We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Top Gear has played The Crew

Andreas¹

image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2fuk%2fassets%2fcms%2f1d6ee266-9ba7-4c9b-b790-992965d56ccf%2fLarge+Image+3.jpg%3fp%3d140925_05%3a00&Width=615&Height=347

Here's their conclusion:

It’s strange. A glance at my notes shows mostly grumpy scribblings about the game’s failings and my failures to navigate it, but what I did take away from the play session was that The Crew is, big picture, a superbly well-put-together, ambitious and mostly fun racing game. There’s time to fix it. They almost certainly will.

Apparently the handling got them slightly grumpy. I've never felt it but I'm not too worried.

image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2fuk%2fassets%2fcms%2f1d6ee266-9ba7-4c9b-b790-992965d56ccf%2fLarge+Image+5.jpg%3fp%3d140925_05%3a00&Width=615&Height=347

Full text here: First play: The Crew - BBC Top Gear

Thanks Top Gear! :hi:

Haha that was a fun read as you would expect from Top Gear but their finding the handling being a bit off and comparing it to Horizon which let's be honest is a really good fit between arcade and sim is worrying.

The Crew hasn’t quite found this yet. All the races: street, circuit, off road, all had the feel of butter-slicked surfaces of slightly differing feedback. Off road? An inch more butter. Circuit races, an inch less. The upgrading parts element to make a difference seemed totally lost.

Thinking this was just a physics issue, we took a Koenigsegg off road and rightly, rumbled along at walking pace, with handling as instinctive as a Tesco trolley hoiked out of a canal. So the depth is there. The physics work. That sweet spot just has not yet been found.

Handling in racing games is, of course, notoriously tricky and subjective. One man’s over-greased anaconda can be another man’s dead-eyed sweet spot. But thinking maybe it was just my James May-level of skill, I went home to play a review copy of Forza Horizon 2 and it’s there. Handling perfected by years of the developer Turn 10’s experience and brilliance. They’ve nailed it. The Crew hasn’t. Yet.

I wouldn't take anything away from what TG staff think of game handling - don't really know who in their production office is playing and what their history is. The Crew is a game I wouldn't mind waiting just a little longer for if that means I can play the whole thing with awesome handling.... although I suspect I will have to grind for cash and upgrades to keep up with others.

Seen JC play GT4... shame they never did a TDU1 v real life O'ahu type thing.

The Crew hasn’t quite found this yet. All the races: street, circuit, off road, all had the feel of butter-slicked surfaces of slightly differing feedback. Off road? An inch more butter. Circuit races, an inch less. The upgrading parts element to make a difference seemed totally lost.

Well at least they listened to all of us who said it was too grippy last time :lol:

Any word if a PC beta runs alongside the console beta?

Isnt the question remaing what TG is expecting of a video game? I kind of presume they except to see a kind of simulation? I mean what else did they play befor? I can only rember GT from Playstation and Forza From XBox, and I'm told that both of this games are much more like Sim's then what TC is going to be.

Anyhow I was very pleased with the car handling, I think its a very wonderful mix between some sim, and some arcade. Its challenging yet fun. Then again this may variated alot depending on what controls you use? In my case it was a proper racing wheel.

Also I have played Forza Horizon 2, and when I compared them with The Crew like TopGears do, I would say from my own experince that Forza Horizon has a worser handling.

Worser in to much simulation, and to little fun. The Crew made alot more fun rigth from the first bend. So if TopGears Winner is Forza Horizion, mine is The Crew and I hope they dont become egg like egg failar in handling... its nice to have a bit diffrence.