We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU 1 doesn't work on Windows 8?

patrikje

I just took TDU1 off the shelf and decided to give it a go, but it doesn't work on my new laptop. Has anyone got it to work on Windows 8? At first the game did start, but froze after finishing the intro videos. But now I constantly get the message that my OS isn't compatible. I have Windows 8 pro, 64 bit. I already tried it in compatible mode.

I was hoping there is some quick fix, but I can't find any people who tried TDU 1 on Windows 8.

I've never installed the game from scratch on Windows 8 but I have played it plenty of times with no problems (files remaining on a different HDD from a previous installation on Win7).

Post up your PC specs, try a different version of graphics drivers and go from there.

The other thing worth mentioning is that I don't install games into the protected \Program Files\ directory. They're all in C:\Games\ instead.

I've heard other people complaining about various other games that aren't compatible with 8 so it's certainly possible that it just doesn't work. What compatibility modes did you try it in?

A quick search came up with this video (though I do not know if it's legitimate or not, try it at your own risk): Test Drive Unlimited - Windows 8 x64 - YouTube. Some seem to say that it works, and some that it doesn't. Can't see what you got to lose in trying it though considering you can't play online anymore anyway.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I have Windows 8.1 32-bit and TDU works fine.

Processor: Intel E8600 core2duo 4GHz, 4 GB ram DDR2, video card Radeon R9 290X Matrix Platinum.

Wheel is an old Logitech Momo.

I must be one of the few who really want to play this on Windows 8.1 right now. I bought a used copy off eBay and it won't work on my PC (it has no DVD drive so I made an ISO from the original disc).

At first it says 'wrong disc inserted' so I tried YASU and now it says about not being compatible so I do not know what to do?

I tried what was in the YouTube video and it did not work for me.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat, however I do have an external USB disk drive.

I've been trying to run the installer, and as soon as I choose my directory and it plays the music, the installer just sits. I've tried compatibility mode and everything. Running Windows 8.1 Pro.