We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Project CARS 2 has been announced already.

Eudemon

[headline]Project CARS 2 goes early[/headline]

Well what do you think about this? Project CARS was only released in May remember and now we have an official announcement of the next one. Now of course this isn't a shut up shop on pCARS and let's get busy on pCARS 2 only but the timing of the news is very unlike the norm, even if we all know that a lot of sequels start their planning and pre-production shortly before a games release or a small time afterwards.

4801860_orig.jpg

What do you think of this and what do you want to see them bring to pCARS 2 that they didn't or won't with pCARS?

No year for release for the next one, but with all the groundwork essentially done it could more than likely do a Forza Motorsport (maybe a Gran Turismo one? :lol:) sort of development turnaround.

Sauce: Announcing Project CARS 2! - Project CARS

I suppose that's the difference between SMS and its rivals, this crowd-funding platform they use results in them having to lay their cards out on the table so early in the production process to attract the necessary finance to finish their plans.

It's nice to see something different in a rather monotonous industry, but it does get a bit boring in just how much each small detail is then discussed in the time between now and release in comparison to other games.

The support for the first game will still be strong but due to the way the games are funded it is possible they need to get the word out to get the necessary backing. It's risky and people are commenting on it being 'way early' but again like I said in the op, every developer is doing this, it's just that they don't announce it.

Well it's either this or they let half their dev team go due to having nothing to do. The announcement is more for people who want to join WMD and get early access. Just like last time, they need to present some basic ideas as to what the finished product might be like, but that's all subject to change along the way as the community gets involved.

It's just a shame so many journalists don't 'get it'. SMS will be able to do so much more for for pCARS 1 post-launch than EA permitted them to do with Shift. I know it's not perfect but they are very focussed on getting it all sorted. It's darn hard to keep up to date with all the dev posts on the public forum and I'm not even at work!

calster, they're doing both. There are 40 staff dedicated to pC1.

There are essentially 3 options:

1. Continue supporting Project CARS 1 for 2 years.

* Don't start work on a sequel and sack 90 employees who have nothing to do.

* Make the community wait an extra 2 years for a sequel.

2. Continue support Project CARS 1 for 2 years.

* Start working on Project CARS 2 in secret.

* Invite community to join in 2 years later at Build 500 and have reduced input on the game direction.

3. Continue supporting Project CARS 1 for 2 years.

* Be open and honest with the community by announcing Project CARS 2 early.

* Allow community to play Build 001 and give feedback.

* Allow community to help shape game direction right from the start.

I hope you guys can see that option 3 is the best for everyone. Every single studio out there does much the same thing - as soon as a game launches, a large part of the team gets to work on the next project. They just don't tell you.

That said, there is no need to rush out and join and help fund pC2. If you weren't active in the first project, then honestly, don't bother. SMS have indicated that they don't need the money.

If you are interested:

* Note that there is no investment component this time.

* There are no requestable refunds.

* Sign-ups are expected to be available for 2-3 months.

* If you join as a bronze member then you should be able to upgrade your account and pay the difference after sign-ups close.

* There is an NDA on screenshots and video 'until generic cars and proper tracks are available'

* You must sign up with your real name.

* SMS will try and get alpha and beta builds (but not daily) out to console players (silver tier and higher).

The only reason WMD is back for pC2 is because SMS have openly acknowledged the benefit community members have been able to provide. They really don't want noise-makers or complainers there, so if you don't trust yourself, stay put. But don't complain 2 years later if you missed out. :)

last time[/url], they need to present some basic ideas as to what the finished product might be like, but that's all subject to change along the way as the community gets involved.

It's just a shame so many journalists don't 'get it'. SMS will be able to do so much more for for pCARS 1 post-launch than EA permitted them to do with Shift. I know it's not perfect but they are very focussed on getting it all sorted. It's darn hard to keep up to date with all the dev posts on the public forum and I'm not even at work!

no? All the pcars2 content could've gone into the current game (as dlc or FREE UPDATE HELLO?) which lacks in a lot of areas. They better have a deal with EA to explain this nonsense.

I really don't see all the hate, people don't realize that many game studios do start working on sequels whilst still supporting the original game. It's just the fact that they often don't announce them this early. If the game is in development for 3-5 years, I don't see why they couldn't announce the project starting now. And like Ryan said, they do have staff for both making new content for the original game and starting on the sequel. I'm excited :nods:

I think the hate is mostly from just how early this was announced. People have only just settled into PCARS1, with it only being official released 1 and a half months ago. Along with the asking for money even though they claim to not need it.

Unless pCARS 2 is going to be a whole new platform (game engine or whatever) then I can't help but think anything they work on for 2 should be going into 1. I know they've said they are going to continue to support and add to pCARS but I'd much rather they continue working primarily on that, adding more cars and maybe some sort of rally mode. This whole releasing a sequel 1-2 years after the first game really annoys me. I'd happily wait 4 years between games so that by the time it actually comes out it feels like a whole new game, like going from Forza 1 to 3, instead of 2, 3 and 4 which are all very similar...

Yah, why not just dump (some of) the new stuff into pCARS_1. I get the reasoning behind the news but they could have really waited at least few months with the announcement.

Exactly, I find it odd to think that most of the staff will lose their jobs if they don't announce it right this minute :huh: