We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BTRQ Editor v0.5 - Adjust the performance curves of car engines!

mcv100

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Well I know at least that my program works for .btrq files already present in cars, so there's that :lol:. Even if it turns out that .btrq files don't have a huge effect after all (I know they do, but not to what extent) and editing them is not very useful, I still massively enjoyed coding this thing! :)

Torque is important for me :D I love twitching a car and making it realistic. With TDUPE it's great but not perfect. With your tool, you are helping me of getting closer to perfection :) Yes it's not much but it's still interesting :happyroll:

Well at least, you enjoy working on your little baby. That's the main thing. :cool:

Haha, everybody has their own thing they like and together that's what makes a community :).

You might still need TDUPE for the engine performance, because as I said in my post, the max torque does not seem to be affected much by the .btrq curves. Very interested in what people like you can find out about the .btrq effects!

• 3 weeks later...

With this tool, i found how some mods, like audi r8, bmw m6 cant revs 9000 rpm and we have to limited to +/- 7500, because on the final point of the curve, if we put the last point of the curve at 9000 rpm, in game the car doesn´t develops, we need to put the last point to 11000 rpm to ingame the car revs to 9000 well.

I tested with corvette c6 z06 and compare the similar curve in real life with the default car on TDU (noble m14)

If i put the last point of the curve in 6300 rpm (505hp at 6300 rpm in real life) in game i need change gear at +/- 5500 rpm, if i put the final point of the curve at 8000 rpm, in game i can change the gear at 6300.

Ty for make this tool, now i will correct rpm´s some cars :)

Just one question, its possible change the time of the gear change?

The more I use this tool, the more I love it ! TDU, The real driving simulator I must say ! :D This tool makes the torque and acceleration much more realistic. Can't say enough thank you :nods:

If you want real graphics for any cars, go here: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/

Choose any car you like, click on this link

wbHIQAJ.jpg

Then you get to a nice detail graphic :cool:

M9E113F.jpg

The only wish I have for this tool is have a more precise detailed graphic with more numbers. Like 1500 rpm or 650Nm . If we could zoom on a spot and have the detailed numbers that would be just perfect ;)

I'm having a problem with this tool. When I edit the Power graph everything goes well. But then I edit the Torque graph, and it changes the Power values, like there is a link or a proportion between the two that can't be broken. And the same for the other way around, if I edit the Power graph it will change the Torque graph.

This only happens sometimes, and I can't figure out why...

That will always happen, Rebelinho. Power = 2*pi*torque*RPM/60, so changing one will automatically change the other. So yes, they are linked together! If this does not always happen in my program, please let me know, because it definitely should! I hope my program turns out to be useful for you.

Oh no it does not happen. I too got a bit surprised how Torque and Power could be adjusted separetely, but didn't give it much importance. When I was editing the Tesla btrq, if it wasn't for the freedom in adjusting each graph by its own, those physics would never match the real graphs.

If you look at this...

porsche-918-spyder-power-and-torque-curve.jpg

You can see the formula P = 2pi.w.T doesn't apply here. For example, at 3000 rpm = 50 rps, Power is 335 HP = 249809 W, which gives 795 Nm = 586 lb.ft . As you can see the graph doesn't show this value... I think we can consider this the real life variables the formula doesn't have in mind.

And as you can see here...

iF79hLp.png

It is indeed possible to give values to torque and power that won't follow the Power formula.

You are right, the formula does not hold exactly, but still very close. The thing is, the .btrq files really only hold torque values, so TDU will definitely only use torque to simulate a car's behavior. So perfecting the torque graph is the only thing you can do. The power mode in the editor is just another view of the data. I would like TDU to have had seperate files for torque and power data, but unfortunately, only torque is used by the game.

Those screenshots of my editor indeed don't look right, I'll see what I can do. I hope I'll have time to do the coordinate mode and fixing your problem this weekend.

As for this problem, either you fix it in a way that we changing Torque changes Power automatically and we see but not change the Power graph (or to avoid confusion just delete this option altogether, if I can't or shouldn't be able to adjust it I prefer not to see it in the first place), or you give us the option to adjust both of them independently.

But given the btrq file only holds Torque information does this mean that every change I've been doing in the Power graph has no effect in the game? If this is the case then the first optin might be the best, just to avoid further mistakes.

And please do add a coordinate system, placing the maximum torque and maximum rpm points is a complete pain :D

Unfortunately yes, the power curve does not have an effect on the game. In fact, that is why I linked the power and torque graph together, so that when you adjust the power graph, the results indirectly (via the formula) go into the .btrq files. And yes, I agree, maybe I should make that more clear. But I don't think removing the option to edit the power curve is a good idea, since sometimes reallife data from a car is only in the form of a power curve. And then, with the formula, the power curve is approximated by means of a torque curve.

Do you guys have an idea how I should handle this in the interface?

But I don't think removing the option to edit the power curve is a good idea, since sometimes reallife data from a car is only in the form of a power curve.

Yes, yes, you're right. I was too hasty in that "remove the graph!" thing. It may be important.

Anyway, I'll leave you with your programming.

Edit: Do you want me to send you the non-linked-graphs files?

Finally I had some spare time this weekend :happyroll:, so I added the option to exactly specify the coordinates of a data point! The new version can be found here. The best way to make a curve is to just create and drag points in a rough curve and then use the edit boxes to fine-tune the points.

It might sound simple to add this option, but due to some limitations in the libraries I use to do the plotting, I had to rewrite some stuff to allow for the selection of a point. Therefore, some bugs may have passed into the final build. So if you guys find any bugs, please let me know! Crossing of points is still not allowed, since changing the order of points is quite hard for me to handle correctly.

Any other suggestions to improve the editor are always welcome!