We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looks like a 5% more aggressive M-Sport body kit. The RS/AMG/M models should be trying to look a bit more cray and radical, It's okay knowing that a 520d owner wants his car to look like an M5 but an M5 owner does not want his car to look like a 520d, and although there are many more 520d owners out there, it is the M5 owner that is paying a lot more money for his car individually :shrug:

RS 6 not crazy enough? Lol

I don't know why y'all need a super cray aggressive design that eats babies for breakfast.

The "philosophy" of these fast German saloons is to look pretty regular while offering spectacular performance. It's always been like that. Flying under the radar.

If you have a look at the 500 E W124 or early M5s, you'll notice that they look pretty vanilla apart from some specific parts like wider fenders, bumpers and whatnot. Especially compared to the newest generations.

And look how popular they were/are. Especially the E39 M5 which has been praised by many as the best RWD sedan of all time or the aforementioned W124 built in Zuffenhausen.

Can't tell if the arches are any wider on the M5 above, probably they are, but the bumpers on this render already look noticeably different. Just wait until you see it on the road.

Leave the crazy stuff to Lexus, please. I can guarantee you that people will be tired of their design in a few years time.

Your opinion about the average 520d and M5 does not reflect the real world. You don't know what the average M5 buyer wants or doesn't want.

The G needs more than just big screens and quilted leather, it needs to find the right balance between its chassis' victorian architecture and modern technology :hmmm: That said, it's selling, why fix something that isn't broke I guess.

The exterior needs a re-think as to how its LEDs/DRLs are integrated into the design too, the current ones look absolutely shocking.

And more legroom for the rear seats, but hey it's just a status thing these days.

Next week supposedly is the reveil of the Renault-Nissan-Benz pickup (mostly called GLT). Will be built in Argentina (because Nissan) and would be on schedule for a public debute at the Sao Paulo International Motor Show in Brazil. It would compete against Hillux, Amarok, Ranger and more as a ''premium pick-up truck''. Not intended for the USA, they know they won't be able to get a firm position among the American builders.

mercedes-glt-spy-photo.jpg

How different will this be from the Nissan? They seem to be doing a hell of a lot of testing and camouflage work for something that for all intents and purposes is just the Nissan with a 3 pointed star and new LED headlights (I presume).

This GLT reminds me of the VW. I was looking at an Amarok earlier and I do like them, I've always loved the Nissan Navara and Mitsubishi L200 but they've always tried to find a niche inbetween normal civilian car and work-horse and ended up being the jack of all trades but master of none. The Amarok is closer to feeling like a proper car, with a proper interior, but the list of options available distances itself from the other VWs, an R-Line model and blingy parts might not be what a pickup needs but I think it would help sell Amaroks by the bucket load. The interior is fine, but the exterior needs better LED headlights and taillights etc.

The GLT needs to remember that it is a Merc, and offer an options list that VW failed to offer with the Amarok. Why would someone buy it over the Nissan? Because they want the badge, so offer everything that should come with the badge. :shrug: They already do that with the G.

To continue your first few sentences: they also drove a long time with the Citan in camouflage. A Citan is a rebadged Kangoo all the way down to the engines available. Merc only changed minimal visual aspects of which the stars on the grille, bonnet and wheels are the most significant ones.

I'm also interested why someone would buy this. I also don't know if Merc is building it because there really is a demand for a pick-up with an expensive badge, or because it's yet another way to become the biggest builder in numbers and profit, by skipping all the true development and just take some existing car to rebadge.

I kinda like the idea of a pick up with a merc badge tbh :shrug: We've always had medium to big sized dogs in the family and I always plan to have one or two, a high spec 'GLT' with one of the bed cab things on the back would be a good family car :nods: Totally over the top and obnoxious, but that's me :cheeese:

How different will this be from the Nissan? They seem to be doing a hell of a lot of testing and camouflage work for something that for all intents and purposes is just the Nissan with a 3 pointed star and new LED headlights (I presume).

Camo wraps are here just for publicity. The pick-up is probably doing some final testing and they're just fishing for website clicks as the reveal date is getting closer.

There've been reports that the Mercedes-Benz version will indeed be different both outside and inside. However, compare this with the Merc above. Even the headlights look identical to me while the Renault Alaskan has a different front end.

And if they won't even bother with redoing this, God help us all... I expect the worst, as usual. And the fact that all three will be built alongside each other in Argentina and Spain doesn't really help. But, maybe that's just me and my skeptical thinking.

doublecab_navara218.jpg?itok=LoQoODdZ

This GLT reminds me of the VW. I was looking at an Amarok earlier and I do like them, I've always loved the Nissan Navara and Mitsubishi L200 but they've always tried to find a niche inbetween normal civilian car and work-horse and ended up being the jack of all trades but master of none. The Amarok is closer to feeling like a proper car, with a proper interior, but the list of options available distances itself from the other VWs, an R-Line model and blingy parts might not be what a pickup needs but I think it would help sell Amaroks by the bucket load. The interior is fine, but the exterior needs better LED headlights and taillights etc.

The GLT needs to remember that it is a Merc, and offer an options list that VW failed to offer with the Amarok. Why would someone buy it over the Nissan? Because they want the badge, so offer everything that should come with the badge. :shrug: They already do that with the G.

VW has recently facelifted the Amarok, as I am sure you know. They got rid of ALL four cylinder engines so now it's got only Audi-sourced 3.0 TDI's and 8-speed auto for which VW deserves lots of :clap:. That alone makes it automatically more premium than anything else. I am reading through the brochure and it's got bixenons, LED tails, 14-way leathersitze, new satnav, park sensors, etc., and even Alcantara headliner is available as a special-order option for three thousand euros, heh. I got to almost 57k in the top-spec dawg.

Think it looks pretty nice and civilian outside in this spec (sans the roof lights and the rear bar). But honestly, it's still a workhorse that happens to have some luxury stuff. Can't expect some high-end materials and stuff. NVH, sound insulation and so forth will still be issues that might some people looking for something luxurious put off.

658_22_img_8227.jpg

Yeah I read through the price brochure and options list for the Amarok the other day and I think the facelift brings the Amarok into play as exactly what I was talking about in my last post. It's a shame it wasn't like that when it was first launched, definitely a huge mistake. The bi-xenons make such a difference.

As for the GLT, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. As you said, you've just optioned up an Amarok to quite a crazy price, I wonder how the GLT will compare, maybe a new niche is being created. From what I've seen so far, I'd be having the VW.

I am struggling as to why a pick-up truck, though. I can't see it as a good family car - something that replaces, dunno, a Sharan or a van of some sort.

Sure, you can put your dirty dogs on the bed and just power-wash all the mud when at home, but could you go to anywhere further than the UK, though? Not much space for luggage, kids and all the family stuff. Can't put it always outside on the bed, can you? You'd have buy a hardtop for it, then. That's another couple grand. Less pleasant on the highway, too big for the little roads here, etc.

I could see it as a third car for shorter trips within the country with your pets when it's raining outside so you won't mind as much that it gets dirty. So now why spend all the money on the most expensive version?

Just get a Multivan/Carravelle or a V-class and call it a day. Those are the best family cars ever. I am speaking from experience and I approve this message. :nods:

No idea to be honest. The only people I see driving around here with Navara's or Amaroks are doing so because our Defence has bought them to replace the many G-Classes or because of a lot of them are being used by our national agency for transport and water management. Other than that, people here in Holland seem to like the Americans a lot, quite some Ram's are driving around here.

EDIT: Merc's gonna introduce the concept version of it next week tuesday in Stockholm. They've released this trailer, which makes me think a lot of the F350 for some reason...