We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit more news: the E63 is getting closer and closer to its debut, with indications towards the LA Motor Show for the sedan and Geneva next year March for the stationwagon, which has been spotted with the REAL exhausts hiding behind those fancy 2x double end tips. And this is not just a Benz thing, or a German premium thing, I decided to google it and saw even Lexus xx-F, Chevrolet and Lamborghini models do this... Oh, to refresh, E63's gonna have an upgraded version of the 4-liter (because China) twinturbo V8 upwards to 600 hp in the S-versions. The cars will be AWD only and like the Focus RS are said to be equipped with a Driftmode button. I like those 5-spokes...

2017-mercedes-amg-e63-spy-photo.jpg

2018-mercedes-amg-e63-estate-spy-photo.jpg

2018-mercedes-amg-e63-estate-spy-photo.jpg

And in a different corner of the world, pictures have surfaced of a rejected clay-model proposal for how the new Wrangler should look like. I really like it actually, it has some nice modern touches while still having the original rough look. Notice the triple removable roof panels:

2018-jeep-wrangler-rejected-design.jpg

Here we go, zee new E 63 (S) 4MATIC+

INCLUDING DRIFT MODE

Mercedes-AMG-E-63-S-4Matic-2016-Vorstellung-1200x800-9b80ebda1b4573d2.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-E-63-S-4Matic-2016-Vorstellung-1200x800-b1253566d86379f4.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-E-63-S-4Matic-2016-Vorstellung-1200x800-41551d3e68e93504.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-E-63-S-4Matic-2016-Vorstellung-1200x800-897e4598d93ce712.jpg

merc-e63-2016-web-15.jpg

- 571 PS / 750 Nm or 612 PS / 850 Nm

- 9-speed MCT automatic gearbox

- 17mm wider

- AWD-only

- three interiors: black, brown, beige

- S version gets an e-diff, dynamic engine mounts, bigger brakes (can opt for CCBs, too), and DRIFT MODE YA HEAR ME

- Edition One in matt black

You can still have a more exciting design than an M5 without it being gaudy and over the top.

I've warmed to the E63 though, it's not as ew as I first thought having now seen a head-on pic of the front. That said, the moment Merc offer factory stripes on the thing, it's doomed.

You can still have a more exciting design than an (insert car) without it being gaudy and over the top.

This is what I have been saying for a long time. Mercs cross the line pretty often, but while the standard E-class look, I don't know, too round, doughy and overall meh, the wider fenders and overall bumper design make it look much better. I don't think they went overboard with the front end. Hm, maybe... slightly, but the V8 needs to be well fed so that it doesn't go into limp mode in Dubai during the summer. Its front air intakes are basically fully open.

The press release says that Edition 1 will have stripes on the bottom of the doors. :burp:

I don't think i'll ever agree with drift mode in a car like this. Executive saloons, especially fast and top-end executive saloons will be driven by those who get their thrills via mistresses/ladies of the night/dealing drugs/taking class A drugs/being a bit of a penis, as much as using drift mode in public would fall under 'being a bit of a penis', I just don't think the Venn Diagram for people who want drift mode and the genuine E63 Market will overlap that much, perhaps a tad, but not enough to make it a necessity.

I don't think i'll ever agree with drift mode in a car like this. Executive saloons, especially fast and top-end executive saloons will be driven by those who get their thrills via mistresses/ladies of the night/dealing drugs/taking class A drugs/being a bit of a penis, as much as using drift mode in public would fall under 'being a bit of a penis', I just don't think the Venn Diagram for people who want drift mode and the genuine E63 Market will overlap that much, perhaps a tad, but not enough to make it a necessity.

Do you have a problem with the "drift mode" itself and/or the fact that that it can be RWD? Cuz all AMG E's and M5's used to be RWD for decades.

It is only because of ever-increasing power, drag races, and people with little skill not being able to put all the power down without hitting trees that MB and BMW are switching to AWD.

Do you have a problem with the "drift mode" itself and/or the fact that that it can be RWD? Cuz all AMG E's and M5's used to be RWD for decades.

It is only because of ever-increasing power, drag races, and people with little skill not being able to put all the power down without hitting trees that MB and BMW are switching to AWD.

Just drift mode tbh, the fact it can be rwd is absolutely fine but I just think that a drift mode encourages a 'WATCH THIS BRUH!' attitude.

What-Could-Possibly-Go-Wrong.gif

I thought people bought Audi's or BMW X Drive if they wanted AWD (or did everyone just want AWD and they caved)?

I like the idea of them still having a RWD only mode, but I don't like them calling it 'drift mode' for two reasons:

1. AMGs have pretty much always been synonymous with drifting (at least on TopGear) so shouldn't need a 'mode' to do it

2. Everyone thinks a Ford Focus did it first - seems like brand devaluation to 'copy' them.

If it was a little-known feature of 'Sport+' mode I'd be more fine with it.

Just drift mode tbh, the fact it can be rwd is absolutely fine but I just think that a drift mode encourages a 'WATCH THIS BRUH!' attitude.

http://cdn3.teen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/What-Could-Possibly-Go-Wrong.gif

Hmm, I have to agree with you. I didn't think of it much as I was rather interested in what it does and why others don't do that.

AWD-only. Whyyyyy :(

According to Merc, since they started selling the 212 as AWD alongside RWD, over 85% of sales was formed by the AWD versions. Though I think for a part it also has to do with the fact the numbers simply are the best/fastest/biggest in the AWD versions.

If you want to die sideways you buy an AMG.

With the new E63, you tóó can die sideways, at the mere press of a button! :D But ye... turn off all assistance and safety, and get in Drift mode.

A few new cars have been released this week:

VW Atlas

db2016au00892.jpg?itok=l1HX_ws8

db2016au00893.jpg?itok=kVkBbn4q

db2016au00907.jpg?itok=bey9Mtin

images from Autocar | Car News and Car Reviews

This is beyond MEH. It's just so bland, it's meant to be quite muscular but nah, it dull as anything. Thankfully it won't be coming to Europe.

2017 Mini Countryman

s8mvu2qmpfpjlf5zlioi.jpg

uuo5sr5chaywgzpd6asi.jpg

h4ffhvhhdqdut6kxj8pn.jpg

rzqpkimlafxv73aihkgk.jpg

images from Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

I can see what they're trying to do, make it look more mature and less toy-like. Not 100% sure i'm a fan but I'm not repulsed either, that interior looks rather amazing though the lighting is a bit OTT.

And most importantly, 100% Dutch assembled because the VDL Nedcar factory will be the only factory building this. Years ago the factory was about to go bankrupt, but thanks to VDL the Mini was being produced there, and now they need another 1200 people on top of the 4000 already working there, thanks to having been nominated the Countryman. Very good development.

Though it changes little of what I think about the car itself, not ugly, but it's a bit busy on the outside for my taste. There's the dark plastic wheel arches, the gloss black in the bumper and on the pillars, the body paint and the roof paint and the taillights and trim