We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Coupe or Convertible?

calster17

Coupé or Convertible?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Coupé or Convertible?

Thread name says it all really.

While browsing some cars for sale, I could't help myself but get drawn to the roofless editions of some cars insted of the coupe. Even though I live in a country that's famed for having "4 seasons in one day" weather. Even though alot of convertible's have less stiff body's due to cutting the roof off, and you can look like too much of a poser in some convertibles...I've a soft spot for roofless motoring.

So whats other people opinions? :)

EDIT - This is for cars that are/were offered as both a coupe & a convertible! So No bringing the MX5 into this! ;)

I'd go for a Coupé personally, I just enjoy the feeling of security and that it's a full car that I don't think I'd get with a soft-top. A metal folding roof is a different story, but even then I'm unsure if they're worth getting due to the extreme weight of the systems (unless it's a mclaren 12-c spider).

Seems' to be in sitting in my own corner as it is when it comes to picking a drop top to a tin top. :lol:

I'll be honest and say that it does depend on the car though, as some convertible's i'd rather not even remember (Mk2 Renault Megane CC anyone?), but others are some of my secret loves of the car world.....E92 M3, I would.

Maybe I'm a sucker for letting myself get my heart set on driving around on a nice road in the west coast of Scotland, roof down and the sun out...on days like these and all. :cool:

---

Added a poll :)

Thanks. Although I should change the description as this is about cars that are sold as both a coupe & convertible. :nods:

It really depends on the car, but the ability to go topless is awesome. I used to be a coupe person, and I do think convertibles are more 'girly.'

If it is a normal coupe with the roof cut off, I'd probably choose the coupe (6 or 3-series, Mustang, Camaro, etc.). These cars are just heavy boulevard cruisers. But small 2-door roadsters (Miata, S2000, MGs), Targa/T-tops, and supercar roadsters are great.

Convertibles has their own appeal but i think i'll rather buy coupe or at least hardtop, theres just too much to worry about with soft top (surface damage , leaking etc.)

Seems' to be in sitting in my own corner as it is when it comes to picking a drop top to a tin top. :lol:

I'll be honest and say that it does depend on the car though, as some convertible's i'd rather not even remember(Mk2 Renault Megane CC anyone?

Can i ask why?

When it comes to bad conevrtibles i dont think anything can beat Citroen C3 Pluriel in my eyes after watching Top Gear Worst Car of The World Special :D

Plus with all that wind going through your/your passengers' hair you'll have plenty of hairdressing to do!

That's what windbreaks are for. :cheeky:

If you have a windbreak and are a normal height that your hair is fine. It's only a problem if you're too tall(me >.<) or stick your head out on purpose because it's fun.

Can i ask why?

When it comes to bad conevrtibles i dont think anything can beat Citroen C3 Pluriel in my eyes

The Megan CC (Mk2) was just....I dont even know, I just never liked the way it looked! :lol: But with you bringing the C3 Pluriel into the picture....

Meh. E93, really? It's a fat pig, it's good just for slow cruising.

It's one of them cars I like for some reason. Sure it suffers from being a bit of a poser's car, the woman's choice for a M car and the fact Cheryl Cole drove one in her video "know my name" (Actually, how is that a bad thing? :lol: )

But I like it. :)

---

@Mellors - Your right! But This is for cars that were offered as both coupe & convertible, the F/TF were never offered as a coupe. Well other than the 1 prototype they made..

I just remember the fun I had with the MR2,T-bar off at every opportunity day & night. Keep a pair of safety goggles in the car so could stand and stick out the roof. :lol:

The Megan CC (Mk2) was just....I dont even know, I just never liked the way it looked! :lol: But with you bringing the C3 Pluriel into the picture....

It's one of them cars I like for some reason. Sure it suffers from being a bit of a poser's car, the woman's choice for a M car and the fact Cheryl Cole drove one in her video "know my name" (Actually, how is that a bad thing? :lol: )

But I like it. :)

Actually i think theres nothing wrong with its looks, but its still French car after all.

And i thoug it was a E92 that Cheryl Cole drove in the video,well i was probably watching her more than the car :D

Actually i think theres nothing wrong with its looks, but its still French car after all.

And i thoug it was a E92 that Cheryl Cole drove in the video,well i was probably watching her more than the car :D

Nothing wrong with french cars, the Clio's are the most reliable cars I've owned! (somehow!). I just dont like the way that the Mk2 Megan CC looks...but we all like different things!

And I'm much the same with the video! Much like how I almost missed the DS3-R in

by Pixie Lott. :lol:

So it was then and is a valid choice. :cheeky:

Said car was never sold though. ;)

2010-nickey-stage-ii-1969-l71-corvette-convertible-050.jpg

One of my more memorable experiences was taking a ride in one of these bad boys. The owner had shipped a 427 engine in that had been prepped by Edelbrock and chromed in the US to put under the hood. Our responsibility was to get the car through MOT X_X

Anyway, with the top down I could hear that engine (or wild beast, whatever you prefer) roar in an upset manner through it's straight through side pipe exhaust system in a way that I'm sure a properly sealed hardtop would never allow. That for me is the appeal of a convertible.

Versus a hardtop though, I struggle to justify the folder. Hardtops are used for performance vehicles much of the time, except when it comes to super and hyper cars which are generally posermobiles anyway. Will you notice the extra chassis rigidity? Unless you are massively into driving then no; but for me it's nice to know that it's there, along with a piece of metal to keep my scalp away from the road.

I value that last thing immensely.

Depends on the car really... some coupes look ugly compared to the convertible (BMW Z4, Chrysler Crossfire for example). But I'd still be more inclined to get a metal folding roof over a soft-top any day as well.

Only exception would be if I was to get an old cheap fun car with a soft-top for the occasional drive and have a daily driver with a proper roof.

Added a poll :)

Mike did mod work? :eek:

Coupé all the way! The only convertible cars I'd consider are those with hard top, being the 458 and 12C on the top and E92 on the bottom (damn it's ugly! And I like the coupe a lot!). Look what they've done to the F-type the coupe version looks stunning! I think that a Targa doesn't "qualify" as a convertible and old cars are in other league E-Type, Corvette...