We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What OS are you running on your gaming PC?

Ryzza5

What OS is your gaming PC running?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What OS is your gaming PC running?

• XP 32-bit
    • XP 64-bit
    • Vista 32-bit
    • Vista 64-bit
    • 7 32-bit
    • 7 64-bit
    • 8.1 32-bit
    • 8.1 64-bit
    • Linux/UNIX/SteamOS
    • I don't play A+++ games on PC

This poll is closed to new votes

Looking at this from the more narrow perspective of A+++ game development.

For example, if new games didn't work on XP (at all), would you be screwed?

Or if new games only worked on Windows 64-bit (given that new consoles are similar to 64-bit PC architecture this could be a realistic possibility) would you have to upgrade?

I've got Windows 8.1 Pro Media Centre x64 on my gaming PC, prior to that I had Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and before that I had Vista Ultimate x64, so I've been on the x64 train for quite a while now.

I wouldn't call my 5 years old PC a gaming PC but I have got Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit three years ago. Before that, XP SP3. I think I'll have hardware problems in the future, I can't run ETS2 in full settings even I have a tiny resolution (1280x1024). And I don't play A+++ games either.

The relatively new Dell laptop, used only by my parents, is running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

• 2 weeks later...

nah, there's always gonna be much nerdier types out there. I used to format my PC once a year to keep it fresh and now find myself not being bothered to do so. I've even got a base- backup image so I don't have to waste time reinstalling core software and drivers

So now I'm looking into how to install Mac OSX on my PC (again... just because) and after a few hours reading and downloading stuff it looks fairly straight forward (in theory).

Ordered the Retail DVD for 10.6 (last DVD available, everything beyond is through the Mac Store).

Downloaded the 10.6.8 update.dmg file (needed to upgrade to Mavericks for free)

Download iBoot (Ivy Bridge) and MultiBeast and Chameleon to sort out the bootup

Downloaded the latest BIOS for my ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe board and patched the BIOS file to unlock the sector that allows OSX to sleep properly

Downloaded someone's DSDT file for my motherboard which allows the various drivers (audio, network, etc) to be installed correctly.

The biggest pain frankly will be setting up an empty drive to use to install OSX and the new bootloader to it and then reconfiguring a dual-boot scenario with Windows again.

• Ryzza5 locked this topic