We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

[headline]The Crew - Controller & Wheel Settings[/headline]

Be you a casual, arcade or more simulation type of racer, everyone likes their handling a certain way, so let's get a collection from you guys of the settings that work best for you, on your platform, with your device and see if we can help others who may be after an experience that is more akin to your own. Post yours with a brief sentence about what it allows and also any games it may resemble to help others identify easier what might suit them.

[subhead]Hardcore Mode[/subhead]

PS4 - Mellors

A good setup for those who like their handling with weight and the chance to pull off some nice powerslides.

thecrew-hardcore-ps4-settings-mellors.jpg

The idea is that you copy the example text from that thread into the new file, test, and then tweak parameter values one at a time.

<ExtraConfig
FFB_Factor="1.5f"
FFB_LoadFactor="1.0f"
FFB_LoadPower="1.5f"
FFB_LatFactor="1.0f"
FFB_SlipAngleFactor="2.0f"
FFB_CamberFactor="0.1f"
FFB_CamberOffset="2.5f"
FFB_DamperFactor="0.2f"
FFB_DamperMaxRoll="1.0f"
FFB_DamperMaxRollVal="0.1f"
FFB_DamperMaxSlipAngle="0.25f"
FFB_WaitRate="1"
FFB_SpringNoControl="0.25f"
/>

Dev suggested tweaks for High Torque (i.e. expensive Fanatec / Thrustmaster) wheels to reduce FFB on bumpy surfaces:

<ExtraConfig
FFB_Factor="1.5f"
FFB_LoadFactor="1.0f"
FFB_LoadPower="1.0f"
FFB_CamberFactor="0.1f"
FFB_CamberOffset="0.5f"
FFB_LatFactor="2.0f"
FFB_DamperFactor="0.2f"
FFB_DamperMaxRoll="1.0f"
FFB_WaitRate="5"
/>

yeah I've tried the high torque text because mine was going crazy off road too but it didn't seem to do anything. Basically I have a file called ExtraConfig.xml in there that contains just this

<ExtraConfig

FFB_Factor="1.5f"

FFB_LoadFactor="1.0f"

FFB_LoadPower="1.0f"

FFB_CamberFactor="0.1f"

FFB_CamberOffset="0.5f"

FFB_LatFactor="2.0f"

FFB_DamperFactor="0.2f"

FFB_DamperMaxRoll="1.0f"

FFB_WaitRate="5"

/>

not sure if it's the right way to do

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I decided to have a fiddle with the wheel settings yesterday. I was already pretty happy with what I had but thought I would attempt to apply some grey matter to the subject to make it a little more sim-ish. Take note of your existing settings in case you want to revert to them.

Key settings:

Speed sensitive steering - turn this off (left side). It's an aid designed for keyboard/gamepad players

Steering sensitivity - turn this to 100% (all the way right).

Steering linearity - where you place this setting depends on how you set your wheel rotation. Center it at 50% if you're following this guide.

Force feedback, in game: max, Fanatec profile: 70% (may differ on your wheel)

Wheel rotation - 900 degrees.

This provides the most 'natural' steering input without it being manipulated by the game, however handling big slides, bumpy surfaces, and 3 point turns may require extended wheel work and practice. It's a case of being set up for fun vs being set up to be as fast as possible. I only had small issues recovering from pit maneuvers on dirt roads, which as you might expect is somewhat realistic.

My previous more arcade setup mimicked my TDU1 wheel settings. As you adjust one setting, you need to slightly tweak the others to retain balance.

Speed sensitive steering: up slightly to ~20%

Steering sensitivity: down slightly to ~75%

Steering linearity: down slightly to ~40%

In game force feedback: down slightly to ~80%

Wheel rotation: between 540 to 680 degrees. Go lower for more snappy instant (arcade) steering (useful in cities) or higher for more precise and relaxed cruising B road steering. Or just set it and forget it at 600 degrees and call it a day. All of my YouTube footage up until now has been with these settings.

Also spend some time playing with the pedal sensitivity curves. You generally want to leave the accelerator as a normal linear curve, but you may want to play with the brake curve for better modulation you want to brake as late and quick as possible for corners but not come to a big stop either.

Playing with the clutch settings may help reduce how often you get the grinding sound. It seems that you have get the clutch input to maximum before you push the gear stick into neutral.

Finally, here's some footage from physics developer Sebastian:

• 2 weeks later...

2065640345.jpg

PC -

A setting that offers good stability, particularly in drifting and at high speeds. Fishtailing is very much reduced but so is some cornering ability. Works best on wheels with limited rotation like my poor nice Logitech Momo Racing Force (240 degrees). Low steering linearity settings are often likened to that of Forza's handling model. I haven't played any Forza game myself so I wouldn't know :cheeky:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I was so disapointed by this game from the beginning (too much arcade, too childish) that I totally forgot it. But recently, I gave it another try and then I noticed the drift mode. I found it so cool that I bought the DLC just to enjoy cruising with it. It is quite close to H MODE from TDU 1 (not as good though) and it's not far from a simulation sometimes, especially if you use a good wheel with a tuned FFB. But nobody seems to realize and almost no one use it. What do you think?

I have the DLC and remember trying the drift spec Ferrari once and thought it was quite awful at the time.

Well if you play with a pad or a cheap wheel with 160° I can believe that. But with a good wheel and something like 600° it's not bad really, even if there's still too much grip and brakes to my taste.

the physics were sort of bearable in dirt/drift specs but I didn't like the fact that you couldn't keep the visuals stock. You just know this game is made for gamepads and they've just spent 5 mins testing on each wheel to make sure they work.

For cruising, I found that drift mod with gamepad makes it very difficult to keep a straight line and avoid collisions. But with a wheel it's ok, you can adjust the throttle with precision, the direction is accurate and the tuned FFB feels quite realistic. It's like the drift mode was made for wheels.

I don't see what you mean about the visuals as you can change the parts of the drift mode cars to make them look stock.

For my part it's just cosmetic so it doesn't matter, especially when you drive in first person view.