We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

F1 2016 - News/Calendar/Updates

CLR-GTR

I'm surprised the behaviour of Lewis' strategists hasn't been questioned more after the race?

To threaten the lead driver with losing first choice at the pit stop mid-race is crazy and so weird for Merc, LH's reaction came across a bit like 'why the hell would you do that? I dare you to do it, go on, I dare you' :lol:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the Strategy Group (6 biggest teams, Bernie and Jean) has voted against early-adaptation of the >>>>>H@LO<<<<!!!!!!-device. Teams were already not very happy with current solutions, not in the last place because of looks, and whether or not the cockpit should be closed off entirely if they're at it anyway. Result of this is that 2017 will still have open cockpits. The teams want more time to come up with something better than the rushed improvised solutions that have been tested so far.

I think it's a good decision. If F1 will have to get better cockpit protection, imo you might as well close it entirely with a good looking canopy instead of that stupid Y-bone Ferrari and RedBull have tested in real. Ofcourse everything has its downsides, then again you can never fully eliminate the danger of severe injuries or fatal accidents. I'm curious to see what they'll end up using.

BIG EDIT: there seems to be more news:

- the ban on radio communications between drivers and team during races has been lifted immediately. It will still be forbidden during formation laps to prevent teams instructing their drivers how to achieve optimal starts.

- as of now, there are no more penalties for passing track limits as it would be difficult to have everybody agree on whether the pass gave any advantages.

- rolling starts behind the SC during rainy races are no more as of now. The SC will lead the field for a few laps to determine the situation (as usual), but when the SC goes in, all drivers will line up on the starting grid for a standing start. It is expected that tire changes will not be allowed until after completing the first lap after race start.

- from 2017, during an interruption of the race, no changes to the F1 cars are allowed. This means for example no more free pitstop and tire change during a red flag.

Source of all this is motorsports.com

Good news on the radio comms rule being heavily lifted.

Also thanks to Rosberg, double yellow flag situations will now result in a red flag in qualifying. Thanks Rosberg/moron stewards.

And no more track limits? Drivers were being threatened with penalties for exceeding tracking limits in free practice 2. I thought it was called practice for a reason...

So these are the new wheels for 2017... I thought they were going for larger rim diameters with thinner side walls, but it seems they just underlined "balloon" in "balloon tires".

Current widths btw are 245 and 325. They've been tested by Ferrari already as you can see below, Red Bull and Mercedes will start testing in the upcoming days. The other teams thanked for the opportunity, most likely the costs are too high for them. Their earliest shot at driving on these steamrollers will be around november/december.

Ferrari-banden-2017-750-2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hamilton is 26 points behind Rosberg with 3 races left, meaning if he retires from the race on Sunday in Mexico and Rosberg wins the championship will be over with 2 races left. Hammy would need 51 points when only 50 would be available. This isn't that unrealistic a scenario either really.

The championship is Rosberg's, I've gotten over the disappointment of him getting it but it doesn't change how underwhelming the end of this F1 season will be.

Hamilton is 26 points behind Rosberg with 3 races left, meaning if he retires from the race on Sunday in Mexico and Rosberg wins the championship will be over with 2 races left. Hammy would need 51 points when only 50 would be available. This isn't that unrealistic a scenario either really.

The championship is Rosberg's, I've gotten over the disappointment of him getting it but it doesn't change how underwhelming the end of this F1 season will be.

Rosberg would be the 2nd most undeserving champion of F1 after Jacq Villeneuve.

• 1 month later...

This is really rather bizarre :shrug:

Can't say I feel happy or sad about it, just a bit surprised it has happened. He's always been very family oriented on social media so I guess fair play to him for choosing that life.

How long have Mercedes known this? When did Hamilton find out? Do we genuinely think this had no say in Merc favouring Rosberg towards the end of this season? (the team orders in the last race in particular).

What next for Mercedes? Who will replace him? :hmmm: Bottas? People have suggested Alonso but I'm not sure Mercedes will rush to give the seat to someone we know Hamilton doesn't get along with, especially after the stress over Ham/Ros.

What next for Rosberg? :hmmm: Pundit? TV personality? Disappearance slowly into the abyss?

Esteban Ocon and Pascal Wehrlein are part of Mercedes driver programme. I think Ocon was already in a team, Wehrlein not yet. Lots of people in holland want Max to go there, but that won't happen either because Merc would have to pay massively to Red Bull.

EDIT: according to a dutch car blog site, this picture was posted on instagram. Talking to The Fossil is the Dutch prince Bernard, who is a former GT4 race driver and who now owns the Zandvoort race track. Hashtags included with this picture would hint at talks about hosting F1 races in Holland.

Bernhard-Bernard.jpg

Esteban Ocon and Pascal Wehrlein are part of Mercedes driver programme. I think Ocon was already in a team, Wehrlein not yet. Lots of people in holland want Max to go there, but that won't happen either because Merc would have to pay massively to Red Bull.

Ocon or Wehlrein are too inexperienced to be a part of Mercedes F1 team and also too amateur to be Lewis's teammate. Remember 2008? Lewis completely demolished Heikki Kovalainen in the same car. I dont see Pascal Wehlrein happening. And for Max, I don't think Mr. Horner or Dietrich Mateschitz will let him leave, Max is a major factor for Red Bull's fan base and he is also backed up by Sponsors. And the way i see it, 2017 will be dominated by Red Bull since the 2017 cars are more aerodynamic and FKING ADRIAN NEWEY.

I was also thinking about Wehrlein, having a very obvious junior driver in the team might feed Hamilton's ego and make him happier, and it might provide some exciting races in that he might actually be better than Ham or be slow and give other teams a chance (if 2017 goes like the previous few seasons, though all indications so far are that it won't).

I wonder if Rosberg's resignation will stop people criticising Hamilton for his celebrity/A-list lifestyle? F1 was too much for Rosberg on top of his family life, Lewis seems to have found something that works for him :shrug: