We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ray sensitive Road texture by Kishin

Kishin

During the test, My car shop mod made by ModdingTools1.16.2bugfix failed to start at the entrance scene .. Something like this didn't happen when I use ModdingTool1.5 ..

One thing is becomming clear .. the difference of the Version of ModdingTools somehow affects modmaking if I am right.

'Cuz about one mod file, the installation result comes out different between 1.5 and 1.16.2. (donno it's cause thou)

I hope eveyone to use moddingTools 1.5 for installation but I cannto find the download page now.. at least worth trying if you have I guess,,

I am checking what kind of proccess directly affects my failure .. extracting?.... saving? .. identifying to default file? or final installing? .. but not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey.

I've the same problem.

I took care about, the original file size, dimensions of the texture, mipmapcount, same dxt format,

keeping the original fileheader from, of course, the original file, when repacking.

But nothing changes.

With other textures i've never had this difficulties.

I tried with, keeping the filesize when replacing, and with modifying it.

Other road mods work normal.

I replaced both r4 d 01 files , in commonworld AND commonworldDiv2, with my version.

But the game shows the original road.

From where does the game take those originals, if they are replaced ?

When i extract the modified bnk, it shows my version, ingame not.

Maybe there is a texture bounded to the some 3dd file ?

A road 3d model with a fixed original texture,

in megapack or some patches, to have a quicker loadingtime ?

I got megapack, green pepper bought version, and patch 1.68a.

I use mt 1.10.2 and 1.16.0 and BNKFileEditor.

You maybe know, i worked a bit with textures allready.

Only the dome and the road textures are not so easy to be changed for me, for some reason.

I've done some cosmetic to the road texture look here :

my version : [ATTACH]21083[/ATTACH] orginal :[ATTACH]21082[/ATTACH]

Hi .. good to see you Djoy

Give me just some time I'll check them out.

I guess you posted those in JPG form for avoiding directly sending original,

So I suppose those actual original size is 3.00mb (1024 x 1024) in BMP . right? ... looks like R4-01 .. d file

I'll paste those pics onto the original r4d-01 and see if it works on my PC now

if the road texture size is different between yours and mine, that would be more interesting thing ..I'm a bit curious.about it

But the evidence you extracted modified texture again shows that you made no mistake in the modding there.

It's totally mysterious.

Under my PC environment (with No megapack, Only 1.16a patch) .. your mod should go like this.

[ATTACH]21084[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21085[/ATTACH]

upper one is original

[ATTACH]21086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21087[/ATTACH]

file size: 2db 682KB

...............dds 682KB

...............BMP 3.00MB

'Cus I am not having Megapack and better patch than 1,16a, the default size would be perfect fit for me?

Djoy .. I think your gave me a good suggestion, I gotta check out other modders' road texture size before uploading my road mod.

Logically if you have other road mod that once works fine on your PC, then .. if you paste your mod to that very road BMP, I think it should work well I guess.

I posted in jpg, because attachements here don't support bmp format.

Yes, size of the r4 d 01 bmp is about 3 megabyte at 1024x1024, in dds and in 2db it is 682 kb just like original .

I convert the bmp with dds converter 2 into nvidia dxt1a format with 7 bitmaps.

For commonworldDiv2 i would do the 512x512 texture with 6 mipmaps, because the original is like that,

but as the commonworld.bnk file does no change, there is no sense to try that yet .

If me or you found out, what the miracle is here, i try how it looks,

if the texture has the same quality in commonworldDiv2.

I have the gloss or glow files done allready too, even for 2048x2048 , and then modify size replacing the bigger 2db.I tried it yet,

game starts normally, but no change to be seen. Really strange.

I always use PhotoShop and save my modified file in BMP 24bit..but I don't think that's the problem

Once I had a quite similar mysterious experience when I worked on Billboard Mod,

I succeeded in 2 billboard pics (pb-a15, pb-a16) but the ones from 1 to 14 won't be shown in the game,

I tried many times but i failed again and again,

and someday I downloaded "Autumn Natural" oh, i forgot actual Mod Name, sorry,

But I was surprised to see Billboard file size is different

dafault: pb_a1 2db = 22kb dds = 22kb BMP = 97

MOD: pb_a1 2db = 86kb dds = 86kb BMP = 385

So I made new billboard mod by pasting My Pics onto that mod textures,

Then surprise, surprise I succeeded!

I've been told that billboard files are directed by dynamic files and nobody cannnot show your all pics in the game,

But I learned something like this happen ... the default size is useless in mod but the other size is validated ... No way!

[ATTACH]21089[/ATTACH]

Yes, the filesize cannot be the problem, because other roadmods use also the original filesizes.

i check if it is the dxt fileformat, as there are 2 to be chosen in the dds converter, some S3 format,

wich i don't know what that is, and the nvidia dxt format.

I stopped using the modding tools converter's force mipmapcount function, because there i had to type

2 more than i needed, for it having the right number when rechecking (test extracting) the files again.

With dds converter 2 i can choose between dxt 1 to dxt 5, and the mipmapcount is correct.

All other textures, except the ones i allready told, work good with the nvidia dxt format.

I tried it with a commonworld.bnk from another mod.

Didn't work.

What i try today is, if it is maybe the write protection in windows.

Can't imagine that this is it, because i allways worked, for example,

with the plant textures, in the game's folder.

But maybe I set up the write protection up again when i was done with it.

I tell if it is it, later.

Tried and tried tonight.

This little thought just came to me.

Maybe mt tells it is saved, but it isn't, because of protection you know.

One thing i can say, that it is not the S3 or nvidia dxt format.

Seems to not matter at all.

With filesizes, you don't have to use the original filesizes.

For example i doubled up the dimensions of a light file for a car,

and it just looks better ingame ;-).

Some files for lights off have better resolution than for lights on,

because they surely thought, ok it is an online game, let's save memory for performance.

But hey, what's the big difference between 128x128 and 256x256, exactly, 256 looks better,

and if you have the light on permanently, there is no loadingtime effect, so what.

In fact the performance is effected,

if there is a difference in size between two related themselve quickly exchanging textures.

So it is better if they have the same size, for the overall performance not to vary.

With the patch for having no filesizelimit, you can choose what size makes sense.

I found out, if i take a roadmod that comes with a commonworld.bnk, it works.

If it is an r4 d 01.2db file to put into my allready being there commonworld.bnk, it does not.

So it must be the way modding tools is saving the 2db file into the commonworld.

I go try if it is the writeprotection.

Edit :

It is it.

And i looked the entire time at the wrong place, the 2 lined landroads.

Next step, eat, then trying 2048x2048 :-).

[ATTACH]21096[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21097[/ATTACH]

The fact that my billboard files and his original billboard mod (both 86kb..dafault22kb) worked fine tells me the file size is not necessarily the problem.

But still that cannot explain why my first billboard files(22kb) didn't work at all.

It's just as if some other dynamic file or other game system commands and force to bring the original texture files all back.(my mod thrown to the dust)

It could be some protection but I don't get it about why all those dedault files all comes back..(while all my first biiblard textures vanished).

If the game crashes at the start, maybe I have to admit my files failed to work 'cus the dafault files are already overriden and kicked out of CommonWorld.bnk (nothing left to work).

But they keep coming back like a ghost.

Still weird thing is why tdu game accepted my 2nd billboard mod files(86kb) the other way around.

I don't know i can say "default size is even disadvantage" but it's as if the game forgets to summon up the dedault priority that time.

And I couldn't find any difference between 1st and his mod and my 2nd other than file size... ( i might have overlooked something thou)

The hint and key is ... Several players say some road mod files do work in their game,

So I'll check some road mods if they have typical difference or not.

--- Post Updated ---

you succeeded ?

--- Post Updated ---

Congrats

And have a nice meal ... you need rest

Tnx for the help.

I would never have looked to that other place without your pictures.

There is a difference, the dxt fileformat.

I don't know with what you convert your bmp,

you've got from photoshop, to dds, but,

i use dds converter 2.

There are 2 methods choosable, S3 dxt and nvidia dxt.

Some files in the game rever one of those formats.

Not all use the same.

I did both with the same filesize and so on into the game.

For this r4 d 01 file it is the S3 dxt format.

When i took the nvidia dxt format, it looked not like it should,

but there was a change visible, so that is not the problem we had.

The problem is the fileprotection in windows.

Sometimes if you copy a commonworld.bnk into the game, the file gets writeprotected,

and i f you then try to put another 2db file into it,

modding tools says it is saved, but in reality it is not.

Then ingame of course it shows the previous 2db file, wich doesn't neccessarily have to be an original one.

This also happens with a modded commonworld.bnk .

You only THINK the files come back like ghosts, but the truth is, they where never gone.

The photoshop dds plugin uses nvidia dxt fileformat, just to let you know.

In dds converter 2 with nvidia dxt it is a bit easier, because you can select the mipmapcount,

and the resulting dds got the amount of selected mipmaps.

If you convert with S3, it always has 10 mipmaps,

so you have to convert it to 2db with 1.16 modding tools's force mipmapcount function 2mipmaps more than wanted,

because the resulting file then has 2 less then selected. Extract the resulting 2db to dds again.

Then you have to convert the dds file to 2db again with 1.10 modding tools's keep filesize function,

to have the 2db with the original size.

This you can put into the commonworld.bnk then,

but it won't work, if you don't deactivate the writeprotection ;-) .

For Vista and 7 users, you may have to change your TDU folder and subfolder's rights to 'Full access' for 'User'

and to remove 'ReadOnly' tag on TDU folder and subfolders,

otherwise your windows doesn't allow modding tools to change one single pixel.

My thread is open and free to everybody, you know

Come and stay anytime you'd like.

mipmap size, nvidia dxt, S3 dxt .. Without knowing those things I'm making my mods,

If the mod file gets somewhat affects by which format of them I selects ...... interesting ... Maybe I give it a try on DDS converter thing.

I was only caring about dxt-1 or dxt-5

thnx for info

I am using DXTBMP for converting bmp to dds but this may be causing to arouse something to stop putting a file to un-previleged place on other players PCs for some reason.

It could be the right time for me to change a train(tool) at this present station but the mod works fine on my PC.

Can I ask one thing? ... My mod works out on your PC?

(Don't forget to back up)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure it works.

But i don't use it, not only because of i want to keep my roads,

but also, allthough it is looking good in areas with trees,

i don't want to have those shadows on the road where there is no tree at all.

But the idea to use the gloss texture for that, is really smart.