We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BBC Top Gear [It's back!]

Andreas¹

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not that smitten with Rory but the news of Harris getting his on TG.com/TG mag deal and them two supposedly getting more time on the main show, I think the BBC might actually be listening to viewers.

There was a noticeable lack of Evans in Ep 3, Joey did most if not all of the studio talking which made such a big difference. Even though LeBlanc is not at all subtle in how he reads his lines, that is forgivable as I'm hoping he'll become less stiff (lol gay joke here) with more time.

I genuinely think i'd give that last episode a 7.5-8/10. It was rather decent, if not slightly rushed.

The only issue I had with episode 3 is that I couldn't remember what was in it not long after watching it. At least with the previous 2 I could remember they were about Reliants and SUVs in South Africa. Ep 3 left no impression on me at all, until I got the page in the survey where it reminded me about the R8 at Laguna Seca and... poop I've forgotten again.

For the first time in god knows how long, I actually sat down at watched the show! I then went and watched the second episode.

And I was not dissapoint! :)

I don't see a problem with Evens personally, does a good job.

Sabine also does a good job, her & even's make a good team if you ask me.

Matt I was on the fence over, but actually like him on it!

Rory did a fantastic hot hatch review, was surprised to see a bit of technical gibberish thrown i! (Not seen that on TG in yonks)

Harris, no words needed! ;)

EJ, at first i honestly had no idea why he was there other than "The F1 is on another channel and I've a contract to use up",(And I'm a fan of him!) but he did better than expected and I hope he returns! Be it as a 3rd man on the challenges or for a review!

I've seen alot of people on FB slating the show, but personally it does seem to be a case of "It's not the old lot" or "It's not 'Old' top gear so its rubbish". It seemed no more or less scripted than before. The "Star in the Car" being the most 'scripted' part for me, but it'll be somewhat expected. At no moment in the South Africa part did I feel "I knew that was going to happen", the bit where EJ damaged the car seemed like an actual accident.

8/10 will watch again. :)

Caught up on the latest episode last night and I am glad to see the show changing bit by bit and starting to catch in places. The lack of Evans was a blessing but, he still gets to do the interviews and that is probably the worst part with him as he's constantly trying to spur up the crowd at stupid moments and he's far too shouty. The R8 round the normal track was watchable but not so much listenable due to Evans' inability to present his feelings over to the viewer. Then handing it over to Sabine to thrash around Laguna Seca who with her driving -- and the noises she made -- conveyed more how the car was handling and the feedback she was getting than probably her Germanglish could ever do.

Kevin Hart was good but that whole 'VS' thing HAS TO GO!! I do like the new lap but I want someone else to narrate it and also the editing of the laps to be more fluid. If you've ever noticed sometimes how the clips jump between sections it can be quite jarring. :oook:

Harris, the one and only Chris Harris. As a presenter from what I saw on Extra Gear I did not really rate him, but when filming himself abusing a car. Absolutely astonishing as Clarkson would say. Maybe it helped that the production was fully on-point and that the car made a beautiful intimidating sound but it just felt: this here, this is a car guy. He knows about cars and he enjoys them and best of all he knows how to drive the nuts off them!! From the brief history lesson to the self-admission about his surprise at getting to drive a £5m rarity like the 250 tdf, and then onto its modern namesake around Circuit Paul Ricard with its stunning colours and corners that Harris threaded and slid around alongside the quite exceptional cinematography made for a high-quality car enthusiast piece with plenty of entertainment for those looking for only that. I'm hoping over time Harris can better his studio segments and be more natural in front of the camera as then he will be the full package and this I feel will easily be on par with what the usual trio can bring with The Grand Tour.

Onto Reid and I need to see more of him before I make a decision on him. Yeah he can present well enough and in front of the camera he does have a gloss to him, but there's also something missing. I don't know what it is, maybe he's one of those devout F&F crowd muppets or something, but I reckon he is going to eat those words about taking the Focus RS over a Pagani, Porsche etc. I actually liked Matt calling him a Ford 'salesman' and seeing his face when this was done, he didn't look too impressed. :p

Finally, onto the sightseeing-tour around London city. This was a good and quite risky direction to go I think, keeping the chatter down to the bare minimum was wise and baiting us about the 'red button' will hopefully result in something explosive when it finally gets a use. Apart from the incredible driving by Block, everything else from the team behind the camera and in the editing room was exceptional. The sound was raw, no need for any music when that thing is roaring like a pissed off Lion and the epic views and camera work with the introduction and ending showed that the BBC really do have a hell of a team who love what they do and know how best to do it. (did feel a view from atop the bus was missing though! :cheeky:)

As for Matt's presenting technique. I wholly agree with what has been said, not only here but around the webiverse and that is that he needs to lighten up, not be so stiff and actually use his voice. It's only the third episode though and the first of where he been the point man so to speak.

I really don't get the disdain for the new Top Gear. I just think some people were so stuck in their Top Gear is Clarkson, Hammond and May that anything else no matter how good, will never be good enough for them. And that's a shame, as they are missing out on some damn fine automotive entertainment.

Stay tuned for the next chapter, next week! :lol:

^ Pretty much that, except I had to skip the celebrity laps because Kevin Hart was giving me a headache. Not a fault of Top Gear though. However as Diablo said, that whole segment isn't great due to some dodgy editing, the weird scripted "This is what the dude sitting next to me is doing these days" part, and the strange forced competition of who owns the better car, had the best first car, best hair, etc.

My other complaint is Evans' part of the R8 segment. Boring af. He drove down the runway and read out a spec sheet aloud with some descriptive terms. He didn't describe how it felt, or even show what it could do, or tell me the good and bad parts. It was the exact same as he did last week only with a different car. Get some tips from Harris, Evans.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't enjoy Sunday's episode to be honest. Rory's segment was awful. It was basically a free F-Type advert for Jaguar on prime time television? I don't quite understand its purpose. Did he once say anything remotely negative about the car? I don't think he did. His challenge was awful, he made it seem really really hard and like it was such a big deal and it just blatantly wasn't that stressful a challenge and it simply wasn't a challenge at all was it? The car pulled onto the Motor Show stand without a spec of dirt on the entire car so it's not as if he was running that late they couldn't clean the thing :lol: It just seemed all a bit too fake, forced, trying to make it seem exciting when it just wasn't. I like the car though.

LeBlanc seemed a bit.....missing from this ep too, he was there and there was enough of him, he just doesn't seem all that interested in anything :lol: The vote for old vs new Rolls was a bit crap and could have been done much better.

Episode rating? 4/10

Yep I've averaged 50mph/80kph on twisty roads in das Golf plenty of times - can't imagine it was that hard for him. I gave it a 3 because after 2 days I couldn't remember what it was about (again).

I will say some of their metaphors are pretty funny though.

The SIARC segment does need some work. The 'get one guest to tell us what the other guest is on TG to promote' method is absolutely appalling, why haven't they dropped it yet, can they not see it's ridiculously awkward and forced?

But I do like the comparing best and worst cars, but that only really works when you know the guests quite well, if they're strangers to anyone but us brits people will simply tune out and not care.

Glad to hear this. Knew he wouldn't fit in Top Gear and it's bothersome to think that someone at the BBC thought he was the perfect one to carry on the show at a pivotal point where the show had to do well and those fronting, be likeable.

I'm not on the whole Matt fanbus either, he's got something but it needs worked on more before he develops his persona for the show imo. Harris has been stepping it up since his first appearance on Extra Gear for me. He wasn't looking well suited to being in front of the camera in those early moments but as time has gone on it's been amazing to see him properly grow in confidence in his presenting ability.

Could do without Eddie Jordan and I am not really sure how Sabine can properly fit in. They need to rethink the guest interview and maybe the celebrity lap. I like the rallycross aspect but with the weather we get in the UK it's evident that the course will get to be real nuisance and may require two lapboards to keep track of the differing conditions they experienced on the day.

I wonder if bringing in the u-turn and a jump in the typical lap could work?