We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Interesting Automotive Articles [Naughty Ferrari]

CarMadMike

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when Dieselgate decided to lay low for a while... yeahhhh no such luck. Süddeutsche Zeitung (South-German Newspaper) says they own various correspondance which are currently being investigated by Jones Day, some American lawyer firm. Based on those pieces, they are concluding that not VW but Audi is responsible for the cheatsoftware development, as an Audi manager would have clearly stated they múst cheat in order to pass ever stricter emission regulations.

It ain't over, not yet...

Sources: Audi tief in VW-Abgasaffddeutsche.de (German)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In other news (courtesy of Ry link dumping in the cbox) :

McLaren and BMW are working together on some new enginey stuffs to be implemented in a McLaren engine by 2020. The aim of whatever they're working on is to reduce CO2 and increase output. As a lover of fast cars and... planet Earth, this sounds good to me. More details here.

What does this mean for F1? Nothing, as it happens. Sorry.

"McLaren Racing and Honda remain fully committed to one another in Formula 1," Marca sports newspaper quotes the spokesman as adding.

Sauce

In the mean time, PSA has confirmed negotiations have started on taking over Opel from GM, which imo is a good thing because GM has no clue what to do with Opel.... other than rebadge it 6 times across the globe.

This thread is more suitable I think :)

This could be huge news for Europe, Vauxhall employs thousands of people in the UK and it's not likely that PSA will be very welcoming to keeping jobs outside of the EU if they don't need to in a post Brexit world.

It's also a bit of a shame in my opinion, I think they were on a roll. The new Mokka X is a good car, the new Astra is finally competing with the top of the class hatchbacks, the new Insignia and Insignia estate look stunning. The products are decent, the company just isn't profitable.

Apparently the loss has been 15 billion dollars in the past 17 years. They háve finally started making attractive cars, but the German labour is expensive, Korean competition for the same buyer group is very strong and the Brexit made the whole package worth 400 million dollars less. If the Brexit wouldn't have happened, Opel would have reached break-even. Rumours are PSA wants Opel because of GM's EV-tech.

Apparently the loss has been 15 billion dollars in the past 17 years. They háve finally started making attractive cars, but the German labour is expensive, Korean competition for the same buyer group is very strong and the Brexit made the whole package worth 400 million dollars less. If the Brexit wouldn't have happened, Opel would have reached break-even. Rumours are PSA wants Opel because of GM's EV-tech.

Yeah I understand, it should be interesting. PSA haven't exactly been the picture of stability themselves for the past decade. As for Korean competition, a highly specced Kia Optima sportwagon drove past me earlier and I was like... damn that's stunning. And then I reflected on the fact i'd just called a Kia stunning.

I know that feeling. Kias are beautiful these days, seriously good bang for your buck. And Korean reliability seems to have made a name for itself as Japanese reliability did. It's bound to be hard for Opel to compete with that.

It's a shame really, as you say Opel have been putting out some quality attractive cars in recent years, but personally I think Citroen and Peugeot has been killing it, so it's not necessarily a bad thing to be under the PSA wing. Of course the question is, will they keep manufacturing in Germany and the UK (post brexit). There's a few thousand jobs for Brits hanging on the line here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ferrari Accused Of Allowing Illegal Odometer Rollbacks In New Lawsuit

Ferrari have allegedly been caught out allowing their dealers to roll back the odometres on some of theirs, the case in question is a LaFerrari whose owner was allowed to roll back the mileage to 0, supposedly adding $1 million to the value of the car.

The piece of equipment mechanics use to do this has to get approval from Ferrari before being used, there is supposed to be just one in the US, so if this rollback did happen, Ferrari gave a green light. This could be huge, but I doubt it will be.