We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BBC Top Gear [It's back!]

Andreas¹

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice of Jezza to poke some fun at the pirates with the simulcast. Great to have to air around the world (except France, sorry Mike), at the same time, but just not certain if we'll continue to lose bits and pieces here because of ad breaks. Either way I still plan to end up with a video file of the episodes saved on my NAS for later viewing.

Nice of Jezza to poke some fun at the pirates with the simulcast. Great to have to air around the world (except France, sorry Mike), at the same time, but just not certain if we'll continue to lose bits and pieces here because of ad breaks. Either way I still plan to end up with a video file of the episodes saved on my NAS for later viewing.

This. I don't know if it'll actually air here though. I can't see anything about it in the TV guides though it's still quite early in the week I guess. I'm really excited for this series, looks to be a good'un. :D

I don't see why I should use a spoiler tag, as anyone that looks in here after an episode has been broadcasted....etc

The first episode was good, a solid 7.5/10 maybe 8/10 when you keep in mind just how bad some episodes have been in the recent seasons:

- I liked the challenge, it was entertaining and not too gimmicky, the hovercraft being the gimmick but very entertaining and it's not as if they'd stage that first fall from Richard tbh as it looked rather painful. I guess the point in the electric car was that it shows it can be done quickly in a basic, cheap electric car, I'm sure it'd have been just as fine if not easier with the Mercedes GL from the last challenge but I kind of understand the point.

- I agree about the Huracan Review, it looks as if someone sat on the front, it's been too 'VAG-productified'. That said, I don't actively dislike how it looks and it sounds amazing. But I agree with Richard mostly.

- I like ed sheeran as a person, I don't dislike his music but i wouldnt put it on my phone and it's overplayed on the radio, and I prefer it when TG has guests that LOVEEEEE cars, he's never even driven one, though they addressed this in that live Q&A last sunday by saying they've kind of had every big car fan on more than once, so they're struggling.

- The apology thing was funny in the news bit, very Clarkson. And I understood where he was coming from with the mid-engined supercar GT comment.

Pretty much agree with all that ^

Of course a motorbike would've annihilated all of them in that race. ;)

Clarkson would have annihilated it before it could even start the race.

The episode was okay, certainly better than a few from the past, I feel like they too wanted to take a step up. The challenge was a bit meh, been-there-done-that sort of thing but that can only mean the stuff I'm really looking forward to is still to come. :D

And there will probably be more to come for a few years forward:

Top Gears Jeremy Clarkson to sign new three-year contract despite 2014 controversies - Mirror Online

I'm not yet sure I understand the logic behind simulcasting the series and then region-blocking trailers :lol:

I enjoyed the second episode as it did showcase the 3 cars quite well I thought, which at the end of the day made it quite a good episode. Many people complain about it not being about the cars, but all 3 listing their reasons for which car they'd have and making a decision is much better than someone telling you it has 5 litres more luggage space and 2mm less rear leg space on a youtube video.

Keifer was an odd guest, he seemed like a car-nut but they didn't focus on that as much as i'd have liked.

Still, a more consistent start to a TG series than we've had in ages imo.

Just watched the trailer, oh dear, for those that are feeling quite anti-TG as of the past few years it seems next week's is an episode you can miss. It might be good, but it has every telltale sign of one of those awfully unfunny obviously scripted TG episodes, I still enjoy them but they do annoy me at the same time.

I absolutely loved episode 2. The production, camera work, driving and stunt-driving along with the blasts of raw engine sound and exhaust made for a really enjoyable episode for me. It didn't feel as scripted except for 1 or 2 parts imo but even this was eclipsed by the sheer majesty of the shots -- normal speed and slo-motion -- done by the crew and production team. Many times I said 'WOW' under my breath and listening to the BMW and Bentley snort and grunt and watching "James" driving the GT-R up the makeshift hillclimb course just seriously made me happy that I was watching Top Gear the car programme again.

[spoil]Was I the only one thinking it was a bit unsafe having 2 massive JCB's parked aside one another for the finish line on a gravel track?[/spoil]

And honestly I think the 3 of them loved returning back to this sort of operation too.

The drifting shots in the quarry were absolutely stunning. Watching both stigs/may do their lap was breathtaking, I agree.

As for

the diggers, I completely agree, I did think they were getting a bit close for comfort to one of the two diggers near the end, those diggers aint designed to be a comfortable pad to crash into are they

Wasn't it only the first episode that was simulcast "everywhere"?

What's episode 3 about for those of you who can actually see the trailer? :hmmm:

Well that logic makes even less sense to me, why bother in the first place.

I can't remember what TV show, I think it was game of thrones, did the exact same thing and I was like wth is the point, just the once.

Episode 3 is about them making their own ambulances and messing about in them, though it's one of those trailers where you can tell absolutely everything to do with the outcome of every challenge was written into the script.

I absolutely loved episode 2. The production, camera work, driving and stunt-driving along with the blasts of raw engine sound and exhaust made for a really enjoyable episode for me. It didn't feel as scripted except for 1 or 2 parts imo but even this was eclipsed by the sheer majesty of the shots -- normal speed and slo-motion -- done by the crew and production team. Many times I said 'WOW' under my breath and listening to the BMW and Bentley snort and grunt and watching "James" driving the GT-R up the makeshift hillclimb course just seriously made me happy that I was watching Top Gear the car programme again.

[spoil]Was I the only one thinking it was a bit unsafe having 2 massive JCB's parked aside one another for the finish line on a gravel track?[/spoil]

And honestly I think the 3 of them loved returning back to this sort of operation too.

Completely agree, the hill climb was the best part, and it really was brilliant to watch. That last lap... Wow.

I was actually more impressed by the [spoil]Maloo rally, just because RWD and a light rear end. I assume it was the same Stig for both cars. Some good jokes/gags in there as well. NT is the only place in Australia where the max speed limit is upp'ed from 110kph to 130kph (used to be unlimited).[/spoil]

Of course, that area of Australia is nothing like where we are. It's a bit like thinking England is like Slovenia (distance-wise).

I was actually more impressed by the [spoil]Maloo rally, just because RWD and a light rear end. I assume it was the same Stig for both cars. Some good jokes/gags in there as well. NT is the only place in Australia where the max speed limit is upp'ed from 110kph to 130kph (used to be unlimited).[/spoil]

Of course, that area of Australia is nothing like where we are. It's a bit like thinking England is like Slovenia (distance-wise).

Yeah indeed, that was damn impressive. I want to know who the stig is :lol:

Just watched ep 2, brilliant show. Sure, a bit scripted but I don't care, it felt very Top Gear-ish in a good way. The only thing I didn't like was that they decided to keep SIARPC. :p The news are always funny, keep those instead or just ditch all of it and show more of the road trip instead. Not sure why but it dawned on me while watching how much raw footage they must have that we never get to see.

Just watched ep 2, brilliant show. Sure, a bit scripted but I don't care, it felt very Top Gear-ish in a good way. The only thing I didn't like was that they decided to keep SIARPC. :p The news are always funny, keep those instead or just ditch all of it and show more of the road trip instead. Not sure why but it dawned on me while watching how much raw footage they must have that we never get to see.

Agreed on everything. Watched it in the morning while eating my breakfast. :mcoffee: I actually skipped the SIARPC as almost always. Other than that, it was really good and fun to watch. Better than the South America special, felt less scripted, more about cars and all that stuff TG had been missing previously IMHO. They should air part two.