We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Windows 8.1 asking for activation 5 months after activation

CLR-GTR

Running a legit Windows 8.1 Pro with all the updates that windows update gave me. Early this week, windows deactivated my key so now I have to reactivate it 4 or 5 months after installing Windows.

- Calling function on pc: doesn't work, empty screen, no phone number shows up, no button works except for [Cancel].

- Calling after manually searching for the phone number: only during office times, aka I gotta take a day off from work to do this and they most likely won't work in weekends.

- Online activating: doesn't work, can't establish a connection while the internet is up and running.

- Entering product code: doesn't get recognized although the ''current used key'' shows the very valid key.

- Error code shown is 0xC004F012, a license related service could not be started.

- Tried running in safe mode, to enter services.msc, to find Software License Service and start it. It's not in the services.msc.

- Tried running malwarebytes for signs of malware that might have done stuff: couldn't find anything.

- Did diskchecks: no errors.

Any ideas?

Activation changed in Windows 8 for OEM devices such as laptops/tablets/hybrids with OEM keys being saved inside a chip on the motherboard as part of UEFI. I had a Toshiba laptop with a corrupted key which required them to pick it up under warranty as reflash a new key from their server.

If this is a PC you built yourself and then loaded Windows from DVD, then that's not going to apply. You can try going to System Properties, then click 'Change Product Key' and enter it again.

Make sure the variant you installed (Standard/Pro/Pro with Media Center) matches your key.

As a side point, buying the Media Centre feature replaces your normal Win8 key.

All we can do here is just ask further questions and provide links you've probably already found via Google, so best to call Microsoft and let them resolve it.

I cánt take a day off to be able to reach em (office hours only support...). If they won't work on Saturday, my first chance will be Monday december 21st...

I tried what you suggested. Won't work. I found out yesterday there is stuff missing that's important for activating. There should be a Software License entry in Services.msc, and I don't have it. A 3 hour search session yesterday made as much clear as: there is no other way to fix it other than getting a new key from MS.

Install RogueKiller by Tigzy, do a few passes of that, then install the free trial of MalwareBytes AntiMalware Pro. While you're there, install the free version of Anti-Exploit.

If worse comes to worse, try the Refresh/Reset OS feature in Windows 8 after backing up your data.

Finally got everything backed up. What I notice is that basically since today, it actually starts interrupting programs to beg for activation. It hasn't done that in the past week but now it actually pulls the blue screen forwards.

Tomorrow 10 gets installed. Hopefully that fixes a few issues.

I'm pretty sure that will only stay activated for so long until MS end that program and then it will revert back to asking for activation with a retail key.

E: Turns out that may work. Earlier on the Insider program they said that the various preview builds would no longer be activated a short time after the release build was released. :shrug:

I just picked a random newer build - the one I used was the first one released, which should have stopped activating weeks before launch. Being able to activate 8 again on a clean install does lend weight to my thoughts of malware screwing things up.