We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Crew runs at native 1080p/30fps on PS4 and Xbox One - "PC won't differ too much"

Eudemon

Julian Gerighty has confirmed to VideoGamer.com that the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game will run at native 1080p/30fps and that the PC "won't differ too much" as they are aiming for "parity" across the versions. Clearly with the power difference between all platforms each should be able to show it's strength but if they are looking to hold back the others to please the lowest common denominator (Xbox One) then that just seems a really dangerous slope to travel down.

The PC version won't differ too much from the console versions, either, he says, adding that Ivory Tower is "really trying to get parity across all versions, so it's something that's important to us not to branch out and not do individual things for individual platforms."

What do you think about this?

Source: The Crew runs at native 1080p/30fps on both PS4 Xbox One - The Crew for PS4 News

HOWEVER...

According to destructoid the PS4 may have anti-aliasing compared to the Xbox One.

However, one thing PlayStation 4 owners might be happy about is that reportedly, anti-aliasing will be used in that version of the game, making for a possibly prettier and smoother version over the Xbox One.

The 30/60 isn't an issue for myself either, plenty of really good racing games (Forza Horizon, TDU, PGR3/4) have been 30fps and haven't caused me to cry or my eyes to bleed so it's not a thing for me and I don't get the full-on hostility some people evoke when this number comes up. However the "parity" issue does concern me.

am I the only one who thinks games look better with 30 fps?

it's more cinematic because it's closer to 24fps which is the industry standard

It depends, 30fps games usually have nice looking visuals and effects but it can't be denied that 60fps does move smoother, however if 30fps games have a good motion blur and other effects it can negate that as when your eyes are looking at the screen you'll hardly ever notice a slight judder on that sponsor banner you just went under. That's not to say that there may well be people who are sensitive to a lower framerate but you would think they would be in quite a minority.

I know that whenever TDU1 on PC dropped below 37 FPS I crashed into things (trees, traffic, etc) considerably more. I also know that when racing games have been over 60 FPS I've been able to nail apexes and drive very confidently and consistently. So yeah it's kind of a big deal to me, and disappointing to see that they won't optimise the game on PC. Of course when they say 'PC' there's no way for us to know what specs they're talking about.

The funny thing is that in another game, optimisations being made for the PS4 version are increasing performance on the PC (64bit) version.

*orders 3 nVidia Titans*

• 1 month later...
The PC version won't differ too much from the console versions, either, he says, adding that Ivory Tower is "really trying to get parity across all versions, so it's something that's important to us not to branch out and not do individual things for individual platforms."

Just found out about this game (from a person welcoming me to this forum) and I have to say that this just disappoints me so much. As a person who has converted from 15+ years of console gaming to switching to PC gaming over the past 3 or so years, I can safely say that I am very disappointed with almost all games that are being released for PC lately. I find more old games that work better on PC than new games which are (or at least damn well should be) designed for the sort of hardware I run on.

The thing that bugs me most is any game with a 30 FPS cap. If I'm on PC, I want to be able to see as many frames as my PC can produce. Anything above 50 and I'm happy. Below that and I really notice it. I haven't played any of the recent NFS games (mainly, though not entirely) for this exact reason. I see that some NFS devs are working on this game and so I'm going to be VERY annoyed if they enforce a 30 FPS cap.

Apart from that rather angry outburst, this game looks freakin' awesome! Haha!

Don't worry about that it was a comment that was taken wrongly and something was lost in translation, the PC will not be be capped as our man Dan found out when he played the game at Ivory Tower itself last month. :)

BTW you should check out the thread with the videos from Gamersyde to see this game properly in action. :D