We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What is the most improtant part of a car?

Camel

To me, the most important aspect of a car, has to be the feeling, or, as some people say, the ability to make you smile, because, that's what really catches you.

I mean, sure, nobody wants to drive a car that's ugly, but have a really nice looking car, which has no feeling, no emotion, all the visual is... pointless, because when you drive, you don't enjoy it, you don't have a good time while doing so, you don't feel this need to take the car at night for a drive, just to drive around.

A rough comparision that i made recently was between the new Golf GTi and the new Civic Si... the Golf GTi wins in 90% of things against the Si, it's better looking, better built, more comfortable, faster and better on stuff you get for the price you pay. Although, the Si wins in 10%, and those 10% is the feeling... and for me, if a car doesn't have that 10% the Si has... i can't see myself driving it.

You see, i might over-explain here, but what i mean is that driving feeling goes beyond logic. It may not make you buy one, if you really need to rely on logic when you buy a car, but it sure will make you think/dream/wish you had them.

Depend's on how much you want to boil it down to.

Me? Well considering I'm always buying cars that are 10 years or older it has to be if it's mechanically fine.

Once I know it is, it has to be the brakes and tyres. As that's what's making you stop and keeping you on the road.

Look's? Well it depends on the car really, if it's one of my 'sheds' then as long as it's not structural i'm not too fussed.

The perfect example of this is both my old Clio & the Kia Rio i'm currently running. Both have seen better day's looks wise in terms of rust, but mechanically fine (other than the dicky alternator on the Rio).

Driving dynamics? Depends on what the car is for, again i'll use the Rio as an example. It's being used as a runabout/van so handling is't high up on the list of need's. Meanwhile the Cappuccino is all for fun, and thankfully it delivers on that part in the buck loads!

That said, if I was getting a car new then the set of thing's would boil down to what's fun but not too comprising. I.e a Caterham 7 would't work as an everyday car for me (as much as I'd want it to) because of several reasons, but a Twingo Gordini would.

I'm doubting any of us are rich enough to not care about the price, but I'm not sure it's the most important thing.

Of course price matters, but when, for example, the Seat Leon Wagon ST thingymabob is a lot cheaper than the Golf R Wagon, but some people would still go for the Golf R, it shows that price isn't the most important thing.

It's the limiting factor though. Going by all the other most importantest things in this thread then a BMW M3 or Porsche 911 or Ferrari 488 GTB would be better.

Desired car tends to = [What you can afford] + n (car fans tend to stretch the budget a little). ;)

5ilsskakMwGT6.gif

The facepalm was originally to hassan, however it is now also directed at that condescending ;) smiley too.

--- Post Updated ---

Also, as clever as that equation tries to be, the question isn't about the purchase of a vehicle, so price isn't the most important factor here nor is it a limiting factor when answering the question. ';)'

Unless you're quite frugal (or love to spend money) in which case a low price or high price might change your view of a vehicle dramatically.