We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BBC Top Gear [It's back!]

Andreas¹

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think it was thattttt bad, 5.5/10. Average, the SIAPC segment was great though. The Ambulance segment was too long, way too long, I think if they'd have cut 1/4-1/3 of the ambulance part and put in a great car review I'd have bumped this episode up a lot.

The first 2 eps of the season, and the special beforehand, were rather good so I can excuse a less car-orientated episode like today as just entertainment.

It seemed a little odd to me how high the production quality was for this cheap car challenge.

Exactly what I was thinking! Normally these episodes are like filler episodes, and they usually don't put so much money into the production of them. It worries me that they have... I want high-quality good episodes like last week's quarry segment, or my all-time favourite - the Ayrton Senna episode.

James made a good case for the Mercedes

Jeremy made a good case for the i8 [spoil](until back to the studio)[/spoil]

Will was entertaining.

Richard's piece was less gripping (not to take anything away from how frightening it must have been), but despite [spoil]me expecting the old LR to still be in pieces[/spoil], I still had a good laugh at it.

It's the second time I've sat and watched it in years, and was surprised to see it's still much better than expected.

To be honest, I was thinking "Oh, a Defender sendoff part? Should be good, maybe giving it a good bit of mud plugging or somthing." Sadly it was't, and although it could have been a good idea and a challenge, it really was't much different from what was done in the advert they did in the advert. Insted of using a winch from the dam to pull it up, they used a winch on the car. Now if it was using the original engine and all it'd have been impressive, but using a second engine just for the winch.

Another thing that bugged me on that, as how in the Ad it was a Defender 90, where;s they used a series 1. Chances are, LR & TG could have teamed up to use a current Defender 90 and attempt it, which would have been great PR for them both! But that's just nit picking that last bit! :lol:

Good episode, had to laugh at the complaint at the start as the rest of last nights 'car based' show turned out really good and basically proved the complaint right. :lol: The use of raw sound was again highly-welcomed in the AMG GT segment, the BMW M3 and i8 piece was great, seeing Jeremy questioning himself in his petrolhead beliefs showed that these carmakers are certainly making great strides with these hybrids, though the after studio section was eye-opening and a number of owners via twitter concurred with his findings. The Land Rover segment was neither here nor there for myself, it was alright but it wasn't brilliant.

With a 'James and Jeremy deliberately crashing into things' episode next week it looks like it's going to be another night to switch the brain off.

Good episode, had to laugh at the complaint at the start as the rest of last nights 'car based' show turned out really good and basically proved the complaint right. :lol: The use of raw sound was again highly-welcomed in the AMG GT segment, the BMW M3 and i8 piece was great, seeing Jeremy questioning himself in his petrolhead beliefs showed that these carmakers are certainly making great strides with these hybrids, though the after studio section was eye-opening and a number of owners via twitter concurred with his findings. The Land Rover segment was neither here nor there for myself, it was alright but it wasn't brilliant.

With a 'James and Jeremy deliberately crashing into things' episode next week it looks like it's going to be another night to switch the brain off.

Can't agree more, don't know why they did the whole Top Gear talking about cars would be boring thing. Maybe I genuinely want to know about the new Passat? (I do, it looks gorgeous)

They actually did road tests for a change, on a road and everything, Richard's challenge was hilarious to watch - but in a genuine way. Overall a great episode, how it used to be and how it should be IMO.

But you can find all this stuff online, why would they put it on a TV show with massive ratings that most people wouldnt care about. Have they ever seriously talked about mainstream cars in the news segment like ever? They've cut that bit out on iplayer anyway :lol: unless that was simply because it was over an hour long.

Anyway I rhiught it was a great episode, loved Richards bit on the Defender, was a great little stunt. Not a clue what they meant at the end about the new one looking exactly the same, surely no one outside LR knows what it'll look like. But never the less, Clarksons bit on the i8 was very interesting, and the bit on the AMG GT made me actually start to like the car...

Ferrari and Mclaren... :fp2: Porsche have balls, they are the only manufacturer who revealed their lap time at the Nürburgring...

And as a French, I was glad they talked about Peugeot like that. I can confirm as an old mechanic: Peugeots, Renaults and some Citroën are utterly rubbish. Idiotic cars. People who managed PSA's Factory care only about money, proof is in January 2012 when they retired from Sports car endurance Series for no good reason. At the time, they just spended 25 Millions Euros for developing their 908 Hybrid4 Diesel race car. The car was ready to compete at Sebring 12 Hours.

I hate Peugeot more than ever. :mad:

Anyway, it was a good Top Gear. Full of true facts. Glad to see the American capable of making cars go round corners.

Decent episode apart from the last segment but the inclusion of the 205 GTi allows that to be excused imo. Not unusual to see Ferrari being up themselves as always and it was quite something to hear of the gymnastics them and McLaren were doing in regards to getting their cars on the track to see what they can do.

That's us 50% of the way through now, TG always seems to speed by even though they are a weekly show!

Last part was funny, and very true, virtually all Peugeots from the noughties are dreadful and I fully agree, although their range now is a lot better which they didnt mention...

I thought the same, both the exterior and interior designs from Peugeots of recent are showing some maturity. I was hoping they'd mention it.

Not to forget that the GTi range has gotten some of it's mojo back.

Not too surprised with them talking of the politics of it all with McLaren/Ferrari. Although McLaren have hinted at twitter its more Ferrari's fault, saying how they had the car set up for it and how it was TG who stopped the test.

I remember back when the 12C came out, Evo did a track test with the 458, 12C and the Noble M600. And both Ferrari & McLaren sent over a full team of technicians while Noble had just the guy who delivered the car. :lol:

I was pissing myself during the Peugeot segment... Peed my knickers again today watching it again.

Just to back up their gloriously generalised claim of Peugeot owners, the only 2 crashes I've ever had, have been while at was at the wheel of Peugeots.

Only realised that last night, which made the whole thing even funnier.

Good show.

I really hope they can get La Ferrari, P1 and 918 on the track for a proper traditional thrash.