We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

F1 2016 - News/Calendar/Updates

CLR-GTR

It's ugly and I hate it.

Poor CLR. :(

It's not the prettiest thing but I'm sure it could be worse. And if it's for safety then I'm all for it. We've had a few near misses in the last couple of years with cars going on top of one another and also Bianchi.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ugly and I hate it.

Hey, buddy, thanks, I'll post again next time I find something :jealous:

:p

I don't like the looks of it either though, I can fully understand it's for safety but then I'd rather have em go all-in and make those closed-canopy cars you sometimes see in renders.

I hope if small parts hit it under an angle they don't get reflected towards the chest of the driver, otherwise they might as well give him a bulletproof suit that way. Then I'd fall back to what I said earlier: either not or full-way closed canopy like a jetfighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Bull's alternative has been digitalized based on the words of their team boss mentioning an open-top canopy with windscreen. It's a hoop on two supports with a wrap-around acrylic screen. Looks a lot better imo than Ferrari's dowsing solution.

It looks even better now that Redbull has actually released official images of their concept for a semi-shielded cockpit:

f1-red-bull-canopy-2016-a-possible-future-semi-closed-canopy-design-by-red-bull.jpg

f1-red-bull-canopy-2016-a-possible-future-semi-closed-canopy-design-by-red-bull.jpg

And in further news: the tear-off ban has been postponed to the GP of Spain. It has been delayed on request of the teams, who funny enough were the ones to ask for this ban. Those same teams have also all voted to return to the old qualifying system, with for example Horner declaring it a mistake the new system made it through.

• 1 month later...

Holy crap. Rumours are flying around that Red Bull and Toro Rosso are going to switch Kvyat for Verstappen. Talk about being publicly humiliated.

The reason this is holy crap is because people are saying it might happen next week, rather than inbetween seasons. Some reputable sources too not just gossip. Wow.

It's official, Red Bull has confirmed it and Max Verstappen has also released an official statement thanking the Torro Rosso team for everything and expressing his joy on this special and quicker-than-expected opportunity. It's also an immediate measurement, he'll be driving his first meters in the RB car on Friday.

Finally he now has a proper car :D

ChsENFoUoAAMYAS.jpg:large

EDIT: several sources say there are more reasons for the transfer, specifically that there were growing tensions between Sainz and Verstappen.... mmmmm interesting.

All I can say is wow.

Well, that was a lie but we've all had bad days at the office so to speak and imo he didn't deserve this. "There were other reasons" sure, and Pigs can fly.

Having said that, it will be interesting to see what Verstappen can do in the RB and to be able to compare his performances to Ricciardos.

Yeah I do not for one minute think the Sainz/Verstappen thing is true. If it was, manage your god damn drivers Toro Rosso, I'd imagine the rivalry between Hamilton and Rosberg last year was much worse and you didn't see one of them getting the sack.

Then at least this move is thanks to the next reasons, as mentioned by Sport Bild after an interview with Helmut Marko himself:

- Kvyat was in the shadow of the much better and more constant performing Ricciardo. He put too much pressure on himself to try and become better, and failed doing so.

- RB's and TR's teams are contracted by Red Bull, not by the racing teams. This allows for easier moving of drivers between the teams.

- Kvyat is still considered too good to be kicked out of the Red Bull racing teams family.

Combining points above, they were able to keep him within the ''family'' by putting him in the other team, while also giving him a more relaxed mindset. This is also confirmed by Christian Horner who said Kvyat has a change to proof his potential again in a team he's familiar with, in order to get back into shape.

Max Verstappen in the mean time has a great potential, and bringing him to the A-team might be the only way to keep him within the "family" despite the pull from Ferrari and Mercedes.

Source (german): http://sportbild.bild.de/motorsport/formel-1/formel-1/red-bull-schiebt-crash-pilot-kwjat-zu-toro-rosso-ab-45682828.sport.html

No tensions?

[h=2]Max Verstappen's former race engineer Xevi Pujolar has confirmed his departure from Toro Rosso, as revealed by Motorsport.com earlier.[/h]In the wake of Verstappen's switch to Red Bull, and talk of tension between the Dutchman and team-mate Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso chiefs have moved to reshuffle its staff too.

It has been decided that Pujolar will be departing the team, which he joined after spells at Jaguar, Hispania and Williams.

The move comes after reports of an argument between Pujolar and Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost at the Russian Grand Prix.

In a tweet sent on Thursday night, Pujolar said he was now looking forward to his next challenge.

Pujolar confirms split with Toro Rosso

Combining points above, they were able to keep him within the ''family'' by putting him in the other team, while also giving him a more relaxed mindset. This is also confirmed by Christian Horner who said Kvyat has a change to proof his potential again in a team he's familiar with, in order to get back into shape.

They can say whatever they want, this is nothing but public humiliation for Kyvat.

As for the tensions mentioned, I still refuse to believe it's a simple Kyvat-Sainz tension (or between their respective teams), there's obviously been a lot of tensions going on behind the scenes but I don't think it's as straight forward as they'd have us believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Great race :D

Looking forward to seeing the aftermath of that Merc implosion.

Congrats to Max, that really is a fantastic result. It's a bit bittersweet as I'd have loved Ricciardo to win as he's such a great guy but it's good to see Max's career take off, I think he's got a bright future ahead.

Best race in ages. Verstappen did an amazing job under pressure from Kimi and I have to say that even as a diehard Kimi fan, I'm not disappointed with the result. After all, Ferrari got a double podium. I wouldn't mind more races like this, if only Ferrari could up their game to properly challenge Mercedes like this. My heart was racing for basically half the race :nods:

Also, Ricciardo seems to have taken some classes in the Red Bull Torpedo Academy as well :eek: