We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

I only quickly looked at this concept when it was first unveiled, Mr Moto Man does a good job of highlighting what the concept is all about.

The luggage rack at the side is rather stunning, though how much space would there be up front for the engine realistically? They're saying this is a car for 2040, 23 years in the future so drivetrains might be packaged very differently by then. That said, I'm sure the tech in this car would be feasible way before then, it's just whether society will be ready for it.

The one side entrance is also rather stunning, imagine turning up to a red carpet in that :eek: Obnoxious? Yes, but isn't almost any Rolls Royce? The rear bench/autonomous driving thing does look rather good too, after all a Rolls is meant for you to be driven in.

The front wheels are actually functional, I'm not sure just how functional, how do the brakes get cooled? But when I first saw the concept I didn't realise that it actually worked to an extent.

The concept isn't perfect and I'm not 100% sold on it even though there are many separate things I do love, but it did raise a few questions and I think that it is a very successful concept car because of it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than rear headroom, what exactly are you gaining from having the wagon exterior? It's not much bigger so even though the boot will have a higher capacity, i'd be shocked if it is a massive difference.

That said, it looks amazing, and I'd have the wagon every single time. :drool: The next Audi A7 better up its game, I've always loved them but this looks better tbh.

I know what the difference is :cheeky: I just don't think it is offering that big a difference other than for pure aesthetic reasons :shrug:

Basically, I don't know why they're bothering, usually different body types of the same car offer a very different practical purpose whether it is a coupe/cabrio/sedan/estate, this seems like a fair bit of work for a small percentage of extra luggage, when most estates offer a vastly bigger amount of space to their sedan counterpart :hmmm: I might be wrong, this is just what i've interpreted from the photo.

Even though I'm not sure why they're bothering, I'm glad they are, it looks amazing, and if that is the only reason why they're doing it, then jesus, that's not very German-like is it :p

It was meant for those who may not be as knowledgeable as you or me. :cheeky:

I bet they will call it a "lifestyle" car. I have no idea what that means, but they found a niche (well, Merc was first), enough people who probably have one already on order, etc. I guess the concept was a success, then. I know I would choose it even though they're gonna sell it for 20k more. And that's how they intend to make money on it!

Still, if you want to transport everything that your mama house got in a very fast manner, the only real option is the last-gen E 63 AMG. :p The last real, long-roof wagon.

I like it, simply because we were looking at Mitsubishi L200s and Nissan Navaros a few years back as I wanted a pickup because i'm a redneck alpha male but they were too agricultural and unrefined.

In all seriousness, I do think this is a valid niche and I'm waiting to see the production X-Class before truly judging it, but initial impressions are good.

Is that so bad? I'm the same, blank buttons wind me up, I completely understand it.

Never said it's bad, in fact I would do the same thing, wouldn't be able to stand having so many buttons unmarked. Though ofcourse the budget has to help :p . High-end cars already have the buttons there because it can be cheaper to have unmarked non-functioning button caps, than having one doorpanel with 2 button holes or one with 8 button holes.

Did Nissan stage a takeover of Mercedes or something? Seriously, I don't get it

Merc is in a largest/best-premium-builder war with BMW and Audi, and all 3 think they just have to build as many cars as possible to become the best. As car builder you reach the point your existing models sell at maximum capacity so you need something alongside it. Preferrably, something in a segment your competitors haven't fully covered yet, like how Merc made the CLS, BMW made the X6, etc. So Merc now builds a pick-up, they have analyzed the market and have predicted/noticed a massive increase in sales of pick-ups for the consumer (more as a luxury vehicle than a true working horse thing).

Nissan comes in the picture because Renault-Nissan is an alliance, which Mercedes works together with (think of the Renault engines and the Citan/Kangoo). Nissan had the pick-up truck, a proven vehicle already finalized in development, all Merc has to do is to restyle it, slam at least one of their own engines in it and try and dress it a bit. The Merc will be built on the same line as the Nissan as well.