We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Crew - about microtransactions, Season Pass benefits & DLC in the game

Eudemon

[headline]The Crew: Microtransactions, Season Pass extras & DLC[/headline]

I know there is confusion and even some anger still spilling out in regards to microtransactions in The Crew so I reached out with some general questions that I have seen asked by people and got clarification on what exactly the deal is with them in the game.

Note: 'bought' , 'buy' and 'buying' mean via the use of real money purchases

[subhead]Question: Can Parts be bought and if so can they be immediately equipped?[/subhead]

Answer: Parts can be bought, but they still have to be unlocked through gameplay and the required level to use them has to be reached.

[subhead]Question: Is it true that you can only buy the 'Full Stock' version of cars and not the other specifications? (Street, Performance, Dirt, Circuit and Raid)[/subhead]

Answer: Yes only the Full Stock version of the cars can be bought.

[subhead]Question: Can 'Fast Travel' be bought to enable the travelling to undiscovered locations without the need to drive to them?[/subhead]

Answer: No, Fast Travel needs to be discovered.

[subhead]Question: When buying any DLC car/pack do I still need to purchase the car with in-game currency?[/subhead]

Answer: No, the Full Stock version of the car(s) purchased will not need to be 'unlocked' for use in-game.

Thanks to natchai of Ubisoft for answering these.

Original tweets for context

[media=twitter]535388227214266369[/media]

[media=twitter]535388447788511232[/media]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clearing this up as this can sometimes be confusing. :) Besides, I'm surprised by the last answer:

I know that lot of people will be pleased with the fact that DLC cars are directly unlocked so they can play directly, but I don't... (nagger mode ON :happyroll: )

For me, unlocking cars is part of the fun and giving it free is a bit like crippling the game... The rush that comes that push you to work your way to get the new content gives a real pleasure when you unlock it. In addition, you'll get bored quicker when you are directly granted access to everything at the same time and without any effort...this is like a cheat code... not everybody like to use them

There aren't many cars in game... so if lots of them aren't worth a challenge to get them, that's less game... (3 preorders+viper+DLC cars...)... I know lot of players complaint having to buy with ingame cash a car/DLC they bought with IRL money, and I respect this point, but i wish devs just gave the choice to the players :cry: A simple way is to do like I saw with the "accelerator pack" in Forza Horizon collector box. It was on a separate code... I never used it... so DLC could go with 2 codes :1 for the content and another to unlock it and everybody is happy... :nuts:

EDIT: just to put some water in my wine: there are still the kits to buy (i suppose), and so many thing to do after having unlocking the car... I know, but well my point stand not only for The Crew, but for the fact that many bonuses/dlc/preorder stuff tend to ruin gaming experience by giving to much powerful stuff/free access to "compensate" with the money invested by DLC buyers...

Yes in part it's about that: DLC/collector that makes you rush the start and ruins it... like giving a super sword in a RPG at a level 1 player and too much cash etc...

But as I'm a little bit extremist, I add also that I'd prefer that also those DLC had more challenge and not just unlock the car and go, even in later progression in the game...

I don't mean they should be as hard to buy as will probably be the laFerrari, but you know, I'd mind to have to make a couple of races to unlock a DLC car, or to have enough money to buy them... a happy medium then...

It's just a matter of "not to receive everything at the same time without effort"... nothing in life is that good if you always get what you want fast...

So the whole performance parts thing is still just a little bit vague to me - here's what I'm thinking:

If you complete a Mission, Skill , or otherwise Level Up, you get rewarded with a performance part. I assume that this process:

1) Can be equipped to your current car immediately for free, or sent to HQ to be applied to one other car for free later, and

2) Unlocks that part for other cars, but requires in-game purchase (Bucks).

So if you have to wait to unlock a performance part when buying it as a micro-transaction (real life money), I personally don't really see the point.

Unless say you spend all your in-game money on a super-expensive Lamborghini when you unlock it, and have no money left to tune it to beat others online (assuming the relevant performance parts are unlocked but too expensive). Which I fear is a possibility. It just better not be priced so high to force grinding for months or micro-transaction to the same level as 'free to play' games like Race Room Experience or Auto Club Revolution.

That said, by the time I reach supercar levels I'll probably be happy to just get the missions out of the way then just use them for cruising, assuming they have enjoyable handling.

"1) parts can be bought using CC, but you still need to meet level requirements and have them unlocked through gameplay."

Maybe he's just referring to cosmetic parts when he says this?

The producer said specifically in a french video in the past that performance parts can't be bought. Which would make sense since when you unlock them you can equip them right away without spending bucks.

I'll have some serious buyer's remorse if performance parts are available through micro-t's and this game is like world of tanks with a huge grind to get the goodies. Such is life I guess.

Which would make sense since when you unlock them you can equip them right away without spending bucks.

when you unlock them you can equip them right away without spending bucks and can buy this part for another car with CC(or bucks).

You still have to get to Level 40 to use "xyz super awesome performance part" after buying it with crew credits.

no. you must unlock this super awesome performance part before you can buy it with CC

I just remembered that during the PC betas I noticed something else that still puzzles me

I saw that it was possible to buy perks (the stuff you win each time you pass a level) with CC

1417187893-thecrew-2014-07-25-14-48-42-17-1.png

I suppose it's not pay to win either so how does it works?

Is there a cap limit? 50 levels means 49 perks (you start already at level 1)

Does that mean that using microtransaction and/or the bonus perk (*), you'll hit the cap faster than the others but you will still be blocked with 49 points of perks, or is there no limit cap, and then some people will have more perks that the others at the max level 50 ?

(*)- bonus perk is a perk that grant you a chance to win more perks points each level (dont remember the real in game name)

This. There are 43 perks that affects car performance. And you always can respect you build.

Ah ok thanks.

Then it's good strategy to rush directly to max out the bonus perk as soon as possible to get more in the end at max level. Hopefully you can always reset your perks afterwards :)

For the whales. :oook:

I find it funny how people berate this game for this as I have a couple of mates who work nightshift, have kids and have little time to play so dropping a small amount so they can get some better enjoyment out of their games I don't mind. What I do mind is when a game has been catered to make this a case for everyone, playing the game normally should result in decent payouts and progress, but if someone else wants to pay for 'convenience' or to 'pass the time' rather than to 'win' then I am ok with that, though I know others will be deftly against any of it.

This isn't just a little money though, and unless you take 2 weeks off life to grind you're not going to be able to afford more than a couple of high-end cars the old fashioned way. Actually, even with 2 weeks off I don't think you'd have earned 2mil to blow on a small selection of supercars.

Herein lies the question though - should you be able to grab the best and most expensive car within a few days of play? Too many games throw them at you and this in turn means many of the other vehicles get ignored or unused. Now I understand that not everyone can play a game for a great length of time to gain access to these hence why I am saying I am ok with these sort of pay for convenience aspects if these people wish to use them. A common complaint from actual players is that games are too short, but when a game makes you work for the good stuff it is then seen as grinding or trying to push you to buy the premium bypass items. True that today it is actually a blend of both but when many play a game and want it to last a good while and want a reason to keep on playing, they don't want to feel like they have to grind to get there and this is on the designers and producers to keep the games flow of progression going without giving that impression. I can understand though the player who has little time to play properly through and so spends some money on bypassing hours of normal playtime to reach that point to keep-up with the normal players. So maybe it's more pay to catch rather than pay to win. :oook:

When a player completes the main story then sure they should have a good chunk of change and be able to buy at least one of the BIG items on offer or be provided it as a reward for doing so. However when that same game has multiples to offer to keep on playing and to engage with other players then it's only right that the spoils should go to those who do this as what reason is there for continuing with the game after beating it if everything is given to you?

On the other hand if we take Midnight Club: Los Angeles and the way they gave everything to you for free for reaching a certain amount of money then sure there is an argument for going that route too.

In conclusion I guess I just don't have a clue.