We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Forza Motorsport audio designer joins Polyphony Digital

Slow day here so why not read some rather (un)interesting bit of news :yawn::

According to VVV, some guy from Turn 10 Studios called Mike (not Myk!) left M$ to join Polyphony. He's worked there on almost every Forza Motorsport game so he might teach the old Japanese dogs new tricks for the new Gran Turismo game that may or may not be released this decade.

DISCUSS KIDS

All we can do is wait and see if GT7 will give people reason to complain about it again. Hopefully not, as Kazunori is aware of the sound issue and said they will do anything to improve it for GT7.

Seems like hire new people is a start...

The system you use for sound changes the "bass" thing a lot aswell. When i play TDU without earphones, it sounds totally different when i use my phone earphones. Like... it's another game. And we're talking about TDU. :lol:

This news if true makes me more excited for GT7 than anything else to be honest. Milli Kaz has been aware of the sound and damage hate ever since GT was first previewed and every new console was meant to remedy it.

Forza and PC games show it can be done if the right people are involved.

The other thing to consider is that both your game engine and the end-user device (console) have to support this as well. So it means investing in a massive overhaul, which is plenty harder when you have 1000 cars that you want to keep on recycling. The physics and tyre engines etc have to tell the audio engine when to play what sounds. Might be playing 32 samples together, not sure. All I know is the more you have (and don't forget to add extra basic samples for all the AI around you), the more CPU you need.

Maybe ship a game with only a few hundred premium cars, and then players can unlock the 'retro' cars by completing 80% of the career mode.

All we can do is wait and see if GT7 will give people reason to complain about it again. Hopefully not, as Kazunori is aware of the sound issue and said they will do anything to improve it for GT7.

Seems like hire new people is a start...

Like they said GT6 would get new sounds that for SOME REASON have still not been released?

The other thing to consider is that both your game engine and the end-user device (console) have to support this as well. So it means investing in a massive overhaul, which is plenty harder when you have 1000 cars that you want to keep on recycling. The physics and tyre engines etc have to tell the audio engine when to play what sounds. Might be playing 32 samples together, not sure. All I know is the more you have (and don't forget to add extra basic samples for all the AI around you), the more CPU you need.

Maybe ship a game with only a few hundred premium cars, and then players can unlock the 'retro' cars by completing 80% of the career mode.

Nah, unlocking vehicles is so "not-GT". Unlock vehicles would make people even more angry at it, and even worse if the unlocked vehicles are "standards".

That's because GT5's competitors upped their game big time. This is good news for GT, no excuses left now.

Sure it's great news, but i said that in response to what Diablo said:

... Milli Kaz has been aware of the sound and damage hate ever since GT was first previewed and every new console was meant to remedy it.

If it started on GT5, which is a PS3 game, the problem was on only 1 console, since there isn't a GT in PS4 and all GT's from PS2 and PS1 didn't get complains about sounds at all.

And if my GT fan side is still allowed in this forums, GT6 is not totally poop at sounds, if you don't install "Racing transmission", you don't get whinning noises. Making it audible.

Gotta say this is good news!

Personally I'm with Milli, i only ever seen people complaining about the sounds once GT5 came about. Seem's to be just another expectation from games these days I guess. I've said it a few times, as long as it sounds roughly as it should I'm not massively fussed.

It's not the console Milli, it's the fact that other series started improving their sounds (well, partly due to the new consoles) whereas GT went with something that could have been okay a few years earlier.

I am not saying it's a PS3 problem, don't get me wrong, all i am saying is that "every new console was meant to remedy it" doesn't make sense because the only new console meant to remedy it is PS4 with GT7, to be really honest.

GT6 was sort of meant to rememdy GT5's sounds, but it's not a "new console", just a semi-new game, since it shares a lot of things with GT5, turning out to be just GT5.5

GT sounds have been mentioned since at most GT3. I am an avid Gran Turismo fan, I pre-ordered the first and bought the Dual-Shock pad to go with it. When GT2 was rumoured there were interviews about it and showings of its intro which at the time were hyped as being from the future PS2 version of which Kaz said should have the power he needs to do damage and sounds properly as he wanted. It's been a long time criticism, trust me on that or believe in only your own impressions because it would be unfair not to admit that the game has suffered the issue for damn near all of its existence.

For some strange reason two of my concrete memories are reading that OPM UK magazine that showed both GT2's intro and an interview with Kaz plus a pre-view of ToCA 2. It's lasered into my brain extremely deeply.

I do trust you Diablo, it's just the fact that i never really seen people complain about it. But as i forgot to mention, i am not an "internet veteran", if we can say that, i started to join forums and discuss about games few years ago, because that was when i really got an easy access to internet itself. Tduck is older than my "internet experience"... since i started around late 2009...

I also was a kid when GT2 was rumoured and so on, i sure would not know, so, if you're telling me that, i will listen and will take it into consideration, i may be arrogant, but if you have a good argument, i will listen, and will change my beliefs, or opinions.

I've never seen people complain about sounds untill GT5. *shrugs*

well that's because there was nothing better out there back then. Sound design improved quite a bit since don't know if you realized.

Anyway I hope GT7 will now have descent sounds. It's one of the key things I look for in a driving/racing game.