We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Learning to drive with a G27.

Dudu69

What specific aspect of driving?

There's that Russian driving simulator intended for learners. Or one of the above sims or even LFS for advanced car control (make sure you pick a road car). Do note that the G27's force feedback system won't properly replicate what you would feel in a real car, but if you pick the right sim you'll certainly get an understanding of how the car reacts to your inputs. Key is to start slow and smooth, and look far ahead. In a real ar you'd be turning your neck to look as far around the bend as possible.

GTR2 and Richard Burns Rally have an in-game driving school, and there are iRAcing driving school videos that you can watch. Or look out for the Apex book that comes with Gran Turismo for more theory.

I've heard some pro drifters saying that they learned drifting in LFS. Or try ETS2 because it actually encourages you to obey the rules.

But no matter how realistic sim games can be, they won't 100% replicate real life. I've never had the chance to play with a wheel and didn't have any problems at all in driving school nor now. :)

I'm not sure on ETS being a good one for this. Yes it might be a more ''obey the rules'' and ''driving, not racing'' game, but for example entering the highways is a bit odd with the incredibly short merger lanes. Also, I don't know what it's like in other countries, but the way ETS2 traffic handles roundabouts is very different from how I was taught to handle them. If you dó get it, I think it's wise to get a mod that gives you a normal car to drive, instead of a big truck.

First game that would jump in mind for me would be City Car Driving, the game Ryzza mentioned. City Car Driving - Car Driving Simulator, Car Game Other than this game, I'd say to just grab any big racing game with traffic and free roam mode. I wouldn't rely on games like AfC11, World Racing or GTA's xD. And just try and blend in with the traffic and try to pick slower cars perhaps.

TDU and the Latest Gran Turismos helped me. TDU is great for using the clutch and GT is great for the feeling of the car. ;) Went to the first lesson at my driving school knowing how to drive a car and the teacher was impressed how I could drive without much problem. The problem of a sim is the lack of feeling with the engine when you shift down cause you don't feel the force of the engine slowing you down. R-Factor is a good choice too :nods:

Honestly? I don't think any game could help you more than get to know the theory of driving. Like, a game can teach you what to do, but do it in real is just practice.

If you already know the theory, like, press the clutch and etc... a game won't help at all, because driving is more about feeling, and as people said, games do lack that fine feeling.

Agree with everything Milli said (I know, the horror!). I don't think games can really teach you how to drive as it is all about feeling and sound to an extent and there are no games that can replicate feeling unless you have one of those expensive rigs that moves around. And as for sounds, all you get in games is engine and road noise, you can't hear when the engine is labouring, telling you to shift down etc.

Even with those expensive chairs that move all around, you won't get the pedals feelings, and that is a "must" for driving. How sensible the gas pedal is, how is the clutch (which normally changes from car to car), brakes... and to me, that is one of the most important things for driving. Get and know how that specific car "handles".

Edit: Sometimes i make senSe, Mells. :lol:

Does anyone know of any games that could help me learn to actually drive, specially now that i bought a Logitech G27?

I actually learned the basics of stick shifting with G25 on TDU. Definitely helped me out a lot. Though I only drive automatics now so I can't complain.

Agree that games don't teach you how to drive, but they can teach you what [not] to do when you're about to mess it up (crash).

If everyone was great at realistic driving games, even with a G27, there'd be fewer accidents on the road.

Driving games definitely help. Things like depth perception, braking distance, what angle to take on a corner are things you pick up quickly regardless of game/controller device. I used to play all sorts of driving games with a keyboard and mouse, and I found normal street driving quite easy.

However, if you're trying to learn car control at high speeds, you won't gain much unless you're sitting behind the wheel of a real car.

For me playing driving games only helped in the hands/feet/head separate movement. The lack of G forces is so relevant I find driving IRL much easier than in video games. No matter the FFB your wheel has, it will never recreate the acceleration forces that come from flooring it. Imagine playing F1 2015, and going with the throttle all the way down. No problem. Now imagine doing that inside an actual F1 car, I'd crap myself.