We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ubisoft expecting The Crew to sell 2 million [GI.biz]

Eudemon

In a conference call after today's financial report for the first-half of FY15 Ubisoft revealed that they expect The Crew to sell 2 million units. What do think of this? Considering not long ago they said they expected 2.5m even before the Xbox 360 version was officially announced and have now reduced this figure by 20%, do you think they see some writing on the wall or have the pre-orders been much lower than anticipated?

In a post-earnings conference call, Ubisoft executives took questions from investors and revealed a few details about their sales expectations for their upcoming slate of games. The Crew is expected to sell around 2 million units, while Far Cry 4 is projected to move more than 6 million copies in its first year.

It's amazing how so many racing games fail because players cannot stand their handling, the fundamental aspect of any racing game is how it drives and the control it gives the player, mess that up and you deserve to crash and burn frankly. Hopefully this will not be the case with The Crew but hey we've seen it happen before and no doubt it will happen again.

Sauce: GI.biz

I've seen a lot of mixed opinions of the crew, and as much as I was looking forward to the game I was actually pretty skeptical my first half hour or so spent playing the game in the first PC beta. But after I got used to the car handling I didn't find it bad at all. I've certainly played arcade racers that drove better, but I'm not sure I've enjoyed the gameplay of any other racer as much as I have the crew. It's not perfect (though I'm sure the handling/car physics will be more improved in the full release of the game) but I think they did a pretty good job of finding a good balance between arcade and simulation, and I think they nailed the handling for off road racing. Yeah it certainly doesn't look as graphically impressive as say NFS Rivals, but that game didn't have enough depth or content to last more than a dozen hours or so. I think that's where the crew has the ability to stand on it's own two feet, by providing you with a lot of content that is as enjoyable to play though as it is varied. I'm really hoping Ubisoft let's Ivory Tower do everything they want to as far as post release content goes, haven't seen Ubisoft handle anything this close to an MMO before.

Anyways that response ended up being way longer than I thought it would be. I know I'd like to see the game do well, and I'm hoping that once people get their hands on the full completed game that it starts to gain a more positive reputation.

ducking far cry for 6 million, really?

It always makes me sad seeing average games getting so much popularity just because of the brand effect. Same goes for AC, Cod etc . They absolutely do not make up for their price tag. A game like the crew however you can put a good 100-150 hours of entertainment solely doing different things.

I'd suggest it's gone down because of all the other games coming out. The kiddies can only afford to purchase so many games in a given time.

The problem with comparing TC to TDU1 is that we now have a lot more stuff (gaming or otherwise) to hold our attention, so I can't see myself playing TC quite as much. Even during the beta I struggled to get in the mood (but that was partly down to the handling).

2m will still deliver a good profit (depending on original budget spend). I'm hoping a certain other game sells at least 3m.

I would like to see what the prime example is for great car handling. I always hear people saying so but without pointers.

Form TopGear I know they compare it to Forza and clame Forza is way better on the handling. But Forza is more of a Sim then a Acarde... I think they dont get the point.

To me I played Forza Horizon 2 and TC (in my oppinion the games coming most close to each other) And I felt dull in Forza, I also did not really like the car handling in Forza. It felt dull, dull like a Sim but without the Sim experince you get from GTR series (Simbin). Maybe because of the stupid gamepad... those give 0 responce for a car handling in my oppinion, its to far appstracted from the reality.

Anyhow sales lowering. I think that mostly due press release poker. This sales numbers do nothing for anyone but the higher managements of publisher companys, that make desitions on what will be done and what not. I personally see no need to fear. TC will be the best racing game out there this december for my platform and my own taste.

And Ivory Tower seem to be allowed to the things they consider best for there vison/game. I mean where else you see delays as TC had just in favor for the developer polishing things up... Usually you get this unfinished thing out of the door for quick sales thing this days.

Also sorry for writing to much