We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

No Xbox360 Controller Support

Yasashii

The Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia I had ordered was delivered today and I was excited to finally play some driving games properly as my previous wheel broke down a while ago.

My favorite driving game, for the reason of being a fan of Top Gear UK, is Test Drive Unlimited. The very last thing I expected to be problematic about the wheel is the compatibility as it was claimed that it has full Xbox360 and PC support. Turns out that the xbox compatibility is creating a PC compatibility problem.

When I go to the control settings menu in the game and I attempt to assign anything to the wheel absolutely nothing happens. The game appears not to even acknowledge that a controller is present. I read about the problem and it turns out Test Drive Unlimited is notorious for having compatibility problems with some xbox-compatible controllers. The reason for that, I figure, is that those devices generate Xinput rather than DirectInput, which is what a standard controller generates.

I tried, then, to convert one into the other with the use of the x360ce emulator, which is, as far as I can figure out, supposed to do just that. I put the executable in the game folder, I run it as administrator, I click ok to the two question boxes that ask for permission to make a file, and then the program opens up and... immediately crashes completely. Tried two different versions, same result.

I also tried the Pinnacle Game Profiler and Xpadder. These programs just take the input of your controller and assign it to a key of your keyboard so that for example when in-game the throttle is assigned to "w", I can still use my controller to... control it. However, while it works lovely for all the buttons, it does not recreate the analogue axes of the wheel and the pedals and so those act like digital buttons (either full or nothing), which defeats the purpose of having a wheel in the first place.

In addition to that, I installed the Microsoft Xbox360 accessories driver, and then also the XBCD driver, but they didn't do anything.

I've been tinkering and bodging this thing all day and it's driving me mad as I bought a fairly pricey piece of equipment that turned out to be incompatible with the very game I wanted to play with it the most. Please somebody tell me there's a workaround or a fix. :(

btw. it should be noted that the wheel works just fine with every other game I tested it with so it's not to blame.

Indeed I have.

Also, since you mentioned the XBCD drivers, can you tell me how to make that stuff actually do something? Because I installed it, but when I go to the XBCD Setup utility, there is nothing at all on the "device" list so if I can't pick my wheel, then perhaps the driver can't "see" it.

What am I doing wrong here?

• 3 weeks later...

XBCD requires DSEO and a system earlier than Windows 8.

Don't recommend it, really the wheel should work properly without any interference.

As for TDU not supporting Xbox 360 controllers - utter rubbish. Mine works. And I did have XBCD drivers on, but they dont work properly anyway.