Wheels aside, you've said that you had been detailing cars alongside doing other other jobs or whatever. I'm interested to hear from you how did you manage to get into the detailing, I mean if you've contacted a valeting/detailing company or started on your own. I am not experienced in it but I love all that detailing stuff and everything around it and have been thinking about starting a little business as my summer holidays job... If I ever buy some products and machins and all that lovely nonsense to get it started, which I'm certainly sure is not going to happen.

I don't think TSW are soooo bad, but would go with something more even lighter and Japanese. :)

I´m listening.. I haven´t decided yet, I just thought they looked good.

Wheels aside, you've said that you had been detailing cars alongside doing other other jobs or whatever. I'm interested to hear from you how did you manage to get into the detailing, I mean if you've contacted a valeting/detailing company or started on your own. I am not experienced in it but I love all that detailing stuff and everything around it and have been thinking about starting a little business as my summer holidays job... If I ever buy some products and machins and all that lovely nonsense to get it started, which I'm certainly sure is not going to happen.
Long story... I´ll try and make it short. My dad has been responsible for the cars of a couple of firms, and when I was 14 I think, he wanted me to polish some white van belonging to his company.. So I did, and earned a bit of money. I had no idea what I was doing, but he kept giving me more cars to polish so I could earn more money and the cars could avoid rusting. While polishing these cars, although my dad didn´t think it was very important how it turned out because they were only old vans, I started reading about polishing cars on the internet and watching youtube videos to get a sense of what I was really doing and if I was doing it correct. Slowly, I´ve developed more and more knowledge and gotten a lot of experience from detailing many, many cars. At first I would only do like my dad said; wash the cars with some soap and sponge, dry it and polish with a all in one cleaner, polish, wax. Now, I do so much more... For instance I use Iron X after washing which is a liquid that removes iron particles that has gotten stuck in the paint, from brake calipers and god knows what. It costs about $27 for a bottle with 5dl. So last fall I thought why not buy a little more at a time and spent $200 on it and some tar/dirt remover..

How do I get customers? I don't know.. They just kind of come to me. Neighbors see me detail cars, ask me if I want to detail their cars, their grandpa wants me to detail his BMW too, grandpa´s boss sees shiny BMW and asks who did it, boss wants me to detail his 360hp V10 Touareg, I detail Touareg and drive it (16 years old at the time).. Yep that happened, and similar stories keep happening. I never ask people if I can detail their cars, they somehow just discover me and be like, omg better get my car detailed!

I would recommend you to read a lot about detailing and if you feel ready, get ahold of some products and a car to detail. That´s about all you have to do to get started...

Detailing cars has exploded in the past 10-15 years, you could even see if a dealer wants you do their products as I see on twitter (via carpaps) dealers and repair shops asking detailers if they can come in. And you're probably getting random people due to word-of-mouth, the most powerful and respected reference someone can give. :)

Thank you! :D

Nice work Suffero!

But for almost 25k i would've bought something less female-ish. :cheeky:

Haha, actually I don´t agree that it´s very feminine, and if people think it is, I see no reason to care. Your signature says it all, it does´t matter how many horsepower your car has (mine has about 130 but at 1080kg it feels plenty quick + sounds cool) or what people think about you when you drive it when you´re having fun. When I lower it 60mm and put cool summer rims on it, it will only look bold ;)

I think girls will love the vibrations in the seat and the wind in their hair! :cheeky:

Haha, actually I don´t agree that it´s very feminine, and if people think it is, I see no reason to care. Your signature says it all, it does´t matter how many horsepower your car has (mine has about 130 but at 1080kg it feels plenty quick + sounds cool) or what people think about you when you drive it when you´re having fun. When I lower it 60mm and put cool summer rims on it, it will only look bold ;)

I think girls will love the vibrations in the seat and the wind in their hair! :cheeky:

Was just stating my opinion. They are really decent cars and from what i've read/heard/seen they are fun to drive indeed.

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

They look tons better when lower yes.

Was just stating my opinion. They are really decent cars and from what i've read/heard/seen they are fun to drive indeed.

I know, I didn´t aim that at you personally :) Yeah, they are!

http://imageshack.us/a/img688/8956/img0097low.jpg

They look tons better when lower yes.

Yeah, that´s a member on forum.miata.net´s car, looks awesome. He´s got 18" rims which I think is a little to much, but my car will be about the same height. Looks low (119cm?) and wide :D

Long story... I´ll try and make it short. My dad has been responsible for the cars of a couple of firms, and when I was 14 I think, he wanted me to polish some white van belonging to his company.. So I did, and earned a bit of money. I had no idea what I was doing, but he kept giving me more cars to polish so I could earn more money and the cars could avoid rusting. While polishing these cars, although my dad didn´t think it was very important how it turned out because they were only old vans, I started reading about polishing cars on the internet and watching youtube videos to get a sense of what I was really doing and if I was doing it correct. Slowly, I´ve developed more and more knowledge and gotten a lot of experience from detailing many, many cars. At first I would only do like my dad said; wash the cars with some soap and sponge, dry it and polish with a all in one cleaner, polish, wax. Now, I do so much more... For instance I use Iron X after washing which is a liquid that removes iron particles that has gotten stuck in the paint, from brake calipers and god knows what. It costs about $27 for a bottle with 5dl. So last fall I thought why not buy a little more at a time and spent $200 on it and some tar/dirt remover..

How do I get customers? I don't know.. They just kind of come to me. Neighbors see me detail cars, ask me if I want to detail their cars, their grandpa wants me to detail his BMW too, grandpa´s boss sees shiny BMW and asks who did it, boss wants me to detail his 360hp V10 Touareg, I detail Touareg and drive it (16 years old at the time).. Yep that happened, and similar stories keep happening. I never ask people if I can detail their cars, they somehow just discover me and be like, omg better get my car detailed!

I would recommend you to read a lot about detailing and if you feel ready, get ahold of some products and a car to detail. That´s about all you have to do to get started...

Oh, that's a cool story. Started from the bottom and now we're here, huh. :cheeky:

You don't have to tell me what Iron X is, I think I still have a half of bottle left. I'm lurking every day on Detailingworld, have read a lot of info there as well as watched videos (Larry Kosilla from Ammo NYC makes very very helpful ones, he's really good). It all depends on my parents whether I'll talk them into buying me something or not. We have recently bought a "new" car and the paint is in a really bad state. :/

Keep it up, man.

Haha thanks, you could say so :p

Ah, didn´t know how much you knew about it already. Larry and his videos are awesome, I should watch more of his videos myself actually haha. If you just bought a new car and paint is bad, and you already know how to fix it, that should be easy to talk to your parents about. Tell them what you´ll do and how much it will improve the paints looks and all of that. If they care for their car even slightly, that should sound very convincing.. Good luck.

I will! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...