We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Thinking in changes

mau92

So, I'd really like to change my current PC and start thinking on next gen games. My question is... Is the right moment for changing or new hardware will arrive on 2015? I built the PC I have right now by the end of 2011, these are the specs.

MoBo: ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3

CPU: Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.2GHz + CM Hyper 212+

RAM: 8gb HyperX 1600Mhz

GPU: Sapphire HD6750 1GB gddr5

PSU: Topower TOP700W

Case: Aerocool RS-9

SO: Win7 64-Bit

I want to change to Intel/nVidia combo but, specially on the GFX department I don't know which is the best. For example, which one is better of 750gti/gtx/ti and so on. In other words, how is the nomenclature of the new nVidia series.

As you might imagine, the build is focused on gaming with some video rendering/photo editing from time to time. For the processor I have in mind an i5 or i7 of the current Haswell gen, but then again, which one is better? Which one will be better for the incoming games? I'm planning a life span of 4 or 5 years (like all my previous PCs).

For example, which one is better of 750gti/gtx/ti and so on. In other words, how is the nomenclature of the new nVidia series.

Basically, the higher the number the better. The current series is the 900-series. Cards from x10 - x40 are prefixed GT (GT210, GT610, GT620...) and are the low end cards. x50 and up are prefixed GTX (GTX960, GTX970, GTX980...) and the performance cards. The suffix Ti (GTX750 Ti for example) supposedly stands for Titanium and is basically a slightly improved version of that card (so GTX750 Ti is better than the GTX750, but still below the GTX760). For gaming, I think you're looking at a x60 minimum really. With a 960 I don't think full HD will be a problem but you might have to turn down some of the extra options a notch or two.

As you might imagine, the build is focused on gaming with some video rendering/photo editing from time to time. For the processor I have in mind an i5 or i7 of the current Haswell gen, but then again, which one is better? Which one will be better for the incoming games? I'm planning a life span of 4 or 5 years (like all my previous PCs).

Depends on the amount of video rendering you want to do. The difference between i5 and i7 is that the i7 supports Hyper Threading. I'll admit straight away I don't know what that is but from what I've read (also looking at CPUs at the moment) Hyper Threading really only makes a difference for really CPU heavy stuff like video rendering and there are hardly any games today that support it. In other words, if you want to do a lot of video rendering, an i7 might be worth the extra money but for games it won't.

Or you can wait for Camel to come round and correct everything I've gotten wrong.

There is never really a perfect time to upgrade a computer. New and upgraded parts are constantly being released so even if you buy the best parts available, a few months down the line they will no longer be the best parts available. That doesn't mean they instantly turn crap though!

I think Andai pretty much covered the nVidia side of things. :pathead:

And from what you've said, an i7 will be overkill for your needs. A decent i5 is more than enough for gaming and video editing(will take slightly longer). I'd personally not go for anything lower than an i5 4570. Only choose one of the i5 4***k CPUs if you intend on overclocking as these are the unlocked processors. One of these should easily last 5 or so years.

E: Hyper threading simply put just makes it appear that your CPU has double the amount of cores than it actually has. In most cases this offers very little or no benefit for the average user. I can go more into it if you want. :p

E: Hyper threading simply put just makes it appear that your CPU has double the amount of cores than it actually has. In most cases this offers very little or no benefit for the average user. I can go more into it if you want. :p

Please do :p I think I saw an option for that in my EUFI or whatever you called it. (back in my day it was bios and was looked like DOS :lol:)

@mau, my new system with i5/GTX970 runs... well everything so far maxed out. I think I lowered the ...**AA (don't remember) because I wasn't getting 60FPS (I think) on pcars :hmmm:

Please do :p I think I saw an option for that in my EUFI or whatever you called it. (back in my day it was bios and was looked like DOS :lol:)

@mau, my new system with i5/GTX970 runs... well everything so far maxed out. I think I lowered the ...**AA (don't remember) because I wasn't getting 60FPS (I think) on pcars :hmmm:

HT means that each physical CPU core can process 2(4 on some top top end CPUs I think) threads(part of a process you see in the task manager) at roughly the same time. The resources(cache, bus, registers) for each core are split up and shared between 2 threads so that they can both be progressed at roughly the same time. But if both threads are active on a single core then they only have limited access to the resources available.

HT means that each physical CPU core can process 2(4 on some top top end CPUs I think) threads(part of a process you see in the task manager) at roughly the same time. The resources(cache, bus, registers) for each core are split up and shared between 2 threads so that they can both be progressed at roughly the same time. But if both threads are active on a single core then they only have limited access to the resources available.

Okay I semi-understand this :hmmm: Should I just not bother with it then? :lol:

Well, I knew from beforehand the HT thingy and all. I was aiming more to the i5 than to the i7, but I wanted someone to confirm that the performance was not a huge a difference in gaming and general things (Btw, you can check my videos clicking on "Youtube" down there in my signature).

Thanks Scott for that information! When I'm talking about life span is not how many time it will work until the processor or anything else decided that it had enough, but technology life span. I know you can never have the latest, but I don't want to spend money on something that will last 5 years but won't run games developed during those 5 years, am I clear enough?

Thanks and regards!

Yep, you're as clear as a clear thing that is clear.

Any decent(i5 4570 or higher and 9**GTX card) should still be able to play games in 5 years time. They won't be able to max out the graphics but will still play them.

Look at the 8800/9800GT, that card can still play games released today, albeit on low settings. But that card was released over 7 years ago.

And from what you've said, an i7 will be overkill for your needs. A decent i5 is more than enough for gaming and video editing(will take slightly longer). I'd personally not go for anything lower than an i5 4570. Only choose one of the i5 4***k CPUs if you intend on overclocking as these are the unlocked processors. One of these should easily last 5 or so years.

When was the the i5 4xxx series released? The i7 5xxx series is just being put on the market, will the i5 follow or is that going to take a while? Don't know much about Intel and their release schedules :hmmm: