We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Been a long time coming but say hello to SEVEN!

Eudemon

[headline]Stairway to SEVEN[/headline]

Hey there muppets, major sorrys for the extended downtime but if you knew what it takes to do everything we (just me) have done in that time you would gladly commit me to a mental asylum. So this is SEVEN, why that name? Well boringly enough it is because this is our seventh new look. Yes in over 8 years we have had seven looks now. Our previous will go down as the longest to serve on our pages and was actually close to hitting the 3 year mark in October. :eek:

With the world being ever more with their eyes glued to their small-screen devices it was time for us to get on-board and give those tech-muppet visitors and members a (hopefully!) working version of our forum that is more user-friendly and has greater readability for them. I tested on a number of devices from high-end via the other staff to basic tablets and smartphones from about 5 years ago. Prior to that, I cannot guarantee what kind of experience you will have but if it's not good please let me know and I'll look into a way of fixing it, should my brain be up to the task. :nuts: Also the small-screen experience is more geared towards those viewing on fast connections and wi-fi as it's really hard to justify limiting the typical large images, reaction gifs and youtube posting habits of our members.

SEVEN is a culmination of my very real blood, sweat and very many tears. It has taken a fair amount of time and had a few setbacks and even an almost total going back to the drawing board moment but I pushed on, I continued, I tested, I played, I tested and played, I caused many mistakes, many errors and no doubt there are still some about on here. I couldn't do everything I wanted but the main slices are eaten and now it's time to see how it fairs under the weight of you lot. It could go well, it could go disastrous but there's only one way to see and that is to allow the door to open and for you to use us as you always have.

Please enjoy our new look and give feedback to what you think, whether it be good, bad or made of cheese. :duck:

Cheers!

- Diablo and the turboduck team

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*likes your post*

Looks really slick. Great work!

The background may not show for some users on desktops/laptops for reasons beyond being wholly reasonable. In this situation the background will appear grey.

And when is NINE coming? :cheeky:

Sven (as I like to call it) also has a little livery to go along with it (nothing speshul, and the speshul bits weren't even done by me)

2015-02-28_00004.jpg

Which reminds me, you still haven't switched around the pCARS icon on the Index page yet with the one I made :smig:

But congratulation on the successful upgrade, Ando.

btw it's worth letting you know that Diablo has been working on SEVEN since early 2014 - the amount of work he has put into this is phenomenal (or he's just reeeaaally slow cheeky.gif)

Haha as true as that is it's also not entirely accurate for what we have now. Back then I started work on the next style and it wasn't going to be that far away from what we had previously, then I started thinking about involving small-screen device support and worked away on learning about that. Looking at the stats of our visitors it was only about 11% who were using non-desktop devices to access us so I flopped to a full-on desktop version and a basic mobile to accompany it. After getting close to the end of that with the desktop version I started playing about and looking at how my tests were going thanks to Chrome and Firefox's tools to show Responsive design and yet again I changed my mind and essentially had to go back to the half-way point and work from there.

We're not going to win any awards for a clean efficient way of going about it, but as long as it works and doesn't cause huge issues for our visitors I am perfectly happy with how it ended up.

It was actually about a year after starting that I really dived into here and got it together.

the bold is also true. :D

At first I was, like how do I turn on the desktop view??? :panic: Then I realized that it really might be the desktop version, but nicely optimised for mobile. :lol:

I haven't seen it on pc yet (just woke up) but finally it's not a PITA to browse and post on mobile and it's looking pretty slick. I'm glad everything went well, you're alive bla bla bla finally I can now continue spamming this site, haha. Congrats and thanks, D!

By the way, where's the like button?