We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BBC Top Gear [It's back!]

Andreas¹

Richard Porter, hopefully known to a few of you as SniffPetrol on twitter (well worth a follow, rather funny guy and live-tweets F1 and other motor-related things).

He was the script writer for TopGear, well he's now got a book out on the whole fiasco and his 13 years making Topgear.

Here's a podcast with him from an interview on BBC 5 Live discussing his book and everything that's in it: BBC Radio 5 live - Essential Phil Williams, Richard Porter - Top Gear Script Writer

Well worth a listen, talks about the punch-up and the argentina drama. I'd be interesting in buying the book but i've got way too much uni reading to do atm.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

wMJ8F8T.png

"TOPGEAR IN TURMOIL" (Yes, because JC punching a member of the team doesn't count as enough turmoil, picking 2 huge names in the car world IS turmoil however).

The Sun really is the lowest of the low when it comes to journalism, jesus christ.

The two people in question are Chris Harris, who with over 100k twitter followers, is without a doubt, not an 'unknown', and Sabine Schmitz who has appeared on Topgear multiple times and has always been a popular fan-favourite.

I thought Chris Evans came out saying they weren't going to be doing the traditional '3 presenter' format for the new Top Gear, but if these two 'unknowns' are the people they choose to do small segments etc or even if they are a full presenter person then I think it's a promising sign.

With the start date for the new series being given as May 2016, they definitely need to get a move on with filming so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a confirmation of any other hosts very soon so they don't have to hide and can get on with the production side of things.

:hmmm:

Why did they do the whole 'send us a video application' thing then? Wonder if anyone watched any of the videos.

I only know of Chris Harris because hassan(I think) has a man crush on him and used to talk about him all the time. :cheeky:

And Sabine, she's good at the Nurburgring in vans and diesel cars. :hmmm: I'm sure she's very good at her normal racecar driver thingy too though. Was she not also a host on a German car show as well?

I thought Chris Evans came out saying they weren't going to be doing the traditional '3 presenter' format for the new Top Gear, but if these two 'unknowns' are the people they choose to do small segments etc or even if they are a full presenter person then I think it's a promising sign.

There's 4, David Coulthard too apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been getting under my skin for the past few months to the point i've gone and wasted the past 20+ mins compiling this list of the sheer amount of anti-topgear propaganda the Daily Mail is trying to force on its readers. It's complete and utter BS and although yes, things aren't looking amazing, they're so excited and trying their hardest to force this failure and I'm unsure why, as they hate clarkson just as much.

They go in chronological order, first being the oldest (start of december) and last being the most recent.

Is Chris Evans' Top Gear in crisis? Car show is hit by 'meddling' bosses, crashes, an overstretched host and key staff quitting

Chris Evans' Top Gear is 'in crisis' after crashes and key staff quitting | Daily Mail Online

Executive producer Lisa Clark leaves Top Gear after five months

Executive producer lisa clark leaves top gear after five months | Daily Mail Online

But who are they? Top Gear reveals new presenters who will front the show alongside Chris Evans - but no one's ever heard of them before

Chris Evans' Top Gear in turmoil as David Coulthard joins as a presenter | Daily Mail Online

Overworked Chris Evans quits TFI Friday due to Top Gear commitments amid claims the TV show's relaunch preparations are a 'shambles'

Chris Evans quits TFI Friday due to Top Gear commitments | Daily Mail Online

Top Gear in crisis? Filming held up because Chris Evans 'CAN'T drive and talk into the camera at the same time

Top Gear's Chris Evans ‘holding up filming as he can't talk and drive at same time' | Daily Mail Online

Chris Evans claims the Top Gear atmosphere was 'apocalyptic' when he started on the show after Jeremy Clarkson assault scandal

Chris Evans says Top Gear was 'apocalyptic' after Jeremy Clarkson assault | Daily Mail Online

Fresh blow for Top Gear as David Coulthard snubs co-presenter role on the show to front Channel 4's Formula One coverage instead

David Coulthard snubs Top Gear co-presenter role to front Formula One coverage | Daily Mail Online

Top Gear on the skids: Chris Evans 'clashes with BBC chiefs over the resignation of key producer he brought in to help revive the show'

Top Gear's Chris Evans 'clashes with BBC chiefs over Lisa Clark's resignation' | Daily Mail Online

Revamping Top Gear is making Chris Evans sick: Now host THROWS UP while filming troubled new version of the BBC car show

Top Gear's Chris Evans halts filming as he climbs out of the car to VOMIT | Daily Mail Online

Oh my... wait it's from the Daily Fail. Nothing to see here folks. Only people who read that crap would want to read and hear how the BBC was a mess or that immigrants were causing the everything that is happening in the world.

'Bloody immigrants making the arctic winds drop our temperatures to freezing and...'

Oh my... wait it's from the Daily Fail. Nothing to see here folks. Only people who read that

Can't really agree with this, both the website and the physical newspaper and very popular and very influential and although I agree with your judgement of their usual demographic, it's definitely not something to dismiss and scoff at.

Another day, another anti-topgear article :lol:

New crisis for Top Gear as boss in charge of getting Chris Evans' revamped version on screen quits BBC | Daily Mail Online

It's known all over the world I guess; my country ain't even part of the Commonwealth and yet I, too, know it's awful. British media are often cited in the media here. It falls into the same category with German BILD, which is also very popular and often quick with the breaking news.

It's been a while since I read intl newspapers, but I know sure that BILD has often naked girls. Maybe Daily Mail is not that bad?

Also don't forget the huge amounts of social media pages jumping in the bashing wagon!

One of the top offenders wthat spring to mind would be the 'Lad Bible' page...even more funny when you read the comments, funny in a face palm sort of way that is. :fp:

Honestly have my hopes that this turned out to be like 5th Gear, as personally I much preferred it.

To be honest, The Lad Bible just regurgitates stories from other sites these days, they have become rather crap.

This implies that they were once good. :cheeky:

I sometimes go on the Daily Mail website at work when I want a chuckle. They are however much better than the BBC news/sport websites at proof reading their articles.