We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Rate The Crew's handling - what mode did you use and how did you find it?

Eudemon

Rate the handling of The Crew  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the handling of The Crew

• Pad with Full Assist | I disliked it
    • Pad with Full Assist | It was OK
    • Pad with Full Assist | I liked it!
    • Pad with Sport | I disliked it
    • Pad with Sport | It was OK
    • Pad with Sport | I liked it!
    • Pad with Hardcore | I disliked it
    • Pad with Hardcore | It was OK
    • Pad with Hardcore | I liked it
    • Wheel User with Sport | I disliked it
    • Wheel User with Sport | It was OK
    • Wheel User with Sport | I liked it
    • Wheel User with Hardcore | I disliked it
    • Wheel User with Hardcore | It was OK
    • Wheel User with Hardcore | I liked it

Alright we've had two betas on each platform and so participants should have a good idea of how the handling felt for them and if it makes the game a purchase in their eyes. Now I know this team of developers is made up of a large number of TDUteam but I don't want people to only compare to TDU as like it or not TDU had its severe faults too. It did get a lot of things right and if TDU2 showed as anything it was that if the driving is completely awful in your racing game then people are going to slate it, avoid at all costs and for damn sure make others know about it.

So come on lets get the voice of you muppets.

- Poll coming shortly -

I hadn't played the first console beta so I'm not sure how much improved it was from the PC betas, but in the second console beta I was actually pretty impressed with the handling. I felt like whatever weird unpredictability that was present in the PC betas had been removed leaving it feel much more refined. As I've said before on here I feel like Ivory Tower have done a great job at finding a happy medium between simulation and arcade. As someone who is typically playing games on the more hardcore side of the spectrum, I didn't think they would come up with a driving model I would enjoy so much. My only gripe is that I hardly noticed any change at all in the feel of full assist, sport, or hardcore but I stuck with hardcore and was happy with it.

In the PS4 beta I got to play with a couple friends who weren't quite as into cars or racing games as I am, but we all still had loads of fun playing the game, so in that sense I think the handling as it is now offers both accessibility and enough of a pseudo-realistic feel to attract people like me and the more casual audience. I'm sure there will be some, but I can't imagine too many people complaining about it at launch. I think for the most part people will be pleased with the handling.

PC BETA #1 + #2 - Steering wheel / Hardcore mode:

Given the lack of vehicles we got to try it's too early to be definitive. I just felt too disconnected from the car.

Driver aids forced on - couldn't do a burnout (besides the fake one it does) and lose traction/spin out in Street spec.

Driving the Camaro and Challenger in town was a massive chore - too much grip in Street spec.

Driving on snowy roads was better, but this is how the car should handle on normal roads, and it should be much harder on icy roads.

imo you should really only have high grip in Circuit spec.

Wheel options/settings are a pain to tweak. It should calculate things like Linearity automatically by getting you to hold the wheel at 90 degrees.

Offroading in other specs was pretty good.

Darin from ISR was able to play the console betas with a wheel and was fairly happy with it though, so maybe there was some improvement.

Having a 'hardcore' mode is half the battle won, we just need it to be more hardcore. I suspect the problem in making the Street spec on-road stuff better is that offroad/raid stuff becomes near-impossible. Personally I don't mind if that makes us non-competitive with Sports players, just so long as we can enjoy cruising together.

yeah basically what ryzza have said, the physics feel very artificial I mean I like a good arcade physics engine but this one is just plain weird. I've played the 2nd beta with the wheel that was OK needed some improvements in terms of FFB and overall support, played the 3rd beta on gamepad it was just awful. Let me clarify one thing why we keep going on and on about TDU's driving feel here. It offered 2 modes (not aids) one for more hardcore drivers and one for more casual ones. I mean you can't go wrong with that. I don't know why driving games keep going on about this mixed type of arcade and sim physics. You just end up with a mess most of the time.

So I played the console beta and my initial thoughts were I hate it, cars wouldn't correct so easily making high speeds difficult however switching to sport mode and using the vw and the skyline the handling wasn't so bad making the beta more enjoyable, they would handle fine and well it was okay :D

Played the first XB1 beta, voted pad w/ hardcore mode, didn't like it. I just couldn't get a feeling for it, no matter how I adjusted the pad settings. The first beta on PC though, I played that one with a wheel and really enjoyed it. I'm just hoping that they can get the same feeling through to the pad users :hmmm:

Well can't really say which driving aid level I stuck to as I would keep switching from one to another during the second PC closed beta. I mostly used my wheel and, while the handling could have been a lot better, it was far from the worst (certainly felt better than one game-which-must-not-be-mentioned O.o). I'm not a person who concerns himself too much with the physics and I tend to focus more on the exploration aspects of driving games. Give me a large, open map to play around in, a decent cockpit view and a respectable variety of cars that don't handle like total crap, and I'll be happy.

A little surprised at some of the responses on here. I absolutely agree that the car physics in the game feel very artificial, but at least for me it doesn't limit my enjoyment of the game. I've had no difficulty getting any of the cars I've tried to do what I want on the road. On that note I did manage to get my hands on the 1967 Shelby GT500 before the last beta ended, and I was very impressed with the way it handled. It wasn't at all realistic, but the way you could throw it into corners and drift out of them in the typical sort of video game American muscle way was very fun to me. I just didn't like the stupid little spoiler the game forced me to have on it in street spec.

Anyways I voted "Pad with Hardcore | I liked it" and my vote seems to have disappeared, I suspect sabotage.

Would love to try the game with a wheel though, been wanting one of those Fanatec Porsche GT2 or GT3 wheels for ages now.

Last I played was the second PC beta with a 360 pad, and it was definitely a step backwards from the first beta. The handling was a little floaty in the first one, but it was pretty good otherwise, the second one was way too twitchy and darty from what I recall. Not sure how it was on the console beta though..

Weird just checked the CP and Psykov did vote as he said but it's not showing?

*gets into detective mode*

Changed the count on the 'Pad: Hardcore | I liked it' to 1 and now his vote shows.

Weird, when I voted there was only one other vote, so maybe things hadn't quite "initialized" yet. I thought maybe I never hit submit too but there was no option for me to vote today.

Maybe I'm just trying to inflate the positive votes on here to make the game look better mwahahahaha.

Learn to read, foo :mrt:

...and spell

Vote fixed

You added his vote to 'Pad with Sport: I disliked' it you muppet!

Anyway MrBenz I manually via a database edit (nothing exploded I think) added your vote to the correct option.

Weird, when I voted there was only one other vote, so maybe things hadn't quite "initialized" yet. I thought maybe I never hit submit too but there was no option for me to vote today.
Question: Did you make your post first then vote? Just wondering if the AJAX posting/reload of the thread caused the poll to hiccup as can happen.

Question: Did you make your post first then vote? Just wondering if the AJAX posting/reload of the thread caused the poll to hiccup as can happen.

Pretty sure I voted then posted. Maybe when Mercedes-Benz's vote was switched mine disappeared with his. Mercedes are known for electrical issues after all. :D

Driving a car is not hard. Driving a car fast is not hard. Driving a car in The Crew is not hard. But driving at the absolute limit does require advanced car control skills and should be challenging, as this is what creates *intrinsic* fun for me, that is, you enjoy driving for the sake of driving (and exploring). If it's otherwise just ho-hum then there's little point to playing beyond Level 50.

• 3 weeks later...