We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PSU problem

RobikV3

So i bought my 970GTX yesterday and the problem started, my current PSU is Modecom Feel 1 500W with rest of the rign GA M720 Mobo 6GB DDR2 ram 800hz (in 4 sticks) ,Phenom II X4 840 CPU and 1 TB WD drive.

The problem is, after upgrading the GPU my PSU started to make weird noises under load, like screetching inside of it, like theres something burning in it, theres also some kind of twitching/refreshing noticeable on screen in games, and it shuts down randomly.

So my question is is it just the PSU being too weak? I mean i read some threads on net, and people have a lot better rigs running at 500-550W PSUs without problems and mine's crashing after upgrading the GPU only?

Or is it something wrong with GPU itself?

Im gonna go back to the store tomorrow, anyway but i though ill ask you guys as well, maybe somebody had similar problem and can share some light on this, cause i really lost my head now...

So my question is is it just the PSU being too weak? I mean i read some threads on net, and people have a lot better rigs running at 500-550W PSUs without problems and mine's crashing after upgrading the GPU only?

better rig =/= more power consumption.

Sounds to me like a PSU problem.

Must be a PSU problem. Never heard of Modecom PSUs and a quick google leads me to believe that they are budget PSUs so it's very unlikely that it could reach its headline power rating.

A 500watt PSU should be more than enough to run your PC if it's a good quality PSU. But you'd be better off getting one that is rated at around 600-650watts to keep the load on the PSU low so it doesn't get too warm and runs most efficiently.

My PC at full load with stress tests on CPU, GPU, Memory and disks only pulls between 350 and 400watts from the wall. Gaming doesn't go above 250watts.

I've got a power meter than I can plug things into that tells me how much power things are using.

Make sure you get a well known brand. The last thing you want is for your new parts to get damaged by the PSU!

Also, I'd recommend that you don't use the current PSU with the 970 installed otherwise you risk damaging it.

So i bought new PSU Thermaltake Litepower 700W black edition, and well pc isnt shutting itself down but still under load it gets quite hot and noisy like its going on full power...

I feel like something is damaged in my, pc mobo or ram and its draining too much power i seriously have enough of this crap :/

And after few hours with this PSU i think im gonna return it or change it, its just unbearably loud, i should have get something good not whatever they had in shop, stupid me always same stupid mistakes :fp:

Can't you return it and get a different one? Not sure what the returns laws are like where you are.

If you have a decent computer with good, and expensive parts in it then never scimp on the PSU. Think I paid around £70(about 100 euros?) for mine.

Sure, the PSU doesn't improve the performance of the computer but a good one will run the computer as intended and should not cause any damage to any of the components.

You'll also need to check how many amps the GPU needs and how many amps the PSU outputs on the 12V rail. Also remember, the CPU, mobo, hardrives etc also need a certain amount of power so also account for those on top of the GPU requirements.

Yeah im returning it on Monday, it turns out that one of fan blades is broken off lol, came in buble wrap and still damaged but idk how i didnt notice that yesterday :fp:

I hope theyll let pick another one maybe ill pay little more but at least get a good product, im gonna go for a Corsair they cost little more than waht i payed for this one, probably should have ordered that one in first place